cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insight on how Job Success Score is calculated

Tanya T Member Since: Mar 2, 2009
21 of 314

I agree freelancers should not be penalized for the hiring party's failure to actually undertake the work after the initial hiring has taken place.  Also, sometimes clients halt projects for reasons unknown and then leave these open jobs just dangling forever.  Isn't there some way a freelancer can end a contract or project without having to refund all monies earned?  In fairness, there should be an option  to do this type of closure after for example a 24 month time frame has lapsed. 

Thanks for allowing me this opportunity to comment since I currently have 16 unclosed work assignments that are very aged. 

Regards,

Tanya Thomas

Rebecka W Member Since: Apr 22, 2015
22 of 314

I have a client that I worked for twice, but both jobs were under the same long-term contract. Therefore, I've never gotten positive feedback from the client. When I provided him with the latest work (which was over a month ago), he said that it was exactly what he needed and thank you. After that, I haven't heard from him. I've asked him to close the contract. However, I assume he's not logging into UPwork because he doesn't need anymore work (he hasn't posted any new jobs on here).

So, this is going to count against me? He got what he wanted and quit using Upwork and it will be counted negatively in my ratings? That's not fair.

Hardeep S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
23 of 314

I think there should be a policy where Upwork should charge a refundable security from clients , which may be refunded after closing the job. That will motivate clients to end the job.

Ace Contributor
Anton C Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
24 of 314

Will someone answer my question regarding the phrase "Contracts paused due to poor client behavior are not considered in your score"? I still can't figure out how I may know which contracts are paused due to "poor client behaviour", and which due to some other reason. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
25 of 314

Hi Anton,

You will be able to click on the question mark icon next to the contract if it's paused or placed on hold and it will take you to an article that would explain potential reasons for the hold.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Anton C Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
26 of 314

Valeria, there are no question marks next to paused contracts. I may send you a screenshot, I have such contracts. Yes, there are such marks next to hold contracts, but look how informative they are: "There are many possible reasons for your client’s suspension, although we can’t discuss specifics due to privacy concerns". In other words, we freelancers are not entitled to know why a contract is on hold.

Really, I never imagined that I asked such a tough question that moderators can't answer. That's a pity, because I think it's very important. It lets me know which contracts are detrimental for me, and which are not, and I may take some action against the former. It is strange that this issue was not explained in the original article, to start with.

Asif U Member Since: Jul 11, 2013
27 of 314

Hello valeria, 

How to increase JS? Few days ago i have 100% and i got many jobs. Also they given me good feedback. But now its 88% JS. I dont know why that is happen. Can you tell me why its descrese? How increase my JS? 

I'm waiting for your replay. Thank you in advance. 

Saymara R Member Since: Sep 5, 2015
28 of 314

I have the same question.  This is very confusing Smiley Sad

Ace Contributor
Roman M Member Since: Feb 25, 2015
29 of 314

"Thus far, Job Success scores have proven successful at helping great freelancers stand out to clients and land more projects, with twice the number of contracts going to the best freelancers in the marketplace than before"

I hope this ^^ affects me as well. I believe I am one of the best freelancers here due to my superb work and  impeccable track record. However, I hardly get invitations when the job success score was implemented. For the past 1 and a half year, I didn't had to apply for jobs, jobs come to me. Actually, its my first time using connects this week. When I look up job postings, the invitations go to new comers and sometimes non top rated freelancers. I believe those invitations are automated and I think I should be included. Oh well. Man Sad

Ace Contributor
Ilya K Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
30 of 314

I had 100% JS rate one month ago.

Now I have 90%.

At last update it dropped to 93%, though I close 2 contracts and receive all positive feedback.

Last 2 weeks I did nothing at Upwork, and got JS rate drop.

Good job.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS