Did you mean: 

Insight on how Job Success Score is calculated

Ace Contributor
Jonathan R Member Since: Mar 6, 2018
311 of 317

Avery,

I quote Moderator Vladimir G

04/03/2017

"In addition to the 6-month window, Job Success Score is also calculated for a 12 and 24-month period. The best score out of three windows is displayed on freelancer profiles every two weeks after the Job Success Score is updated."

But your saying there only a 24 month period.  
Please explane.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
312 of 317

Hi Jonathan,

Yes that is correct, Job success score is calculated for contracts that have been finished in the past two years.
If you have any additional questions feel free to post them here, thank you!

Untitled
Yaroslav Y Member Since: Apr 3, 2019
313 of 317

Today my JSS dropped from 95 to 91. All because of clients for which it is normal not to leave feedback. My previous 4 jobs closed without feedback, clients just disappear, How can I affect them? Really hate this kind of clients!

My JSS not in my hands, I'm angry!!! 

Matthew M Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
314 of 317

Is there a way for ongoing clients to give positve feedback? I have client here on Upwork that I've worked with since Sept 2017 (approaching 6 months, just shy of 260 hours and over $14k in earnings so far). But as far as I know, they don't rate me until they stop working with me. The job continues to be ongoing, with no foreseeable end in sight. The client continues to work with me because they like my work. It'd be great if that can be conveyed to other prospective clients. This isn't a long project that simply hasn't reached the end deliverables; it's ongoing on a weekly or monthly basis. If the client didn't like my work, they'd have stopped hiring me months ago. Does this make sense? But as it stands right now, no one but my client or I knows I'm doing work they like. It seems like this is a huge miss that leaves a lot on the table.

Am I missing something, or is this an opportunity for Upwork to improve how contractor like myself are rated for Job success when we have ongoing success for months on end with the same client? I can't imagine I'm the sole contractor that has long-term client engagement through Upwork.

Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
315 of 317

Hello Matthew,

Unfortunately, the only way a client can give you a feedback is when either one of you decided to close the contract. If you are working on a different project but with the same client, you may ask them to close your current contract, leave you a feedback and then open a new contract for the new project. Thank you.

Untitled
Jane C Member Since: Apr 23, 2019
316 of 317

I'm a part-timer as I've been completing post grad studies, but now I'm stepping back to the plate.

Although I used to be told I was in the top 5% of my category, I now have a JSS of just 70%. I no longer receive invites. I currently have some bigger paying clients who are coming back, but not leaving feedback. I do ask, but they're busy professionals, and I guess they don't get around to it.

I've had an ongoing contract where a staff member has left and then I've not heard from the new staffer, so can't chase for feedback once I've eventually closed the contract.

If there's bad feedback somewhere, I don't know about it, so haven't a clue what I should do about it.

I have already read the info pages about JSS calculation, and note that lack of feedback shouldn't bring the JSS down, unless it's "excessive". As I've been a part timer over the past 2 years, there's every chance that an algorithm might decide that a lack of feedback is excessive, regardless of my client's real responses expressed to me!

So what is your suggestion - that I keep badgering my clients like a school kid, which I clearly don't want to do when nurturing an ongoing professional relationship? Or that I should do very small jobs for a few cents per 1000 words, plus +ve feedback, purely to improve the JSS?

Yes, I'm frustrated!

Community Leader
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
317 of 317

Insist on the importance of feedback from before starting the job, and don't begin until you receive confirmation they will leave feedback. Don't ask for 5-star feedback specifically - you're not allowed to do that. Just make sure they understand how important it is for you they leave (any) feedback, and that you wouldn't do the task otherwise.

Not leaving feedback is unprofessional on their part, so it's perfectly ok to make it a requirement.