cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interested in trying out a new beta feature on Upwork?

Dave S Member Since: Jan 14, 2016
91 of 277

I would also be interested in testing this.

https://www.upwork.com/fl/davesnyder

George T Member Since: Aug 17, 2019
92 of 277

Is there a reason why there is only a fixed payment option for projects, rather than an hourly rate? Or am I missing something and this option is available?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
93 of 277

Hi George,

Popular Projects allow freelancers to set an estimate of what a completed project would cost. This is often determined by the number of hours it would take them to do the project multiplied by their hourly rate. When asking for a quote, the details are worked out like any other project, the freelancer and client can decide on if a fixed price or hourly project is a better fit.

~ Valeria
Untitled
94 of 277

I understand, but for translator/content writing it would be fairly impossible to provide even a ballpark figure as it depends absolutely on the number of pages the client wants done. I'm not sure, for example, what to even indicate for legal translation: I've had orders for 5$, 50$ and even 300$, all depending largely on the number of pages.

If there are no plans to add in an hourly rate, the only workaround I see is me specifying the number of pages in the project itself, i.e "I will translate 100 pages of legal documentation for 1000$". That should work too, however I'd like to see more customization options for a broader array of job offers. Maybe even a 'per page' cost option for us translators and content producers?

Nevertheless, great job with the initiative, I hope it moves forward as planned!

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
Steven O Member Since: Aug 15, 2019
96 of 277

So I guess for the past few days my profile said I was offering services that I don't offer for prices that I don't offer. I do think that offering "gigs" simmilar to how Fiverrr works is a good idea and I did quickly edit mine so people are not mislead into thinking that the default ones ore real. 

My question is can I add delete or re-arrange the order? 

Again, I do like the idea but I want to give some feedback on the exicution... To just add this LIVE to peoples profiles and just guess at gigs and prices is not optimal 2 reasons.

#1 the frelancer may not want to offer that service or price or want to use this feature and your going to put someone in a really aqward position if they get a message asking for said service / price combo. 

#2 If a client is searching for a freelancer and every page they go to has the same generic "I'll make you a logo for $50" there going to ignore it after they see it a few times because there going to relize that the section is a default feature and it will have a negative effect on freelancers who want to take advantage of the new feature. 

Giving freelancers a message making them aware of the new feature and encuraging them to turn it on and use it, then promoting the "popular projects" to clients searching for them seems like it would have a more desirable outcome for both client and freelancer.  

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
97 of 277

Hi George,

Thanks for sharing your experience and concerns about the ability to correctly reflect your rate and type of jobs you usually complete in this feature. We recommend showcasing projects that you repeatedly do for clients. These can be small or big projects and you can add as many details in the description as you want, including information like the rate per ceratin number of pages and any other factors you prefer. Once the client clicks ‘Request a Quote’, they will have the option to add more details of their own so you can provide a better quote for their particular request.

98 of 277

Thank you for the swift reply, Vladimir. I understand and share your opinion that there are multiple ways to present a popular project and customize it through the description field.

Nevertheless, I feel like the price function was designed for freelancers who offer services the full price of which can be ballparked by the nature of the work alone (I will build you a customized wordpress site, I will draw you three versions of a logo, I will create an animated version of your hero in Unity, etc). This is not the case for translators, proofreaders and content writers.

Adding a simple "Price per X" function the price tag should remedy this pretty easily, IMHO. The X could be an hour/word/etc.

I'd love to hear what other freelancers in this field think.

Jennifer C Member Since: Apr 2, 2015
99 of 277

Upwork seems to be trying to simplify things that cannot be simplified.

As another freelancer mentioned, projects are big or small, and even the size or number of pages may not mean much to what a rate must be.  Unless I want to add dozens of projects, there's no way for me to communicate the breadth of the work I do and the potential charges, and without reading a client's description of their work and/or seeing a sample, there's no way for me to say whether I'll charge 10.00 or 25.00 to edit a thousand words.  I don't want an author who I'd charge 200.00 to pass me over because they think I'd charge 2,000.00.  Simplified as it is, this is going to give clients the wrong impression about how much professional work costs, and put me, for instance, in the position of having to explain to a writer that their writing isn't as strong/clean as another's, and therefore the rate is much higher. That's an unpleasant, unnecessary conversation which wouldn't even be broached if there weren't a base rate on my profile.

I've already deleted the "projects" (two of which I didn't do/don't do) that were placed on my profile without my being asked.  I sincerely hope that this won't become a feature of profiles that's mandatory. If it does, that may very well be the last straw that causes me to leave the site.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
100 of 277

Jennifer C wrote:

Upwork seems to be trying to simplify things that cannot be simplified.

As another freelancer mentioned, projects are big or small, and even the size or number of pages may not mean much to what a rate must be.  Unless I want to add dozens of projects, there's no way for me to communicate the breadth of the work I do and the potential charges, and without reading a client's description of their work and/or seeing a sample, there's no way for me to say whether I'll charge 10.00 or 25.00 to edit a thousand words.  I don't want an author who I'd charge 200.00 to pass me over because they think I'd charge 2,000.00.  Simplified as it is, this is going to give clients the wrong impression about how much professional work costs, and put me, for instance, in the position of having to explain to a writer that their writing isn't as strong/clean as another's, and therefore the rate is much higher. That's an unpleasant, unnecessary conversation which wouldn't even be broached if there weren't a base rate on my profile.

I've already deleted the "projects" (two of which I didn't do/don't do) that were placed on my profile without my being asked.  I sincerely hope that this won't become a feature of profiles that's mandatory. If it does, that may very well be the last straw that causes me to leave the site.

I have a sinking feeling it will become a mandatory feature soon. I've also deleted mine; the feature doesn't apply to the kind of work I do, and I can only hope that Upwork doesn't force it on us.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS