Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intro and A focus on Job Search

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
11 of 31

@Tam L wrote:

...Just being clear here: I cannot comment on the other pieces/matches/algorithms you refer to. Those aren't my products and thus I cannot speak to them.  

Tam,

Thanks! I'll try to be quick here. You've got a big job, and much as I appreciate your straightforward answers, I don't want to bog you down in correspondence.

The sentence I've highlighted intrigues me. We sometimes wonder how Upwork can be so proud of its matching, which many of us find so dreadful. Is it:

• Every matching task is ruled by one Master Control Algorithm, which fails by trying to do too many things the same way?
  • Each matching task has its own "product" team, and each team competes for clout and turf to the detriment of the whole "product" that your two core user bases—buyers and sellers—see as one?

That's both rhetorical and an oversimplification, though I imagine you see my point. Both dynamics can be at work in any organization. I hope you find opportunities for coordination and cooperation as you focus on your own mission-critical remit.

Based on my very casual background in market research, Upwork's last phased survey of pricing models struck me as conducted by market research professionals. I hope you have access to the resources you need, whether in-house or out, to do the kind of user research Upwork seems to need so badly.

OK, I've probably exhausted if not overreached my ability to be helpful. Just food for thought, no response expected. Again,

Best of luck,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Corinne L Member Since: Jun 3, 2013
12 of 31

"Making recommended jobs actually recommend you jobs that make sense... Speaking of, something I've been pondering lately, do you think Freelancers want jobs recommended based on their apply history OR do Freelancers want jobs recommended based on what they say they want in their profiles OR both?"

Hi Tam, Both (or at least one or the other, which is not the case at the moment)

I'm an English-French translator and I never received recommanded jobs for English-French translations. Lately I've been receiving recommandations and invitations for japanese translations or japanese writing, dutch to swedish, danish to swedish, english to chinese etc...

Now, I don't know how it works but would it be possible, as far as translation is concerned, to make the algorithm understand that "japanese" "french" "chinese" are the words to take into account when they're associated with the word  "translation" or "translate"?

Highlighted
Staff
Tam L Staff Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
13 of 31

Quick reply here Michael:

• Every matching task is ruled by one Master Control Algorithm, which fails by trying to do too many things the same way?
  • Each matching task has its own "product" team, and each team competes for clout and turf to the detriment of the whole "product" that your two core user bases—buyers and sellers—see as one?

Re question 1: To answer this simply, to my understanding - no.

Re question 2: We don't compete with one another. Though, in thinking about this a bit more, I can see how the possibility that we step on one another's toes is very real. In my short time here, I haven't encountered this, but this is an interesting point that we will need to consider moving forward. 

Also, do you go by Doug/Michael? 

Side note to every one else: Your job feed should now be remembering the exerience level you selected when saving the search. We weren't able to make it apply retroactively (my apologies for the inconvenience), but any any saved search you make from now on will remember. If you're not seeing this, let me know, and I will investigate further. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
14 of 31

Tam,

Thanks, you got the point. I go by Michael, answer to Doug(las).

I only have one saved search, I'll remake it to see if the experience level holds.

Best,
MM

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 31

Tam L wrote: Speaking of, something I've been pondering lately, do you think Freelancers want jobs recommended based on their apply history OR do Freelancers want jobs recommended based on what they say they want in their profiles OR both?

Thanks for taking time to chime in!

Hi Tam, and welcome

I think it needs to take into consideration both - the same as the recommended freelancers the client sees.

Such as how in heaven's name do I come as a recommended freelancer for Teaching Spanish or doing something in Japanese, when neither Japanese, Spanish or Teaching is anywhere on my profile, in my tests, my feedback, my list of skills etc.

This does not create a good user experience for the client when he invites all recommended freelancers and they all decline because they don't have any of the skills needed

In fairness I have to say that myactual job feed seems to work fine for me, I can't actually complain about that!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jeri B Member Since: Feb 15, 2010
16 of 31

Tam 

*EDITED TO CHANGE #2*

That's great news to hear that you are leading the charge on 'cosmetic' as well as functional changes. What you have observed in the forums is accurate: freelancer job search IS broken.

To get away from the clunky process, I use RSS feeds. Unfortunately, that's been broken for at least four weeks. This forces those that aggressively utilize RSS feeds to the very clunky and unreliable job feed.

These are the problems with the Job Feed that are 'cosmetic' and or technical:

1. for more than 10 keyword saved searches, the user has to scroll up and down to click on each keyword . Total waste of time.

2. Why do you have to scroll and select keyword saved searches? Because the "my job feed" is NOT picking up all the jobs that display under all saved keyword searches!! Eventually, they show up. I've grown weary of documenting this for Upwork. Further, 'my job feed' often resets, so you will be skimming along, for ex. to '6 hours ago' then all of the sudden, you are back to 'this job posted 22 minutes ago.' This is totally inconsistent and you never know when to stop. For multiple multiple keywords, this is just unusable.

3. We really need an option to see only the titles. There are times when a 4" high job post is primarily the grey skills boxes. (see item 1).

4. Saved keyword searches very often collect jobs where the keyword is NO WHERE IN THE JOB DESCRIPTION, TITLE, or SKILL!

5. We need to be able to edit our keyword searches without having to delete them and restart.

6. Recommended Jobs is absolutely useless. I would never rely on Upwork algorithms (or whatever) to recommend jobs for me based on the whatever criteria it thinks it has.

7, Further to Recommended Jobs, they are full of entry-level jobs ($) which NONE of my keyword searches would even recognize.

8. I receive absolutely useless, rare, recommended job emails that are so far off what I do that is laughable.

9. In the absence of working RSS feeds (totally unexplainable and unacceptable for a platform that is suppose to be a leader in I.T. system), at the least, having the option for email alerts is betting than nothing--and not an email alert that forces the user to click a link to log in to see the full list!

10. I receive emails from Upwork recruiters for jobs that there is absolutely NO connection between what I do and my saved searches. If recruiters are using their system, they certainly do not have a good system to help us.

I could go on and on, but these are the biggest problems. For those freelancers that are more than willing to participate in solving problems, and not making problems, I hope that you will reach out to them to do some real problem solving and testing.

Jeri B

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Steve E Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
17 of 31

Tam,

It's very welcome news that Upwork is taking steps to address the search issues.

It would be good for you to be aware of this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Upwork-User-Interface-Issue-Suggestion-Box/td-p/117866/h... There is valuable feedback concerning the search functionality posted there.

Also, it sounds like you have teams working on different sections of the site. Is there a 'wizzard' or master team who's overseeing the updates for the whole site? One of the big issues that I see on the site as a whole is a lack of consistency. There should be standards in place that ensure this consistency and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm looking forward to these much needed changes. Thanks.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
18 of 31

This may seem obvious... and may have been suggested before, but have you taken a look at the Elance search code? If nothing else, it would be something to emulate. Upwork owns it so you might as well use it however possible.

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 31

Steve,

I'm surprised you found/find Elance search code worthy of incorporation or emulation. Search and matching were constant sources of complaints there.

Best,

MIchael

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
20 of 31

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Steve,

I'm surprised you found/find Elance search code worthy of incorporation or emulation. Search and matching were constant sources of complaints there.

Best,

MIchael

That may be, but the Elance search is a vast improvement over the current Upwork search engine.  I think it's safe to say that each freelancers search experience, as far as accurate filtering, is based on their field of work and will differ. That being said, there are basic UI usability issues that are ironed out at Elance and could be emulated here. That's not to say that Elance filtering couldn't be used as well. It certainly dosen't hurt to take a look at it and emulate the things that work well.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS