Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing $5 minimum on milestones for fixed price jobs

lenaellis
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 17

Starting today, we no longer support milestones for less than $5 on fixed price jobs.  This minimum is being introduced as part of our effort to maintain the fairness of the Upwork marketplace, as well as to help combat abuse of the milestone system to solicit free work.

Currently our marketplace has the following minimums:

• Hourly rates are a minimum of $3 an hour.
  • Fixed price budgets have a minimum of $5
  • Milestones now also have a minimum of $5.

While we recognize that these minimums may affect some freelancer proposals and certain clients’  fixed-price projects, we feel this is an important step that will help the Upwork marketplace and ultimately benefit everyone.

Untitled
iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
2 of 17
Good change - thank you Upwork.
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 17

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:
Good change - thank you Upwork.

Seconded.

This widget could not be displayed.
4 of 17
This widget could not be displayed.

One step in the right direction. Sorry, I have to say that 3 USD per hour is what a craftsman in Germany earned 1960, nearly 60 years ago and I suppose the rates in the USA have been similar or maybe even better.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 17

Okay... but three dollars per hour is a LOT of money in some places.

I don't have a problem with that minimum.

If this was a Germany-only website, then maybe you'd have a point.

But typical pay rates in one country are not the deciding factor for a global website such as this.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
6 of 17

I don't have a problem with raising the minimum fixed-price contract or milestone rate to $5.00.

This doesn't relieve freelancers from using their brains and making certain before they do work on a fixed-price contract, the full amount that they get expect to be paid is funded before they do work.

Essentially what this does is establish a reasonable minimum threshhold for clients.

So IF you are a client whose budget is so low (compared to typical Upwork clients), that you can only afford to pay a freelancer $1 or $2 or $4 for a project... Then Upwork is no longer the right place for you.

You need to either combine some of your projects or milestones into a single milestone worth at least $5, or you need to use a different website to get your $2 project done.

OR if the project won't take too long, you can hire a freelance with a low hourly rate to do the work.

For example, if you have a job that will only take 30 minutes to do, you can hire a $3.00/hour freelancer to do it, and you would pay only $1.50.

So there are definitely options.

In real life, even as global as this website is, I don't how much work and at what level of quality you'll get for $1.50.

But these options are still available.

Lots of freedom and diversity here.

Personally I am glad that there is not just a single rate for everybody.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
7 of 17

Preston H wrote: 

So IF you are a client whose budget is so low (compared to typical Upwork clients)...

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 17

Margarete,

Your choice of comparison year brings to mind an old headline about German "overemployment" around that time.

yelchuyev96
Ace Contributor
Bakhtiyar Y Member Since: Oct 13, 2016
9 of 17

Preston has a point. Here in Ukraine 3$/hour (which is 500$/month) is a pretty nice rate, waaaay over the established minimum. Some people work for 3$ per day. I know, ridiculous. For everybody except those people. Not saying it's good for the country or encouraging such rates, but Upwork is a multinational platform and they have to consider interests of everybody. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
10 of 17

There is nothing wrong with a $5.00 minimum for fixed-price contracts.

Some projects take only a few minutes to do.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS