Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Upwork Plus for Clients

Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
41 of 102

Rene K wrote:

Watch this space for Upwork Premium for freelancers announcement. My bet is on something like 4 connects with basic and 30 connects with Premium. $49.90/month only. Coming soon, don't miss out.

How's the weather today?

I'd pay that in heartbeat second if that was the only charge and they took fees off individual jobs (LinkedIn Profinder operates this way with a bit higher monthly cost), but there is no way I will pay that PLUS 20% fees per job.  But you are right... it's probably coming. Maybe they are trying to eliminate the entire platform? I can't see how they are trying to grow it when paying clients have to pay to use it - it's not going to produce good results at the basic level. For most clients, it wouldn't make sense to pay a monthly fee for this. And with the best freelancers jacking up their rates to absorb the service fee, clients will have to pay too much to make it worth their while to use this site. 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
42 of 102

Maybe I'm missing something but how does it benefit Upwork to make it harder for clients to find Top Rated freelancers? If the client Plus fee was nominal, in line with freelancer Plus membership, this might generate additional revenue, I suppose, but at roughly $50, I don't think there will be a stampede to upgrade client accounts.

ETA, Lena was kind enough to clarify this elsewhere. The Top Rated & Rising Talent filters are new features that were added for the benefit of Plus clients. So that could hardly be responsible for widely reported declining profile views.

43 of 102

John, thanks for posting this hidden tidbit of vital info:

(Lena was kind enough to clarify this elsewhere) The Top Rated & Rising Talent filters are new features that were added for the benefit of Plus clients. So that could hardly be responsible for widely reported declining profile views.

And I fully concur with the rest of your post.

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
44 of 102

If I remember correctly,  Upwork  fee was 2.75% - and now it's 3%?

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
45 of 102

Echoing Sanja's question. Also, how does this work -- they can become an Upwork+ client without verifying their payment method?

upwork plus.png

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
46 of 102

Hi Isabelle,

Please pm me the job post link you're looking so I could check and follow up with an update.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
47 of 102

Echoing John's comment "...how does it benefit Upwork to make it harder for clients to find Top Rated freelancers? If the client Plus fee was nominal, in line with freelancer Plus membership, this might generate additional revenue, I suppose, but at roughly $50, I don't think there will be a stampede to upgrade client accounts."

Vlad, as long as you are keeping on eye on this thread as per your response to Isabelle, perhaps you could weigh in ....

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
48 of 102

Wendy and John,

We don't make Top Rated freelancers harder to find. Clients on both Upwork Basic and Upwork Plus plans will be able to see Top Rated freelancers in search as before. Clients on Upwork Basic plan will have the same 90% JSS and above filter they had before. We also expect that Top Rated and Rising Talent freelancers will benefit from more Featured Jobs that give them reduced fee as well as from more targeted invites from clients on Upwork Plus who will be more selective about their invites.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
49 of 102

Valeria,  I'm PMing you a job post that is Upwork PLUS Client - with unverified payment.  Same as what Isabelle discovered ...

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
50 of 102

Valeria K wrote:

Wendy and John,

We also expect that Top Rated and Rising Talent freelancers will benefit from more Featured Jobs that give them reduced fee 

I really don't remember this being a thing ... so if freelancers get hired for Featured Jobs, they get a reduced fee? By how much? Sorry, could you please link me to the original post/article that says this? Because then I should be concentrating more on Featured Jobs!

(BTW, just found another Upwork+/Unverified client. PMing Vlad.)