cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Upwork Plus for Clients

Ace Contributor
Syed Ebad H Member Since: Jan 14, 2019
81 of 102
You are right. It depend on the client. That means I can apply.
Rasheen W Member Since: Jul 19, 2018
82 of 102
I’m hesitant to apply for unverified payment clients as it could be a throw away ad.
How are clients getting upwork plus badges without a verified payment method? Is it a trial?
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
83 of 102

Hi Rasheen, we've confirmed earlier on this thread that some new clients are indeed offered a free trial to Upwork Plus. This is one of the possible reasons why you might be seeing a Plus badge on a job posted by a client with an unverified payment method. Please check the comment I posted earlier and make sure to use the same approach as when reviewing a regular job post. 

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Isabelle, following up on the question you raised earlier.

As part of the new subscription plan, some new clients are offered a free trial, after which they will be charged the regular membership fee. While having the Plus badge displayed is beneficial for all users, freelancers should still follow the same best practice steps in reviewing new job posts. We recommend that freelancers check the client’s payment method status, since there are other instances in which a client would still have a Plus badge displayed while having an unverified payment method, for example in case their credit card expires.

Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
84 of 102

Yes and I saw a plus client that was unverified and had a virus file that I didn't open but download and scanned and it got deleted. Be careful everyone! I reported and it was deleted! I feel plus members should definitely be verified before they can have that status. 

Ace Contributor
Roslen M Member Since: Apr 29, 2016
85 of 102

I recieved an invite today for a job that was posted yesterday. The job has 42 invites. Does this mean that the client was "grandfathered" in to be able to invite as many people as they want?

Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
86 of 102

How is this possible? He is supposed to pay for his Upwork Plus membership somehow, right?

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
87 of 102

Hi Alexander,

Please, check the comment Vladimir posted earlier on this topic regarding this same concern.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
88 of 102

I haven't been using the forums much recently, so I hadn't seen this thread before. The only way I, as a client, found out about this new plan option that's apparently been available for 2 months now is because I got a community panel invite about it. I have not seen any communication directly from Upwork to me as a client at all. I haven't received any emails. I haven't had any pop-ups. I was completely oblivious this "Plus" plan existed.

Apart from the lack of communication to clients (inlcuding premium clients like me), I have some thoughts and questions (of course):

* This Plus plan is targeting clients who hire a lot of freelancers for "one and done" jobs. Clients like me, who hire infrequently but spend thousands of dollars a month on long-term ongoing contracts, have no need to spend $50 a month for hiring help. But when I *do* need to hire, I don't look like a "serious" client because I don't have the badge. And I can invite only 3 freelancers. So hiring becomes far more difficult.

* I'm confused about my existing "legacy" or grandfathered plan and the difference between it and the new Upwork Basic. I'd like an explanation of this point specifically: "Please note: If existing clients upgrade to Upwork Plus and then decide to downgrade, they won’t return back to their grandfathered offerings, instead they will be placed into the new Upwork Basic.". The plan upgrade page doesn't show me a comparison between my existing legacy plan and the Plus plan, it only shows a comparison between Plus and Business. What is the difference between Legacy and Basic?

* The processing fee has changed from 2.75% to 3%? This seems like a sneaky way to increase processing fees?

* I agree with Jenn M that I probably have no interest at all in any kind of "project management" tools Upwork offers. But I'm not clear what they are, because again, the plan comparison page doesn't tell me what I'm already getting.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
89 of 102

I'm bumping this thread, because Jennifer D (along with many clients) requires an answer. Jennifer D is a respected member of this community - and a voice of reason. I think her queries and worries should be addressed. I don't think her post should have been put at the bottom of a dumping ground. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
90 of 102

Hi Jennifer, 

I'm sorry if you didn't receive communications about these changes. Please know that other than this announcement post, we also used our other channels such as email, social media, and blog to announce this change. 

As noted on the announcement post: 
"E
xisting clients who have registered on Upwork before February 25th, 2019 and who have been active on the site in the last 15 months will be grandfathered into their current plan with no changes to their current offerings or payment processing fee."
This means that the you will continue to have the exact same experience on Upwork that you had prior to the new client's membership plan launch. The client processing fee will remain the same for you, as well as the ability to invite more than three freelancers to your job post.

If you decide to upgrade to a Plus Plan in the future, please know that should you wish to downgrade, you will not returtn to the grandfathered offerings I have noted above. Instead, you will be placed into the new Upwork Basic plan

For your reference, you may read up on this help article about the Upwork Plus plan for more information on the benefits of the plan, and further explanation of the Upwork project management tools. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS