Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Upwork Plus for Clients

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
91 of 100
Hi Jennifer,

Upwork Basic, Upwork Plus and Upwork Business are a new set of plans which are being promoted and marketed to new Upwork clients. The plan that you were grandfathered into is our legacy plan which we are no longer offering to new clients who sign up on Upwork. Only those who already qualified for the legacy plan will be able to continue using it as long as they don’t change plans.

You will find a chart that compares the new membership plans under Settings>Membership>Change plans. Additionally, you can find information on the Upwork homepage and pricing page. Since you’re part of the legacy plan and your offerings are not available to all clients, legacy options are not displayed in the membership charts.

At this time, our intention is to continue to refine our plan offerings before we market the Plus plan to existing clients. You will be notified as soon as we are ready to market the new plans to existing clients.
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
92 of 100

Hi Lena,

Lena E wrote:
Hi Jennifer,

Upwork Basic, Upwork Plus and Upwork Business are a new set of plans which are being promoted and marketed to new Upwork clients. The plan that you were grandfathered into is our legacy plan which we are no longer offering to new clients who sign up on Upwork. Only those who already qualified for the legacy plan will be able to continue using it as long as they don’t change plans.

You will find a chart that compares the new membership plans under Settings>Membership>Change plans. Additionally, you can find information on the Upwork homepage and pricing page. Since you’re part of the legacy plan and your offerings are not available to all clients, legacy options are not displayed in the membership charts.

The chart on the membership page does NOT compare the "Basic" plan with the others. It only has information about Plus and Business. The chart on the Upwork home page has very little information (less than the membership page) and is a "marketing purposes" chart only - it doesn't list all the features or restrictions. The chart on the Pricing page does give a bit more information, thank you for pointing that out. But that will lead me to some new questions below.

At this time, our intention is to continue to refine our plan offerings before we market the Plus plan to existing clients. You will be notified as soon as we are ready to market the new plans to existing clients.

Looking at the chart on the Pricing page https://www.upwork.com/i/pricing/ I now have some additional questions:

1) I currently am eligible for Upwork Premium Support. Will I lose this at some point with my "legacy" plan? 

2) I already have teams set up and team reporting. Am I going to lose access to that? 

3) In both cases, if I don't lose access to them with my legacy plan, will I lose access if I upgrade to Plus and then downgrade back to Basic?

I guess my point is that not all legacy clients are created equal. So putting us all in the same "legacy" bucket isn't really correct.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
93 of 100

Thanks for your questions, Jennifer. With your current plan, as a legacy client, you are eligible for Upwork Premium Support and have access to teams and reporting. If you upgrade to Plus Plan and then downgrade, you will lose your legacy plan and be switched to Basic, this would remove access to team reporting and creating new teams but you'll continue to have any teams you'd set up in the past.

Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
94 of 100

Okay thanks Lena, I think I understand now.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
95 of 100

Avery O wrote:

As noted on the announcement post: 
"E
xisting clients who have registered on Upwork before February 25th, 2019 and who have been active on the site in the last 15 months will be grandfathered into their current plan with no changes to their current offerings or payment processing fee."

Why, then, did I receive an email telling me that my current plan no longer existed and I had to opt for a new plan or would automatically be switched to basic?

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
96 of 100

Hi Tiffany,

Please see this update Lena posted recently for more information on these changes.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
97 of 100

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Tiffany,

Please see this update Lena posted recently for more information on these changes.

Thank you.

Translation: Because we changed our mind.

Ace Contributor
Stefan K Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
98 of 100

It would be fair to have one transparent summary on how much actually Upwork charges - a total or maximum cost of a particular job. An interctive calculator of complete job fees would also be great. For example here under the table it says very discretly that freelancers "only" pay 10% fee in Business plan, while clients pay 3% with the firts two plans. If a client has not alredy studied freelancers fees, this is so confusing. It does not say how much is already charged on freelancer side with Basic and Pro. So anyone who want to have a complete cost of the job, has to find the freelancers pricing table on the very bottom of the pricing page. Ironically clients have this No Surprise headline on their pricing page, while they will most likely miss the entire picture about the total cost of a job that is mostly on freelancers shoulders

1. Starting at 20% + (2% in some cases) - pretty high fee unproportionally affecting specific categories of jobs (for example design comparing to programming)

2. Now introducing fees on bids

There should be a one page that clearly states, what Upwork charges both on freelancer and clients side and under what circumstances. I remember Elance with less then 9% flat fee several years ago. That was transparent! This is politely biasing....

I am ready to offer you a free redesign, a comprehensive infographic or interactive fee calculator, so clients really have No Surprises but clear picture about the total cost of particular job.

Louise E Member Since: Jul 19, 2018
99 of 100

As a former freelancer I stopped using Upwork when you charged me 20% of the fee -Said I would leave and I did within 2 months.

As a client of former Odesk (which was great) and then Upwork (terrible to say the least), now that I have to pay to see the same reports, I am gone.

I have just informed my freelancers to find other platforms, this week will be the last billing cycle.

I will be gone, now, gone for good never to return.

I am willing to bet the platform goes bankrupt -that is what greed does to you.

Bye!

Dont say I didnt tell you so and I will not be back, not even if you reverse the situation -I got tired of it as a freelancers & you for sure will not be playing those games with me when I am spending the money making you money on your platform.

Adios

Bill Q Member Since: Aug 19, 2017
100 of 100

I'm a freelancer on Upwork and also a client.

I cannot believe Upwork is so short sighted as to make this mantatory for all clients.

Yesterday, one of my best clients told me they are leaving Upwork once my current project is complete.

As a client, I am not paying for reports. Upwork is forcing me to leave and find other options.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS