Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Upwork Plus for Clients

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
61 of 103

Lena,  with all due respect, "some new clients are offered a free trial to Upwork Plus, so their payment method would not automatically be on file" did not answer the question asked. 

Had we seen a mix of Upwork Plus clients with payment verification and/or work history and some without the question would never have arisen. Those lacking verification would have obviously been new to Upwork clients.

Lena, just as an FYI, it might seem many of our posts are repetitive because they are continually being ignored to the nth degree. We've all felt like we're talking to brick walls.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
62 of 103

Wendy C wrote:

Lena, just as an FYI, it might seem many of our posts are repetitive because they are continually being ignored to the nth degree. We've all felt like we're talking to brick walls.

Amplifying. If we don't get an answer, we ask again. Then we get accused of "trolling." How does this promote transparency?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
63 of 103

Nice. I got so many interview when people just mass send them. Sometime I they sent it again after I declined. Now they will more rare but also more meaningfull, just like an invitation should feel like.

Though, this is for new users only. We'll see change only a year or two.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
64 of 103

A week ago I changed my availability to "available" for around 5 days. Now I understand why I got only 1 invitation Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
65 of 103

@Aleksandr S
After you change your status from private, it takes 1-2 days until you are visible in the search.

Highlighted
Hassan N Member Since: Feb 8, 2015
66 of 103
The profile was not private ever. this is a bug or something else maybe
after the update or Introducing Upwork Plus for Clients the basic
member/client cannot find a top-rated freelancer. up work
filtered top-rated freelancer and only plus member could find top-rated
freelancers due to this since 2-week profile discovery is 0
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
67 of 103

Hi Hassan,

For the benefit of avoiding any confusion, I'd like to clarify that you're referring to the issue discussed on this thread. The issue discussed there is unrelated to the Plus plan roll-out and more importantly, as Valeria already confirmed on that thread, there are no issues with how freelancer profiles are shown to and viewed by clients. Only the way profile views are displayed on My Stats page is affected.

Since we're discussing a different topic on this thread, I'd like to ask you to share your feedback or comments related to the profile views issue on the other thread, so we can keep all the information in one place. Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
68 of 103

Can I please just make a suggestion? I know it's already been decided and put in place, but i'll throw it out there into the void, because I don't think whoever thought this up understands Upwork's client base very well. Your enterprise clients are not the norm. Small to midsize businesses are a lot of the work on Upwork. 

First, there is no way clients will pay $50/month for your tools or anything like that. Clients come here to find a freelancer and then get them to assimilate into their workflows. Typically, it's Trello and Slack for me. They have no trust or interest in Upwork tools due to instability and (for some clients) security of their data.

I could see mayyybe them paying $50 upfront to use the platform, but not per month. They'll pay the $50 to find a freelancer and cancel. That is going to be you're typical use case. So, here is just my suggestion: incentivize the $50 by giving them a credit on their project when they hire. This will give incentive in 2 ways:

1) Reduces disintermediation. If someone pays $50 upfront, taking a freelancer off platform (i.e. PayPal) means they're out $50 for their project. This might not be a big deal for very large projects, but it does give the one-off smaller project owners incentive to take the credit and keep it on platform. They could still take parts of the project off-platform, but you would see a trend of offers of $50 milestones and then nothing else from the client. You could see a pattern if that's what the client does (if you stick to the $50/month subscription). If you go with $50 to signup (one-time fee) and the client takes the rest of the project off-platform, they were going to do that anyway. Only now at least you have $50, which gives you proof that the freelancer was contacted on Upwork should the project go sour and one party complains to Upwork.

2) We all know clients post the same job on several platforms sometimes. It would give them incentive to hire on Upwork rather than the other 2 since they've already spent money on Upwork. You might even see them bring freelancers from other platforms over to Upwork and work here. 

Anyway, I don't think you understand how many jobs are done off-platform and money is just billed on Upwork. The only thing clients want from Upwork is a way to find someone they like and then just get billed when needed. The clients that have one-offs and small projects don't even have a need for tools. They just want to get something, pay and leave. 

eta: sorry, long post but thought of something else. In regards to disintermediation, I find the whole issue is in the hands of the freelancer. I get asked a lot to go off platform, and I just say no and bill on upwork. If the client has incentive to get the credit on Upwork, it might give dishonest freelancers pause when there is proof that they did indeed get contacted on upwork. I know a lot of freelancers are dumb as rocks, but the Top Rated ones that know what they are doing and trying to take things off platform might think twice when there is a long history of them doing $50 milestones for client after client indicating that they might be taking things off platform. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
76 of 103
Hey Tom,

Just a thought. Are all those 46 jobs in progress current? I'm just thinking out loudly, maybe the Upwork system thinks you're too busy working on other projects and isn't recommending you as a result?

Another possibility may be that clients themselves are thinking you're way too busy when they see you have 46 jobs in progress.

My advice is to reach out to clients with completed projects and ask them to terminate the contracts. This might even help you with more positive feedback.

Great job either way. Keep it up. You're doing great.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
76 of 103

Wassim T wrote:
Hey Tom,

Just a thought. Are all those 46 jobs in progress current? I'm just thinking out loudly, maybe the Upwork system thinks you're too busy working on other projects and isn't recommending you as a result?

Another possibility may be that clients themselves are thinking you're way too busy when they see you have 46 jobs in progress.

My advice is to reach out to clients with completed projects and ask them to terminate the contracts. This might even help you with more positive feedback.

Great job either way. Keep it up. You're doing great.

I have about that many jobs "in progress" (old contracts never closed) and it hasn't affected me in terms of getting invites and such. Just my personal experience.... 

The stats (profile views) are currently broken... I think most people are showing few or zero views to their profile. It has been discussed in another thread. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS