Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Upwork

Highlighted
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 351

UPDATE: this thread has been closed from further replies.

As you might have noticed, today we took a major step in the future of our work together by relaunching oDesk as Upwork. I invite you to read our blog post here for more information around this change and for glimpse of what’s coming next.

Today, you’ll see familiar oDesk functionality and your existing profile, but with a new mobile-friendly and simplified design. A new Upwork Messenger app is now also available for download on Android and iPhone. Upwork is a new name, and a new platform for connecting businesses with talented professionals, faster and more easily than ever before and we couldn’t be happier to have you be a part of it.

Take a look around Upwork, learn more on our blog post and let us know what you think. As usual, we’ll be here on the Community to answer as many of your questions as we can.

Thanks!

Community Leader
Pravin K Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
2 of 351

Garnor,

Change is Good. But I feel we should have been informed beforehand to suit ourselves to experience a totally different interface. I am not complaining. Just saying.

One thing I am very glad about, that's Android App.Smiley Very Happy

Update: The Mobile App is pretty cool and smooth.

Thank you

Pravin

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 351

Thanks Pravin and glad to see you like the mobile app. We think it's pretty cool too!

Regarding advanced notice, we did share with the community in February that big changes were ahead for oDesk, but we were unable to share exact details. We understand this is a significant change for our community and we will be announcing it via in-product notifications and emails going out shortly.

Smita D Member Since: May 8, 2015
4 of 351

The main reason of poor budget project at odesk/upwork lies on it's policy. When client post any project at odesk/upwork then it ask for any specific budget and client provide the lower one. If it would ask budget like elance as less than $500, $500-$100, $1000-$5000 or More than $5000 then price of odesk jobs would increase. I strongly recommend upwork to follow project price system like elance as i mentioned above. Thanks    

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 351

Hi Smita,

Thank you for your suggestion, I will forward it to our Team.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
6 of 351

I agree Pravin that a little advanced notice would have been nice. I have a few links to change; well, more than a few! (forwarding will not correct for them).

I read the February posts Garnor mentioned, and I asked in the Community if a new site was in planning to which I did not receive any meaningful reply. Actually, the lack of replies told me my guess was correct. Oh well, no worries....

Let's hope this all works out for the best....

Armil B Member Since: May 11, 2015
7 of 351

Hi Garnor,

Innovation is good but the users must have been informed atleast a day or two before you launched the new platform. It is good to hear that you are working very hard to connecting businesses with talented professionals, faster.

Here are my observations on the new Upwork platform:

1. Font and Colors

- The colors are not pleasing to the eyes

- The color of the notifications are dull and it is not noticeable (I think it is orange or yellow).

- The font is too small. I think a big font size and a much more nice color is needed.

2. The mobile-friendly and simplified design

- I tried entering Upwork on my smartphone and I observe that I can only see messages and jobs on my page. I cannot transfer available balance to my Paypal account. 

3. The new name

- I think the name Odesk is much more appealing and has a good sound to it.

4. Paypal

- I transferred some of my balance to my Paypal account and that usually takes 2 minutes on the Odesk platform, but in the new platform it took Upwork 8 minutes to transfer my funds to my Paypal account.

Suggestions:

1. I really think that you should adopt the price system from Elance. I think the freelancers deserve atleast $10 minimum per project. 

2. Use Red colors for notification, use big font size and use white background instead of gray.

3. Send a notification to your users and give a detailed explanation on the next upgrade or feature that you will add.

Please continue to monitor user reactions and I hope my suggestions are helpful.

Regards,

Armil

Olinda V Member Since: Jun 11, 2015
8 of 351

I agree a lot with what this user has to say.  Also, this new site is cumbersome and difficult to work with.  I don't care for it and, for me, many changes will have to be made in order for me to return.  My thought is that you should have kept the Odesk design; it worked and was very easy to use and appealing to the eye!

Good luck!

O

Neelam B Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
9 of 351

HEllo Garnor,

Well change is good but colour scheme is not pleasant i don't like it.I think odesk is now completely clone of Elance some how.Star colour green every thing is green just change it please.Thank You

Kind Regards

Neelam

Marijana P Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
10 of 351

@Neelam B wrote:

HEllo Garnor,

Well change is good but colour scheme is not pleasant i don't like it.I think odesk is now completely clone of Elance some how.Star colour green every thing is green just change it please.Thank You

Kind Regards

Neelam

Came here to tell the exact thing, except that I don't like the change, either. Could you please, please, please do something with this colour scheme, cause this lime green really hurts the eyes, could you AT LEAST make it a dark green, if not returning it to dark blue, or some other dark colour? Thank you. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS