🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Introducing Upwork
Page options

Introducing Upwork

garnorm
Community Member

As you might have noticed, today we took a major step in the future of our work together by relaunching oDesk as Upwork.

Today, you’ll see familiar oDesk functionality and your existing profile, but with a new mobile-friendly and simplified design. A new Upwork Messenger app is now also available for download on Android and iPhone. Upwork is a new name, and a new platform for connecting businesses with talented professionals, faster and more easily than ever before and we couldn’t be happier to have you be a part of it.

Take a look around Upwork, and let us know what you think. As usual, we’ll be here on the Community to answer as many of your questions as we can.

Thanks!

350 Comments
shemmass
Community Member

Change is really good. We know that all you guys is taking the chances to be the best of all best. But it's just a shocked moment when suddenly changed to Upwork because oDesk has used to inform us before the change. But it's good anyway. You know the best.

But as what almost oDeskers commenting is the Font Color. We know that a change is for good. But we hope as majority of us define the color scheme as painful to the eyes, you will hear our pain. Candidly, the font color will make our eyes shedding its tears.

With all due respect.

Thank you.

rcraighead
Community Member

There are things I like about the new branding/features, but the green isn't one of them. I am constently straining to read the headers. Yes, I'm 60. That might have something to do with it.

sivavranagaro
Community Member

@Suzanne N wrote:

I am not trying to be snotty here, but I can't see how so many of you complaining that it is hurting your eyes cause you have to look at it for hours are really complaining about.

For one you shouldn't be on the platform for hours if you are working, so I am not sure how a bit of time every day is causing eye strain. Just my two cents worth. And if you are spending hours on Upwork a day, (besides looking for a job) and you are already working, you still have to much time on your hands.

Sitting at a computer for hours can cause eye strain. I know I have problems from it and use eye drops, but it is not from the color of a site. Truth is when we look at a computer for hours we don't blink as often as we would if we were not working on a computer, so if you are having eye strain problems maybe it is time to see your Eye Doctor.

I understand the site is not everyone favorite colors, There have been several options posted for those who don't like the font and even the color throughout the forum. There are tons of ways to change what a site looks like with addons, plugins etc. 

I think of more people spent more time working or looking for that job and less time complaining things would be much more productive for everyone.

Mods if you want to delete this I understand. I just had to get that off my chest.

One single hour is enough for this font to hurt my eyes. I have to search, and read, and reply, ... which totals to one hour, or more. What if I decide to analyse my concurrency (which I do occasionally) or read forum topics? That might take another hour.  

I do visit my eye doctor. Because I'm short sighted. I wear lenses. Many short sighted persons today wear lenses. Yes, we don't blink much. I guess we even blink less than other people. Green letters, and bad font type don't help.

Maybe I don't have patience to spend another few hours to find a perfect addon to customize this site. This is what web designer should have thought of. Especially because it's not just me who will have to spend time for alternative solution. That means, lets say 10.000 people instead of applying for jobs will have to set up custom interface and while doing that they'll spend at least one hour. That's 10.000 hours waste.  

The only thing which helps me is zooming option in Chrome. Now, while I'm writing this, it's on 150 %.

suznee
Community Member

First thank you I see you have the messaging in the forum at least fixed. Now if the messages in my account gets fixed that would be great. Also please please fix the squishy pictures. Maybe take the ovals off the pictures and fix the pictures. Everyone's pictures are distorted.

stuart001
Community Member

The main reason of poor budget project at odesk/upwork lies on it's policy. When client post any project at odesk/upwork then it ask for any specific budget and client provide the lower one. If it would ask budget like elance as less than $500, $500-$100, $1000-$5000 or More than $5000 then price of odesk jobs would increase. I strongly recommend upwork to follow project price system like elance as i mentioned above. Thanks    

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Thank you for your post, Suzanne. The Community's feedback has been helping us a lot in identifying what needs to be changed or fixed so we have been going through those items and making sure everything's addressed.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Smita,

Thank you for your suggestion, I will forward it to our Team.

francine10
Community Member

I'm new the the community, but I've been on oDesk/Upwork for a while. I'm pleased to have found this so that I can put my two cents in.

I was invited to the profile meeting. When I responded using a link in the email I received inviting me and inviting my written comments, the email was returned as a bad address. It couldn't have been operator error; I just hit the link.

I suggest Upwork has a place for clients to state whether they want US or UK conventions applied to the files they wish to submit for editing/proofreading. That would help contractors know if they're suited for the job. I don't want to waste connects on something for which I'm not suited.

I prefer the messaging that we used to have and still have when accessed going through Contracts (choose the contract)> View Messages and then I get to the thread that has the old-fashioned messaging - which in my opinion is far superior to the new.

The banner Desktop alerts are not enabled on this browser. Click here to enable desktop alerts - pops up all the time. I hit it and nothing happens. Then it won't go away.

I also prefer the way the iPhone app works to the way the Android app works. I don't get notifications on the icon in the Android app. When I respond to an invitation on the Upwork website, the invitation stays open on the phone app as if I hadn't responded to it. I hope this does not negatively impact my response time. I had an iPhone and switched to a Samsung. Consequently, I have experience with both apps.

On the website, the message alert dot and the notifications alert dot do not show up when they should and do not go away right after I've read the message or notification.

All that said, I like the new website. It's cleaner and loads MUCH faster. I like the green. I'm sure you'll get the rest handled.

Forgive me if I've placed some of these comments where they don't belong. Feel free to school me.Smiley Wink
natacharodriguez
Community Member

The new color is way too bright http://screencast.com/t/uA0k6c4yGo8g

a_pasquariello
Community Member

Hi,

i only make a quick tour on website, but I think the font make the site very unreadble...

Antonio P.