🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Introducing Upwork
Page options

Introducing Upwork

garnorm
Community Member

As you might have noticed, today we took a major step in the future of our work together by relaunching oDesk as Upwork.

Today, you’ll see familiar oDesk functionality and your existing profile, but with a new mobile-friendly and simplified design. A new Upwork Messenger app is now also available for download on Android and iPhone. Upwork is a new name, and a new platform for connecting businesses with talented professionals, faster and more easily than ever before and we couldn’t be happier to have you be a part of it.

Take a look around Upwork, and let us know what you think. As usual, we’ll be here on the Community to answer as many of your questions as we can.

Thanks!

350 Comments
rahatkazi
Community Member

Hey, i have opned an Odesk account Recently , perhaps 5 days ago and i have Fully completed my account thus it shows 100%  but i can not apply for the jobs . It shows batton of Apply for the JOb is Hidden . So what i do right now ?  Please give a Solution regardig that problem. 

I have added at picture  of the problem. please check the image.

Warm regards,

Kazi Rahat Al Islam 

business Devoloper 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Kazi,

Unfortunately, your profile overview does not have enough information about yout skills and experience and that's why your ability to apply for jobs is currently limited. Please, expand your overview and make sure you capitalize your name. Once you are done, please resubmit your profile for another review.

Thank you for your cooperation.

x-reid
Community Member

I write "academic papers and research" as well as other types of writing, but because your tag includes the word "research" the only jobs that come up on my job feed are for "internet research and data entry." This makes Upwork totally useless to me. Mama didn't send me to college to be a clerk--not even a freelance clerk.

prestonhunter
Community Member
Elizabeth, there are actually a lot of jobs posted on Upwork that need your type of expertise. The specific way you're going about trying to find those jobs is working well for you, but there are a number of other ways to look for jobs in Upwork.

Have you tried clicking on search, and then submitting the search with NO criteria, and then searching through the results pages one at a time, which will show all Upwork job listings. There are a LOT of jobs posted, and if you do this, you can find and apply to fresh new jobs and attract clients' attention.

There are other ways as well, but this is a hidden gem of a technique that not everybody knows about. When I have done it I have seen jobs that would fit your skills and interests.
hei-user
Community Member

We have been using Odesk for a number of years with no problems.  Now our clients has nothing but problems with tracking their time.  This is counter-productive and wasteful.  Please do what is necessary to rectify the time tracking issue's with your software.

noddy2013
Community Member

Hello,

FIrstly I wish Upwork well with its new branding. WIth that said, I would like to share:

1. My first response to your rebranding. This a a copy of the post I mrked to the CEO via a support ticket.

2. My concerns about merging the Elance accounts of contractors with their current Upwork accounts.

==

Hello Stephane,

This is response to re-branding your company to UpWork. Please look at this as constructive feedback and not an outburst. I greatly value the services your company offers to me personally. My feedback below is in points and is constructive.

1. My personal opinion about your new name Upwork is not positive al all. This name doesn't resonate well with me. Odesk was a very apt name, for the business you are in and had finesse. As far as I am concerned, you have come many notches down in this regard.

2. The color scheme change on your web site does not necessarily look better. You spoke about new features to enhance productivity. The thing that struck me most within an hour of using the "improved" web site interface, was that the most used feature had stopped working. (The system of a flag that indicated a new message without refreshing the browser}

3. Changing a UI adds to the workload of already overworked contractors and clients. New features can be added with minimal change to the UI. Your old interface was already smart and did not warrant a change. If you improve your product, repackaging is not necessary. Your customers have the IQ to appreciate new features without fan fare. Please do not disrespect the intelligence of your customers. Consider the other UI overloads, Operating Systems, Software upgrades. I would respect corporations who respect their user's time. In the business of business, one must not loose sight of who is serving who.

4. Random thoughts:.

Core issues that need attention to improve the QOS:

- Improve the efficiency of your web solution to handle the load, For multimedia contractors and clients viewing portfolios and file transfers are slow. This affects productivity adversely.

- Adhere to transparency about technical problems.

- Make payments to contractors prompt. Take away the holding period for payments from client who are verified and have a fair amount of payments processed by Odesk over a reasonable length pf time.

- Do away with the marketing hype please and concentrate on doing things that really make a difference. Keep it simple.

- We are all here to play a game, so let's play fair and straight. If you read between the lines of the latest findings of Quantum Mechanics and follow the trail with your own research, you will probably arrive at a similar conclusion. As CEO, it would be a good exercise to figure out the direction the human psyche will head over the next two decades. All what we have learned so far is changing. Old paradigms no longer apply. And if this knowledge is applied to business, the sky is the limit. Probably beyond...

- My business strategy has always been, " ALL Must Win".

Thank you for your time.

Best wishes,

Anil Nath

==

==

I hold an account on Upwork and well as Elance. I understand the Elance account will be required to be merged with Upwork.

Elance releases payment for old client immediately and Upwork sandboxes all payment anywhere from 4 -7 day. The merger of the accounts will take away from contractors, the benefit of receiving immediate payment offered on one of your platforms.

Upwork needs to review its contractor payment sandboxing policy with regard to ethics and good business practice.

Another point of concern is the doubling of load on your web site infrastructure. Upwork through the years has faced un-scheduled outages and slow downs pretty frequently.  As a contractor for imaging services, it is critical that large file uploads and display of images posted on the portfolio work efficiently. This has not been the case.

I request Upwork to concentrate on improving core services to clients and contractors as againt indulging in marketing gimmicks like repackaging products frequently to create an illusion of changes that matters.
==

Good luck!

Regards,

Anil Nath

ovillarreal
Community Member

I agree a lot with what this user has to say.  Also, this new site is cumbersome and difficult to work with.  I don't care for it and, for me, many changes will have to be made in order for me to return.  My thought is that you should have kept the Odesk design; it worked and was very easy to use and appealing to the eye!

Good luck!

O

carolynsorrell
Community Member

The changes were not necessary. The site had a good name, it worked well...the reason to change things is because they aren't working properly. You transformed a beautiful site that worked great and already had a perfectly good name into one that barely functions. My clients report emails not getting through and instructions being lost. I personally have been trying to work since about 3 am Monday and many of the pages refuse to load and just give me an error message. So far I have not been able to do anything on Upwork today. A new client is trying to hire me to write his press release right now - His PR is time sensitive. He's been trying all day to hire me but the site isn't working. If it keeps up, people will leave Upwork and start looking for sites that function correctly. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Carolyn,

I am sorry about the inconvenience caused by the issues loading the site. Our engineers are working to fix it as quickly as possible. You can refer to this thread which we will be updating once the problems are resolved.

I appreciate your patience.

numbsain
Community Member

Hello I just arrived and never knew odesk so upworks is what it is. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but nothing is working right. the site forgot my password. I typed it in correctly . But i had to reset it to what it was . Took a really long tome before it would give me an option to submit a new password request. Then it took an hour to send me the email to reset it. I'm watchingthe jobs go by the whole time. Then I filled out a whole application and sendt it and it said i was out of connects and asked me to buy moore. My jobfeed page clearly says i have 46 left. Of course it dumped all my work too. I message support and they never even resolved the issue. had to send a second ticket. Haven't heard a word yet. Is this how it is here? By the way i don't know who like faint grey and pale green type against white but it is a recipe for eyestrain. Really bad design choices there.