Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Job Success Score blue bar live for all freelancers with a score

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 17

Hi all,

A couple of months ago we started testing the display of a small image (blue bar) that appears under the Job Success Score in the Work History area of your profile.

JSS_Bar.PNG

Thanks to your input, we made a couple of revisions to this display since it was introduced. In our testing, we’ve found this visual treatment has led to increased engagement from clients. Specifically, clients are more likely to click on a freelancer’s profile if they have this display and they’re more likely to invite a freelancer who has this on the profile. Because of these results, we’re going to expand the view so that all freelancers with a Job Success Score above 50% will show the blue bar on their profile. You’ll see this display on your profile as early as today.

Thanks,

Garnor

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tarpinder S Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 17

Hi Garnor

It is good to have this blue bar.  I have a concern about finding the freelancers in search.  If I find myself in search(using my client account).  Picture attached.  Skills are not relevant to me.  I opened two support tickets and also posted in forum,  the only reply is it is being looked upon.  It is requested to look urgently in to the matter, because I may not be available in the serach if client types the required skills.

tapiskills.jpg

Thanks

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 17

Hi Tarpinder,

Please, refer to my reply to you question here.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Celeste M Member Since: Jan 23, 2015
4 of 17

And where is the accompanying explanation next to the blue bar that tells clients that the blue bar does NOT directly represent the percentage above it, but actually means something else?

You'll recall this discussion and the surrounding confusion when the blue bar was first rolled out:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Job-Success-Bar-is-Off/m-p/121194#M62796 

You were asked several times how clients would be made aware of what the bar represents, but you never responded. I'd still like to know. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 17

Hi Celeste,

We did review this suggestion and as of now we're not planning to add an explanation to the blue bar display. We'll keep an eye on this but from our testing and discussions with clients we haven't heard of confusion and/or misunderstanding of the display as it shows now.

Highlighted
6 of 17

Thanks for your response. Just to confirm:

You know and freely admit that the bar doesn't match the percentage, but as a company, you're fine with falsely representing it as such unless a client (and only a client) raises a concern about it? 

*headdesk*

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 17

No Celeste, there's no false representation here.

The purpose and outcome of the blue bar is actually a lot simpler than I think some are proposing here in this thread. We aren't expecting, nor do you usually see, users dissect the visual. Instead, it serves the purpose of drawing attention to some differentiation and driving more clicks/invites to freelancers who show higher scores. This is what you see on most other sites that have some visual display of ratings, etc.  With the blue bar, we're not trying to have a redundant repetition of the score.

That differentiation is further clarified by looking at the actual scores, which in this case appear directly above the blue bar.

Again, in our testing we did not see clients confused with the blue bar display.

Thanks.

Highlighted
8 of 17

Garnor, 

Thanks again for your response.

I'm still confused, so let me try this another way.

1. What data does the blue bar represent?

2. How is the answer to #1 made clear to anyone looking at a profile?

3. If the bar doesn't represent the Job Success Score, then why is it right beneath the Job Success Score?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that it's just a visual for the sake of having a visual, and it doesn't really matter what the number or data behind it is. (And I would really question a business who held that as their official position, so I hope that's not the case.)

If it's not intended to represent any data, then why is it even a bar? What not baby panda emojis? I don't get it.

Looking forward to further clarification. Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
9 of 17

@Garnor M wrote:

No Celeste, there's no false representation here.

The purpose and outcome of the blue bar is actually a lot simpler than I think some are proposing here in this thread. We aren't expecting, nor do you usually see, users dissect the visual.

I absolutely agree with Celeste, that's a really strange thing to say - that you actually don't seem to care if anyone understands the visual.

When I first saw it on my profile a while ago, I immediately asked what it stands for. And I wasn't the only one. Back then, it took Upwork a rather long time to come forward with any kind of information. Even though it's so simple. We eventually found out how it's calculated and what it stands for - but I am pretty sure the vast majority of clients has absolutely no clue. And why should they "dissect" it - it doesn't show on their profiles!

Instead, it serves the purpose of drawing attention to some differentiation and driving more clicks/invites to freelancers who show higher scores.

And this probably works, because the lower the JSS, the less favourable the first impression due to the blue bar:

Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 22.19.15.png

And I guess this is the only reason why Upwork implemented this. They were looking for a way to enhance the higher JS scores: and they did this by devaluing lower scores with some unexplained visual. 

This is what you see on most other sites that have some visual display of ratings, etc.  With the blue bar, we're not trying to have a redundant repetition of the score.

I have yet to come across these other sites that have some random visual without stating what it means.

And, since it's not just a repetition and it has its own formula attached to it (JSS - 50% x 2) - why not make that clear?

That differentiation is further clarified by looking at the actual scores, which in this case appear directly above the blue bar.

No, nothing is "clarified" as evidenced by the pics above. It's only confusing, especially because of where you put that bar; and because the higher the score, the less obvious the differentiation. 

Again, in our testing we did not see clients confused with the blue bar display.

Well, what DID they think it represents? When looking at pics such as above  - what was their feedback? "Hmmm, 84% - but actually it looks like a lot less... anyway, that's really helpful, thanks."

As Stephen pointed out, everybody understood the star rating, clients in particular - because, after all, they are the ones doling them out. I can't recall anybody being in favour of removing it. 

Highlighted
10 of 17

Garnor,

Just wondering when I can expect an answer to my questions from back on 11/25.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Job-Success-Score-blue-bar-live-for-all-freelancers-wi...

Thanks

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS