🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Job size will now be factored into your JSS
Page options

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

lenaellis
Community Member

UPDATE: The JSS Metric has been updated to reflect the changes that were announced below. As of today, March 1st, all Job Success Scores are now displaying the updated value.

We will soon update JSS metrics to reflect job value in the calculation. Today, a one-week $20 job typically carries the same weight as a one-week $1,000 job in JSS. Soon, JSS will be weighted by job earnings. For example, a one-week $1,000 job will be weighted more than a one-week $20 job. JSS will also exclude contracts with $0 earned and positive feedback. All other JSS policies will remain unchanged.

What does this mean?

We are making this change so a freelancer’s Job Success Score will display a more comprehensive representation of their freelancer workWe understand not all jobs are equal. We know higher budget contracts require more work and freelancers who complete these more complex contracts successfully should get credit for them. Just as longer-term contracts hold more weight in JSS calculations than shorter ones, we believe contract value should also hold significance in the calculation. By giving these jobs more weight, these jobs will have a greater influence on a JSS. 

Many freelancers will see an increase in their scores if they’ve successfully completed higher budget contracts in the past. At the same time, a small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS, see a drop in their scores, or lose their Top Rated badge. Today, we are emailing freelancers whose JSS will see a decline of 5% or more, to let them know they will be affected.  Freelancers that see a drop in their score can improve their JSS by completing more jobs with positive feedback, as it works today. Larger budget contracts with positive feedback will result in a higher increase in JSS, however, all great feedback contributes to JSS and whether you work on large or small contracts you can still reach 100% JSS.

This change will take effect in March, at which time all Job Success Scores will be updated retroactively. We know many of you will have questions about this update. We won’t be able to discuss your individual score or outcomes of specific contracts. We have listed some anticipated questions below, let us know if you have any additional questions.

FAQS:

Can I know what my new JSS is now before this launches?

We will not be able to provide you with your updated score until the JSS calculation refreshes at launch, in March.

Does this mean if I don’t get big contracts I’ll never be able to get a JSS of 100%?

Receiving stellar feedback on smaller budget jobs can still get you to a JSS of 100%. We are only changing the impact of jobs based on earnings. This means that strong client feedback on a higher-budget job could boost your score more than a lower-budget job. All other aspects of JSS will remain the same.

How will I know if it affects me?

The majority of freelancers will be affected positively by this change and will see an increase in their scores. We are sending out emails to those who will likely see a drop in their score once the new JSS calculation goes into effect in March. 

Can this affect me positively, will my JSS go up?

Yes! The vast majority of freelancers on the platform will see an increase or very little change in their scores. This is because you may have worked on one or more higher paying contracts in the past, and because you received great feedback that great feedback is being weighted more. 

Can I lose my JSS?

A small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS. This is because they had one or more jobs with no earnings. Positive feedback on contracts with no earnings will not be factored into JSS once we move to the new calculation. As a result, some freelancers won’t have enough outcomes to be eligible for a JSS until they successfully complete more jobs. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. 

How does weighting work specifically? 

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. Thanks for your understanding.

So if I take a bigger job and get negative feedback that counts more than positive feedback on smaller jobs?
Yes. A job with higher earnings will always impact your Job Success Score (JSS) more than a smaller job. For example, feedback on a $1,000 job carries more weight on your JSS compared to a $20 job. However, receiving poor feedback on a job with more earnings can be balanced out by doing well on a job of the same size in the future or on a number of smaller jobs. 

Can I lose my Top Rated badge?

Yes, a small percentage of freelancers who see a decline in their JSS may drop below 90% and lose their Top Rated badge. This is because they received less-than-positive public or private feedback on one or more of their higher-paying contracts. Feedback on contracts with higher earnings will affect JSS more after this new change.

925 Comments
kumar0071
Community Member
Hello,
Can you some one help me.i am so afraid because suddenly my profile job success score drop 90 to 78 .I will struggle to win the job.
Can you please some one help me.
Thanks,
Ajay
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Prachi and Ajay,

This help article gives a detailed overview of how JSS is calculated and what may cause changes in the score when it updates.

I also encourage you to check this announcement with information about the recent update to JSS calculation. Because we are now weighing jobs with higher earnings more, if you received less than stellar feedback on one of those jobs it may have impacted your Job Success Score more. 

kumar0071
Community Member
When I finish the job frequently before deadline and that time client say excellent work .but when client end the contract and give me less than 5 :glowing_star: rating.you are penalize me. How can I trust on client .He/she will provide 5 :glowing_star: rating after complete the job success fully. I am facing this type of problem recently.
michelle-trevino
Community Member

Great news for those of us who focus on long-term contracts! Thanks!!

bushaf
Community Member

My job success score droped to 89% while I have 4 projects with 5 stars and great reviews, and 1 long term project that I started working on 3 days ago. I dont understand why this happened, i completed all my projects with more then 100% customer satisfaction, 3/4 clients gave me bonus tips for my services. I have never gotten a bad review, nor have I not delivered work on time, there are 0 disputes, only satisfied clients and top service. Please help me understand this, and possibly fix it 

mtngigi
Community Member

Wendy C wrote:

A much needed ... and even more appreciated ... change.  And one that makes sense.

It might make more sense if only Upwork's advertising aligned with their supposed move to bigger jobs and clients. From an ad I see constantly - "no matter what your job, big or small, get it done with a freelancer". If U is striving to drive away smaller clients and jobs, and punishing people who take those jobs, it really should pull those ads.

Here's another suggestion, Upwork (one that will fall on deaf ears as it has before): if you're trying to improve your status in the online freelance market - how about increasing that $5 minimum, so that we stop looking like that other $5 site? $5 is a joke for all freelancers, no matter where they live.

elastella
Community Member

Now that the new JSS calculation is in place, I'd like to state that I understand my rating even less than before. And I've been around the block a few times, been here since before the JSS etc.

In the last 24 months, out of 26 projects I had 2 contracts closed by less than ecstatic clients (which means 4.25 stars and very likely bad private feedback). One was a mid-range job of approx. $1500, the other worth a few hundred $. I expected them to have an impact and so they did. But it didn't stop there.

I have had bigger jobs go well since, and not just one or two. Nevertheless, my JSS has steadily been declining with each update since October. Today I lost another percentage point. 

I couldn't care less about a "perfect" JSS, which is why I didn't use my perk to remove the feedback of either of the not-so-great outcomes from my JSS. But today I realised I actually do care about my ever falling JSS. Sadly, I'll never fully understand why this is happening.

kumar0071
Community Member
Hello Upwork
Why suddenly my profile Jo success score drop 90 to 78 .I am very afraid and disappointed. This is my source of income.
Can you please recalculate my profile.
Thanks,
Ajay
lysis10
Community Member

Well, now that JSS is dollar weighted, every one of your higher paid contracts has "meh" feedback.

maneesh-karna
Community Member

My JSS dropped from 100 -> 90 as of the most recent update.  I am assuming that this isn't due to poor private feedback because I haven't had a contract close anytime recently. 

I have two contracts for which I had a great relationship with the client, but the client chose to left the contract open to avoid the friction of closing and reopening.  Since then, the client hasn't logged into Upwork for a couple months. 

Now my JSS is down, but this isn't reflective of my job performance or relationship with the client (which you could reasonably deem "job success").  If anything, it's Upwork's fault for creating a high-friction experience for the client and also penalizing JSS for closing inactive contracts on the freelancer side.

This metric needs some serious iteration.