🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Job size will now be factored into your JSS
Page options

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

lenaellis
Community Member

UPDATE: The JSS Metric has been updated to reflect the changes that were announced below. As of today, March 1st, all Job Success Scores are now displaying the updated value.

We will soon update JSS metrics to reflect job value in the calculation. Today, a one-week $20 job typically carries the same weight as a one-week $1,000 job in JSS. Soon, JSS will be weighted by job earnings. For example, a one-week $1,000 job will be weighted more than a one-week $20 job. JSS will also exclude contracts with $0 earned and positive feedback. All other JSS policies will remain unchanged.

What does this mean?

We are making this change so a freelancer’s Job Success Score will display a more comprehensive representation of their freelancer workWe understand not all jobs are equal. We know higher budget contracts require more work and freelancers who complete these more complex contracts successfully should get credit for them. Just as longer-term contracts hold more weight in JSS calculations than shorter ones, we believe contract value should also hold significance in the calculation. By giving these jobs more weight, these jobs will have a greater influence on a JSS. 

Many freelancers will see an increase in their scores if they’ve successfully completed higher budget contracts in the past. At the same time, a small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS, see a drop in their scores, or lose their Top Rated badge. Today, we are emailing freelancers whose JSS will see a decline of 5% or more, to let them know they will be affected.  Freelancers that see a drop in their score can improve their JSS by completing more jobs with positive feedback, as it works today. Larger budget contracts with positive feedback will result in a higher increase in JSS, however, all great feedback contributes to JSS and whether you work on large or small contracts you can still reach 100% JSS.

This change will take effect in March, at which time all Job Success Scores will be updated retroactively. We know many of you will have questions about this update. We won’t be able to discuss your individual score or outcomes of specific contracts. We have listed some anticipated questions below, let us know if you have any additional questions.

FAQS:

Can I know what my new JSS is now before this launches?

We will not be able to provide you with your updated score until the JSS calculation refreshes at launch, in March.

Does this mean if I don’t get big contracts I’ll never be able to get a JSS of 100%?

Receiving stellar feedback on smaller budget jobs can still get you to a JSS of 100%. We are only changing the impact of jobs based on earnings. This means that strong client feedback on a higher-budget job could boost your score more than a lower-budget job. All other aspects of JSS will remain the same.

How will I know if it affects me?

The majority of freelancers will be affected positively by this change and will see an increase in their scores. We are sending out emails to those who will likely see a drop in their score once the new JSS calculation goes into effect in March. 

Can this affect me positively, will my JSS go up?

Yes! The vast majority of freelancers on the platform will see an increase or very little change in their scores. This is because you may have worked on one or more higher paying contracts in the past, and because you received great feedback that great feedback is being weighted more. 

Can I lose my JSS?

A small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS. This is because they had one or more jobs with no earnings. Positive feedback on contracts with no earnings will not be factored into JSS once we move to the new calculation. As a result, some freelancers won’t have enough outcomes to be eligible for a JSS until they successfully complete more jobs. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. 

How does weighting work specifically? 

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. Thanks for your understanding.

So if I take a bigger job and get negative feedback that counts more than positive feedback on smaller jobs?
Yes. A job with higher earnings will always impact your Job Success Score (JSS) more than a smaller job. For example, feedback on a $1,000 job carries more weight on your JSS compared to a $20 job. However, receiving poor feedback on a job with more earnings can be balanced out by doing well on a job of the same size in the future or on a number of smaller jobs. 

Can I lose my Top Rated badge?

Yes, a small percentage of freelancers who see a decline in their JSS may drop below 90% and lose their Top Rated badge. This is because they received less-than-positive public or private feedback on one or more of their higher-paying contracts. Feedback on contracts with higher earnings will affect JSS more after this new change.

925 Comments
artselena
Community Member

Antonia,

Please open my profile and you will see what kind of projects can be done for 5$ and that you still can earn a lot by completing them quickly and having a client for years happy and gaining normal profit (higher, than anyone would offer in my country). 

I don't think my client is bad if he/she pays me 5$ for the project I can complete in 10-15 min. Or should I consider so? And if the platform considers such "low paying" clients as something that should be excluded from the platform, why they would not set a lower project price limit for 30+$ per project and all clients will automatically become "good"?

Does it sound fair and correct?

arefinshuv0
Community Member

This is what i am talking about.

Upwork should think about this Updated JSS algorithm again.

marafx
Community Member

@Elena M. your profile is not pubblic.

you might want to check it since keeping it not public will stop you from being  found as freelancer.

Also, remember Upwork is not a charity platform they work for profit as we all do. If a client is  opening jobs for low pay it is not a valuable one in terms of roi.
Also remember  out of 100  low pay clients a huge % are "clients"  that were hiring to pump up jss of freelancers.
Not idly Upwork decided to add the weight criteria. 

marafx
Community Member

You say
"I don't think my client is bad if he/she pays me 5$ for the project I can complete in 10-15 min. "
Your client can hire you for anyamomout he wants- nobody stops him, but also Upwork is not  held to  give value to a job that  carries none or very little.

artselena
Community Member

My account is available for Upwork users. Here's the screen for you to have an idea and many of the protects were 5$.

Upwork is not a charity platform yes, but why I or somebody else should be responsible they not filter projects with prices under 5$? My clients don't post 5$ projects to pump up JSS, it is just a regular price for a small project. It is the same that saying you are a bad buyer and I'm a bad seller if I sell you milk for 2 dollars and you still buy it, I would wish to sell it to you for 100$ of course but would it be reasonable and would you pay me? 

marafx
Community Member
No Elena is not visible and I am an Upworker too
http://prntscr.com/snab7n
marafx
Community Member

Upwork  will not stop an employer from proposing  low budgets  but it won't give much weight to suchh tasks in terms of JSS.
it is up to the freelancer to choose  to work for  5 bucks or not.

Like in the real world businesses:  you won't grow with low paid tasks-  they occupy  time and at the end of the day you won't grow  but you'll work  a lot for almost a 10th of the value worth.

Also,  if you have the same client hiring you  time after time for small tasks, is best to have a  job only and have all  tasks organized as milestones.

About Upworkers that do freelancing as extra  to add to the regular jobthey have outside upwork - they are subject to this policy that incentivates  the work on the platform. if one just do some extras on upw well this is up to them.  But Upwork is mainly a freelancer platform dedicated to those that are freelancers and want to grow as freelanncers, that are interested in building a status and a reputation on the platform dedicating time and work.

artselena
Community Member

If the platform is "judging" a particular job is "carries none or very little" why they allow such low budget works to be posted? Do they allow and we are responsible cause we keep trying to keep our clients satisfied and deliver work?? I don't understand your logic.

artselena
Community Member

I'm happy you are working in the area where you can set high rates, but not areas are the same, does it mean we should divide people working in different field into "black and white"? Good and bad? if everyone would working the same area (IT and advertising) cause we all are hunting for profit only, would our world and community win out of it??? I doubt it. 

marafx
Community Member

I am sorry. I see that you are not satisfied with my explanation. Please refere to the Upwork help pages or try asking one of the moderators for more. 
As far as I see things I give a 5 STAR  feedback to Upwork for this measure  most of us was asking for  since years now and finally  available.
best of luck