🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Job size will now be factored into your JSS
Page options

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

lenaellis
Community Member

UPDATE: The JSS Metric has been updated to reflect the changes that were announced below. As of today, March 1st, all Job Success Scores are now displaying the updated value.

We will soon update JSS metrics to reflect job value in the calculation. Today, a one-week $20 job typically carries the same weight as a one-week $1,000 job in JSS. Soon, JSS will be weighted by job earnings. For example, a one-week $1,000 job will be weighted more than a one-week $20 job. JSS will also exclude contracts with $0 earned and positive feedback. All other JSS policies will remain unchanged.

What does this mean?

We are making this change so a freelancer’s Job Success Score will display a more comprehensive representation of their freelancer workWe understand not all jobs are equal. We know higher budget contracts require more work and freelancers who complete these more complex contracts successfully should get credit for them. Just as longer-term contracts hold more weight in JSS calculations than shorter ones, we believe contract value should also hold significance in the calculation. By giving these jobs more weight, these jobs will have a greater influence on a JSS. 

Many freelancers will see an increase in their scores if they’ve successfully completed higher budget contracts in the past. At the same time, a small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS, see a drop in their scores, or lose their Top Rated badge. Today, we are emailing freelancers whose JSS will see a decline of 5% or more, to let them know they will be affected.  Freelancers that see a drop in their score can improve their JSS by completing more jobs with positive feedback, as it works today. Larger budget contracts with positive feedback will result in a higher increase in JSS, however, all great feedback contributes to JSS and whether you work on large or small contracts you can still reach 100% JSS.

This change will take effect in March, at which time all Job Success Scores will be updated retroactively. We know many of you will have questions about this update. We won’t be able to discuss your individual score or outcomes of specific contracts. We have listed some anticipated questions below, let us know if you have any additional questions.

FAQS:

Can I know what my new JSS is now before this launches?

We will not be able to provide you with your updated score until the JSS calculation refreshes at launch, in March.

Does this mean if I don’t get big contracts I’ll never be able to get a JSS of 100%?

Receiving stellar feedback on smaller budget jobs can still get you to a JSS of 100%. We are only changing the impact of jobs based on earnings. This means that strong client feedback on a higher-budget job could boost your score more than a lower-budget job. All other aspects of JSS will remain the same.

How will I know if it affects me?

The majority of freelancers will be affected positively by this change and will see an increase in their scores. We are sending out emails to those who will likely see a drop in their score once the new JSS calculation goes into effect in March. 

Can this affect me positively, will my JSS go up?

Yes! The vast majority of freelancers on the platform will see an increase or very little change in their scores. This is because you may have worked on one or more higher paying contracts in the past, and because you received great feedback that great feedback is being weighted more. 

Can I lose my JSS?

A small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS. This is because they had one or more jobs with no earnings. Positive feedback on contracts with no earnings will not be factored into JSS once we move to the new calculation. As a result, some freelancers won’t have enough outcomes to be eligible for a JSS until they successfully complete more jobs. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. 

How does weighting work specifically? 

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. Thanks for your understanding.

So if I take a bigger job and get negative feedback that counts more than positive feedback on smaller jobs?
Yes. A job with higher earnings will always impact your Job Success Score (JSS) more than a smaller job. For example, feedback on a $1,000 job carries more weight on your JSS compared to a $20 job. However, receiving poor feedback on a job with more earnings can be balanced out by doing well on a job of the same size in the future or on a number of smaller jobs. 

Can I lose my Top Rated badge?

Yes, a small percentage of freelancers who see a decline in their JSS may drop below 90% and lose their Top Rated badge. This is because they received less-than-positive public or private feedback on one or more of their higher-paying contracts. Feedback on contracts with higher earnings will affect JSS more after this new change.

925 Comments
susanwinlowmedia
Community Member

Hello,

I'm wondering how a Rising Talent score can be converted into a low JSS? Mine came in two weeks ago at 91%. This week it dropped to 90% and the only thing that changed was the addition of POSITIVE feedback. I don't understand why it would have gone down? 

I have 3 jobs in progress. One was just never closed, another is paused and the third I'm working on (regular contract). There is a fourth one, but after two weeks I'm still waiting for the needed information from the client to move forward with the project. (I've worked with him before with no issues). So, I do lack feedback, but I have no negative feedback.

How can I improve my JSS? Will this score affect my chances of additional jobs? I'm hoping clients will look past the percentage and see positive feedback or open jobs, which is all I have. Is this possible? 

Second, how do I delete a post on these forums? 

Third, can I ask a former client to close a job? Will closing the job myself affect my score, at all, even an iota. I do not want to lose even one percentage point and go below 90%. Since I have no idea how or why it dropped to begin with, I fear touching anything.

Thank you!

JoanneP

Hi Susan,

Having the client close the contract is ideal to ensure that you receive feedback, which is included in your JSS calculation. However, if the client is unresponsive to your request, you do have the option to close the contract. 

This help article gives a detailed overview of how JSS is calculated and what may cause changes in the score when it updates. I also encourage you to check this announcement with information about the recent update to JSS calculation. Because we are now weighing jobs with higher earnings if you received less than stellar feedback on one of those jobs it may have impacted your Job Success Score more. Thank you!

susanwinlowmedia
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for responding. I almost didn't see it, and I tried to post again. I was alerted that I already been helped. Oops.

Anyhow, thank you for referring me to the article. I appreciate it. I was alerted to this a couple of months ago, but at the time I was still a Rising Talent. I just recently switched to a JSS. None of the criteria for a low JSS seem to apply to me. I don't have low-paying jobs. I don't have negative feedback. I do have 3 open jobs (one paused, one that should be closed and one on-going) and one 5-star feedback. That's it. There is nothing negative about my stats at all, so I have no idea how to improve.

I'm also simply at a loss as to why it would have dropped in the last two weeks when all I've received is positive feedback from a good-paying job. I don't want it to happen again, but I'm at a loss as to how to prevent it when I'm not sure what triggered the low JSS to begin with. 

Is there someone we can turn to for individual help? Someone that can look at my stats and tell me what is going on? I have looked at and read every help guide in Upwork regarding this, and I can't put my finger on any one thing that is negatively impacting me, personally, except my low number of jobs, but then why would Upwork convert me to a JSS only to penalize me for a low number of jobs? That doesn't make sense.

Thank you so much for your response! 

AleksandarD
Community Manager

Hi Susan,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

susanwinlowmedia
Community Member

Thank you so much, Aleksandar! I look forward to understanding what is happening!!

cmwiseman77
Community Member

I am so frustrated! I am fairly new to Upwork as a freelancer and was getting jobs at a decent pace. Then several contracts were not properly closed. One was just rewritten--the client was new to Upwork too and instead of changing the date for the existing contract, she wrote a new one. I got glowing words from her and a five on her feedback, but she could not figure out how to close the first contract. Eventually I closed it, but it seems to be a blight on my record! Then, I had two small contracts. Both were pleased with my work, but could not figure out how to close the contract, so I did it. Then they said they couldn't figure out how to leave feedback. I have been submitting proposals for jobs like crazy, but realize with a 76% rating, I am finished! Do I just close my account? So frustrated!

saifullah_imtiaz
Community Member

Hi 

I have been working on Upwork from last year my job success rate was 96 but now it's 92 because I have not got any new jobs I think due to COVID-19 situation do Upwork have any updated policy on this which could be helpful to me in saving me job success score and is someone else having this problem  ?

thanks 

leonardorepetto
Community Member

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place for this, please let me know if I should ask somewhere else.

I've been working for a client in a project for almost a month, the job was completed and fully paid as a last milestone but the client wasn't closing the contract. After I asked him he did it, yesterday he left me a 5 stars feedbak, but my JSS dropped from 100% to 94%.

I've been redaing here that even if the public feedback is of 5 stars, the private feedback might not, and this could be the reason behind a JSS drop.

In this particular case it doesn't make much sense since I've gone the extra mile for this client, accepting a lower budget than what I originally asked for, working far more than the original scope and making tons and tons of revisions until he was completely satisfied. It'd be very unfair if he left other than a flawless feedback. How can I know for sure that the reason for the drop in my JSS is because of a lower than 5 stars private feedback from this client? Is there any other way than asking him directly?

He talked about working together again and I'm not very fond of this idea, I don't want to turn him down if he wasn't responsable for the drop in my JSS.

nomanr400
Community Member

Hi,

My client' account is permanently suspended by the Upwork due to violation of Upwork's Terms and Conditions. Now, she can't proceed my payments and I don't submit the work because the contracts were on hold. I had two contracts with her " Presentation on Mentoring" and " Healthcare management", when her account suspended permanently by Upwork, so she ended my contracts and asked me for a refund.

Now, please tell me what will be the effect of this? Because the issue is between Upwork and Client, and if the dispute between Upwork and Client cause reduction in my JSS, so this is not a good thing.

Thanks

lysis10
Community Member

lol so she gets her account suspended and she wants to take it out on you? Nice.

Her feedback doesn't count so just tell her that her problem with her Upwork account has nothing to do with you and you need to be paid.