🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Job size will now be factored into your JSS
Page options

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

lenaellis
Community Member

UPDATE: The JSS Metric has been updated to reflect the changes that were announced below. As of today, March 1st, all Job Success Scores are now displaying the updated value.

We will soon update JSS metrics to reflect job value in the calculation. Today, a one-week $20 job typically carries the same weight as a one-week $1,000 job in JSS. Soon, JSS will be weighted by job earnings. For example, a one-week $1,000 job will be weighted more than a one-week $20 job. JSS will also exclude contracts with $0 earned and positive feedback. All other JSS policies will remain unchanged.

What does this mean?

We are making this change so a freelancer’s Job Success Score will display a more comprehensive representation of their freelancer workWe understand not all jobs are equal. We know higher budget contracts require more work and freelancers who complete these more complex contracts successfully should get credit for them. Just as longer-term contracts hold more weight in JSS calculations than shorter ones, we believe contract value should also hold significance in the calculation. By giving these jobs more weight, these jobs will have a greater influence on a JSS. 

Many freelancers will see an increase in their scores if they’ve successfully completed higher budget contracts in the past. At the same time, a small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS, see a drop in their scores, or lose their Top Rated badge. Today, we are emailing freelancers whose JSS will see a decline of 5% or more, to let them know they will be affected.  Freelancers that see a drop in their score can improve their JSS by completing more jobs with positive feedback, as it works today. Larger budget contracts with positive feedback will result in a higher increase in JSS, however, all great feedback contributes to JSS and whether you work on large or small contracts you can still reach 100% JSS.

This change will take effect in March, at which time all Job Success Scores will be updated retroactively. We know many of you will have questions about this update. We won’t be able to discuss your individual score or outcomes of specific contracts. We have listed some anticipated questions below, let us know if you have any additional questions.

FAQS:

Can I know what my new JSS is now before this launches?

We will not be able to provide you with your updated score until the JSS calculation refreshes at launch, in March.

Does this mean if I don’t get big contracts I’ll never be able to get a JSS of 100%?

Receiving stellar feedback on smaller budget jobs can still get you to a JSS of 100%. We are only changing the impact of jobs based on earnings. This means that strong client feedback on a higher-budget job could boost your score more than a lower-budget job. All other aspects of JSS will remain the same.

How will I know if it affects me?

The majority of freelancers will be affected positively by this change and will see an increase in their scores. We are sending out emails to those who will likely see a drop in their score once the new JSS calculation goes into effect in March. 

Can this affect me positively, will my JSS go up?

Yes! The vast majority of freelancers on the platform will see an increase or very little change in their scores. This is because you may have worked on one or more higher paying contracts in the past, and because you received great feedback that great feedback is being weighted more. 

Can I lose my JSS?

A small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS. This is because they had one or more jobs with no earnings. Positive feedback on contracts with no earnings will not be factored into JSS once we move to the new calculation. As a result, some freelancers won’t have enough outcomes to be eligible for a JSS until they successfully complete more jobs. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. 

How does weighting work specifically? 

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. Thanks for your understanding.

So if I take a bigger job and get negative feedback that counts more than positive feedback on smaller jobs?
Yes. A job with higher earnings will always impact your Job Success Score (JSS) more than a smaller job. For example, feedback on a $1,000 job carries more weight on your JSS compared to a $20 job. However, receiving poor feedback on a job with more earnings can be balanced out by doing well on a job of the same size in the future or on a number of smaller jobs. 

Can I lose my Top Rated badge?

Yes, a small percentage of freelancers who see a decline in their JSS may drop below 90% and lose their Top Rated badge. This is because they received less-than-positive public or private feedback on one or more of their higher-paying contracts. Feedback on contracts with higher earnings will affect JSS more after this new change.

925 Comments
kc_subodh
Community Member

If a client wants to cancel the project, Will it impact my job success rate? I have 100% right now. 

My client for web dev, out of nowhere says he doesn't want to proceed with the development. 

He, however, wants to pay for the time I spent ( not the point here)

My question is how will this impact my profile and job success rate?

How do I go about this type of client? 

Detail:

He wants a website. 
I made him design. 
His feedbacks were only on the contents. 
after 4 different versions, he still is focusing only on the contents, now when I said let's focus on the design, not on the content for now. 
He comes back and says let's cancel the project I don't like the layout. 

JoanneP

Hi Subodh,

Long-term relationships with clients are a plus and can help boost your score, but not having them won't count against you. Delivering great work does create a basis for having contracts count positively towards your JSS, either after completing them and receiving great feedback or while the contract is still ongoing in case of long-term contracts. This help article gives a detailed overview of how JSS is calculated and what may cause changes in the score when it updates. Because we are now weighing jobs with higher earnings if you received less than stellar feedback on one of those jobs, it may affect your Job Success Score more. 

kc_subodh
Community Member

The questions here is different 
 Will it affect my jss if clients want to end the project without me even completing the job I was hired for. 

Since the client doesn't want to work with me, I don't want to force and hold on to the project either. 
How do I handle this case? 

xdzain461
Community Member

No, It won't affect your JSS unless client leaves a bad private or public feedback.

f66bbce1
Community Member

When will I get my job success score?  If we complete jobs successfully but the client doesn't give feedback or reviews does that affect (decrease) JSS

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad Furqan I wrote:

When will I get my job success score? 

you need 4 to 6+ completed contracts from at least 3 different clients

Muhammad Furqan I wrote:

If we complete jobs successfully but the client doesn't give feedback or reviews does that affect (decrease) JSS

Not unless you have a huge percentage of such contracts

gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

I have done some handful of projects, 13-14 only, and last time my JSS got hit since the client ended the contract without communication and asked for a refund Since I am new to the platform, I took no risk going for dispute and refunded all amount.

Now, another client, who did not mention earlier in the contract either in the chat message, that she works on weekends only, she communicates this to me after one week of starting the contract, I try to give her the designs and keep re-submitting files ( 3 times till now), But I can't see her online, neither I heard a word from her till now.

Now again, if this client does not come back to the Upwork, that means my JSS is going to hit anyway!

How can I solve it? please explain, because when something happens like this, the sincere people will be forced to leave the platform and find another way, the focus of delivery of quality work shifts to FEAR of having dent on JSS for no real reason.

FEAR-1: If I refund the whole amount, by ending the contract myself, the contract will become zero pay/earn, my JSS will hit.

FEAR 2: Since I have submitted the files, and I know after 15 days money will be into my account,  but the point is not money here, she may have a chance to defame my reputation with a negative score. I don't think, she will not react to this and leave no stone unturned to dent my JSS, as her money will be deducted but according to her work is still in the process.

My intend is to solve it, but how, I have no idea!

Kindly Guide.

a_lipsey
Community Member

gurjeet k wrote:

I have done some handful of projects, 13-14 only, and last time my JSS got hit since the client ended the contract without communication and asked for a refund Since I am new to the platform, I took no risk going for dispute and refunded all amount.

Now, another client, who did not mention earlier in the contract either in the chat message, that she works on weekends only, she communicates this to me after one week of starting the contract, I try to give her the designs and keep re-submitting files ( 3 times till now), But I can't see her online, neither I heard a word from her till now.

Now again, if this client does not come back to the Upwork, that means my JSS is going to hit anyway!

How can I solve it? please explain, because when something happens like this, the sincere people will be forced to leave the platform and find another way, the focus of delivery of quality work shifts to FEAR of having dent on JSS for no real reason.

FEAR-1: If I refund the whole amount, by ending the contract myself, the contract will become zero pay/earn, my JSS will hit.

FEAR 2: Since I have submitted the files, and I know after 15 days money will be into my account,  but the point is not money here, she may have a chance to defame my reputation with a negative score. I don't think, she will not react to this and leave no stone unturned to dent my JSS, as her money will be deducted but according to her work is still in the process.

My intend is to solve it, but how, I have no idea!

Kindly Guide.

Submit the work for payment and wait the 15 days. It sounds like you'll take a hit either way. May as well get paid. 

Also, if you submit the work for payment, she still has 2 weekends to request revisions, which will restart the clock. So as long as she is okay knowing that it takes longer because of her schedule, she may not give you a bad rating. If you communicate to her that you've submitted it for her review and payment, and you're happy to make revisions after she's reviewed during her normal work time, then she may appreciate you accommodating her limited work schedule. 

I have a freelancer working for me now who promises 48 hour turn around but I myself can't review and work that fast. Of course that won't affect my rating of her. I know I'm the slower person in this relationship. I appreciate her accommodating me to take the time I need to review. It might be a pain to take a little longer to complete the project, but if you can accommodate the client, it may go a long way to help your score and get paid. 

gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

Hello Jennifer, It always good to have advice from people like you.

as per your comment, what I understand is, once the milestone is done, payment deducted from her account, she cannot give me bad feedback out of frustration, and she does I can communicate to the community and her account will get suspended? and then her bad feedback won't hurt my JSS?

kindly correct me if I understood it wrong.

gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

the point here is when money gets deducted from her account, will she not give me bad feedback out of frustration?