🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Job size will now be factored into your JSS
Page options

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

lenaellis
Community Member

UPDATE: The JSS Metric has been updated to reflect the changes that were announced below. As of today, March 1st, all Job Success Scores are now displaying the updated value.

We will soon update JSS metrics to reflect job value in the calculation. Today, a one-week $20 job typically carries the same weight as a one-week $1,000 job in JSS. Soon, JSS will be weighted by job earnings. For example, a one-week $1,000 job will be weighted more than a one-week $20 job. JSS will also exclude contracts with $0 earned and positive feedback. All other JSS policies will remain unchanged.

What does this mean?

We are making this change so a freelancer’s Job Success Score will display a more comprehensive representation of their freelancer workWe understand not all jobs are equal. We know higher budget contracts require more work and freelancers who complete these more complex contracts successfully should get credit for them. Just as longer-term contracts hold more weight in JSS calculations than shorter ones, we believe contract value should also hold significance in the calculation. By giving these jobs more weight, these jobs will have a greater influence on a JSS. 

Many freelancers will see an increase in their scores if they’ve successfully completed higher budget contracts in the past. At the same time, a small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS, see a drop in their scores, or lose their Top Rated badge. Today, we are emailing freelancers whose JSS will see a decline of 5% or more, to let them know they will be affected.  Freelancers that see a drop in their score can improve their JSS by completing more jobs with positive feedback, as it works today. Larger budget contracts with positive feedback will result in a higher increase in JSS, however, all great feedback contributes to JSS and whether you work on large or small contracts you can still reach 100% JSS.

This change will take effect in March, at which time all Job Success Scores will be updated retroactively. We know many of you will have questions about this update. We won’t be able to discuss your individual score or outcomes of specific contracts. We have listed some anticipated questions below, let us know if you have any additional questions.

FAQS:

Can I know what my new JSS is now before this launches?

We will not be able to provide you with your updated score until the JSS calculation refreshes at launch, in March.

Does this mean if I don’t get big contracts I’ll never be able to get a JSS of 100%?

Receiving stellar feedback on smaller budget jobs can still get you to a JSS of 100%. We are only changing the impact of jobs based on earnings. This means that strong client feedback on a higher-budget job could boost your score more than a lower-budget job. All other aspects of JSS will remain the same.

How will I know if it affects me?

The majority of freelancers will be affected positively by this change and will see an increase in their scores. We are sending out emails to those who will likely see a drop in their score once the new JSS calculation goes into effect in March. 

Can this affect me positively, will my JSS go up?

Yes! The vast majority of freelancers on the platform will see an increase or very little change in their scores. This is because you may have worked on one or more higher paying contracts in the past, and because you received great feedback that great feedback is being weighted more. 

Can I lose my JSS?

A small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS. This is because they had one or more jobs with no earnings. Positive feedback on contracts with no earnings will not be factored into JSS once we move to the new calculation. As a result, some freelancers won’t have enough outcomes to be eligible for a JSS until they successfully complete more jobs. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. 

How does weighting work specifically? 

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. Thanks for your understanding.

So if I take a bigger job and get negative feedback that counts more than positive feedback on smaller jobs?
Yes. A job with higher earnings will always impact your Job Success Score (JSS) more than a smaller job. For example, feedback on a $1,000 job carries more weight on your JSS compared to a $20 job. However, receiving poor feedback on a job with more earnings can be balanced out by doing well on a job of the same size in the future or on a number of smaller jobs. 

Can I lose my Top Rated badge?

Yes, a small percentage of freelancers who see a decline in their JSS may drop below 90% and lose their Top Rated badge. This is because they received less-than-positive public or private feedback on one or more of their higher-paying contracts. Feedback on contracts with higher earnings will affect JSS more after this new change.

925 Comments
farahzaki_k
Community Member
Hello Courtney,

Yes, you have to ask them to give you feedback as jobs that end with no feedback cause harm to your JSS.

Farah
knock-samantha
Community Member

Hi Courtney!

I'm so sorry to hear you've had this experience; I've had it myself and it is horrible.

I had the same exact problem, and absolutely no solution. After my JSS went into the gutter, I posted asking for advice, and community gurus told me that yes, a lack of feedback will lower JSS, even if the only feedback you have is overwhelmingly positive. They also added that you should never ask a client for feedback. Confusing, right?

One guru/ace contributor told me they had made their way back from a JSS of 80%, which is a far cry from the 66% I was at because of one bad client not leaving feedback on multiple contracts. I submitted over 20 proposals after the JSS tank, buying more connects along the way, before I realized it was a fruitless effort, and that I might as well light my money on fire.

UpWork was a great platform for me for a couple of weeks until I got screwed by the JSS, which has now rendered it unusable. For freelance work, I would recommend joining Facebook groups in your niche, keeping your LinkedIn tight, and even reaching out to businesses that you can tell need your help. It's not as automated as UpWork, but at least you don't have to give a 20% cut to a platform that also charges you to apply to jobs.

If you want to continue on UpWork, with a JSS of 78% it might be possible for you to come back on here, so maybe don't give up hope? I'm pretty bitter about my experience, but your JSS isn't irreparable yet I don't think. But from the feedback I've seen on mine and other similar posts, you will probably have to buy a lot of connects, submit a lot of proposals, and take a lot of low-paying jobs to claw your way back up. If you are willing to put in that work, more power to you! Just make sure to never bug a client about feedback, and ALSO get feedback every time. LOL.

Sorry to be so negative but I wanted to be honest with you-- I had the luck to have one person be honest with me and a sea of people telling me to be positive, which wasted my time, energy, and money.

Whatever you end up doing, I wish you the best of luck!!

arslanali800
Community Member
Hi,

I cannot see any change in my JSS and update is supposed to be today. After previous JSS update I've successfully completed one contract, however, there is no slight change in my JSS. I expect atleast some increment. Can any one please guide me?

Looking forward.

Arslan
sydneyhalperin
Community Member

Hi All,

I am new to UpWork and have been working on several projects for about a month now. I've received good feedback from my clients. Of my 5 completed projects that are on record, only one was not 5 stars, it was at 4.8. Would this really equate to an 80% success score??

That seems off, and I feel like starting out with this score is going to look like a negative for obtaining work, compared to those in the 90s. I have several ongoing projects, all going well except for some lack of communication from a client but I have been working on the projects as much as possible with the response times I am getting. I've also had one project placed on hold because the client's card was not verified. I don't feel like it's my fault that this happened, but perhaps the delay/inactivity of the contract caused my score to come down?

I am curious how often the score is updated? I would like to bring it up into the 90s, I just don't see what brought it so far down...

robin_hyman
Community Member

Hi Sydney,

I understand your issue because I've been there. When I started here 2 years ago I was in a similar position with a JSS in the 80s and thought no one would hire me. But I kept moving forward and applying to jobs where a JSS of 90s wasn't a requirement. And I was hired. After a few successful jobs, my JSS increased. 

Don't dwell on the past and keep applying to jobs you can knock out of the park. Your JSS will improve. 

Good luck to you!

sydneyhalperin
Community Member

I'm guessing I got some negative private feedback for the one job I received a 4.8/5 star public review on. I offered to do a trial run because of the posted expectations (they looked doable), and the client underpaid by about half of the hours it took me to complete the project. I assumed this was just a hit for me, and took the low pay offer anyways (I know I should have had the client make the trial contract with the milestone before starting, this was my mistake as well, and will certainly not be repeated). The client had extremely high expectations and was not clear with those expectations in the listing. I did my best with the project. I think, learning from this, I will only apply for jobs that are very clear in their requirements and I am positive I can complete with good reviews.

kripanshukumar
Community Member

My job success score is 94% but when someone views my profile from another device it becomes 86%.

Can anyone please explain to me why is this happening? 

wescowley
Community Member

Did it just change today? If so, it's probably just due to delays in updating. Give it time to settle.

arslanali800
Community Member
Hi. Sorry its now updated and I think we have to wait until 6pm UTC for JSS to be fully updated.

Arslan
chandel_cnaina
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I want to know my Upwork rating is going down. Before JSS Updation My JSS Score is 95%. Can someone please tell me the reason. Because in between these 2 weeks I got 2 positive reviews and also get the 5 to 6 new projects then why upwork drop my rating to 90%. I am very worried so please give me your views on this. 

Thanks & Regards

Naina