Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Highlighted
Community Leader
Gurjeet S Member Since: May 18, 2020
771 of 877

I really don't know what happened today after posting all this here, but the client approved both the milestones, with no communication obviously.

But I am really grateful to be part of the Upwork community, especially Jennifer, Joanne, Amanda, and the entire community who is guiding me or any other.

Thanks

Gurjeet

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Subodh K Member Since: May 3, 2019
772 of 877

If a client wants to cancel the project, Will it impact my job success rate? I have 100% right now. 

My client for web dev, out of nowhere says he doesn't want to proceed with the development. 

He, however, wants to pay for the time I spent ( not the point here)

My question is how will this impact my profile and job success rate?

How do I go about this type of client? 

Detail:

He wants a website. 
I made him design. 
His feedbacks were only on the contents. 
after 4 different versions, he still is focusing only on the contents, now when I said let's focus on the design, not on the content for now. 
He comes back and says let's cancel the project I don't like the layout. 

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
773 of 877

Hi Subodh,

Long-term relationships with clients are a plus and can help boost your score, but not having them won't count against you. Delivering great work does create a basis for having contracts count positively towards your JSS, either after completing them and receiving great feedback or while the contract is still ongoing in case of long-term contracts. This help article gives a detailed overview of how JSS is calculated and what may cause changes in the score when it updates. Because we are now weighing jobs with higher earnings if you received less than stellar feedback on one of those jobs, it may affect your Job Success Score more. 

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Subodh K Member Since: May 3, 2019
774 of 877

The questions here is different 
 Will it affect my jss if clients want to end the project without me even completing the job I was hired for. 

Since the client doesn't want to work with me, I don't want to force and hold on to the project either. 
How do I handle this case? 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Zain M Member Since: Jan 10, 2020
775 of 877

No, It won't affect your JSS unless client leaves a bad private or public feedback.

Highlighted
Community Leader
776 of 877

the point here is when money gets deducted from her account, will she not give me bad feedback out of frustration?

Highlighted
Community Leader
777 of 877

I have done some handful of projects, 13-14 only, and last time my JSS got hit since the client ended the contract without communication and asked for a refund Since I am new to the platform, I took no risk going for dispute and refunded all amount.

Now, another client, who did not mention earlier in the contract either in the chat message, that she works on weekends only, she communicates this to me after one week of starting the contract, I try to give her the designs and keep re-submitting files ( 3 times till now), But I can't see her online, neither I heard a word from her till now.

Now again, if this client does not come back to the Upwork, that means my JSS is going to hit anyway!

How can I solve it? please explain, because when something happens like this, the sincere people will be forced to leave the platform and find another way, the focus of delivery of quality work shifts to FEAR of having dent on JSS for no real reason.

FEAR-1: If I refund the whole amount, by ending the contract myself, the contract will become zero pay/earn, my JSS will hit.

FEAR 2: Since I have submitted the files, and I know after 15 days money will be into my account,  but the point is not money here, she may have a chance to defame my reputation with a negative score. I don't think, she will not react to this and leave no stone unturned to dent my JSS, as her money will be deducted but according to her work is still in the process.

My intend is to solve it, but how, I have no idea!

Kindly Guide.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
778 of 877

gurjeet k wrote:

I have done some handful of projects, 13-14 only, and last time my JSS got hit since the client ended the contract without communication and asked for a refund Since I am new to the platform, I took no risk going for dispute and refunded all amount.

Now, another client, who did not mention earlier in the contract either in the chat message, that she works on weekends only, she communicates this to me after one week of starting the contract, I try to give her the designs and keep re-submitting files ( 3 times till now), But I can't see her online, neither I heard a word from her till now.

Now again, if this client does not come back to the Upwork, that means my JSS is going to hit anyway!

How can I solve it? please explain, because when something happens like this, the sincere people will be forced to leave the platform and find another way, the focus of delivery of quality work shifts to FEAR of having dent on JSS for no real reason.

FEAR-1: If I refund the whole amount, by ending the contract myself, the contract will become zero pay/earn, my JSS will hit.

FEAR 2: Since I have submitted the files, and I know after 15 days money will be into my account,  but the point is not money here, she may have a chance to defame my reputation with a negative score. I don't think, she will not react to this and leave no stone unturned to dent my JSS, as her money will be deducted but according to her work is still in the process.

My intend is to solve it, but how, I have no idea!

Kindly Guide.

Submit the work for payment and wait the 15 days. It sounds like you'll take a hit either way. May as well get paid. 

Also, if you submit the work for payment, she still has 2 weekends to request revisions, which will restart the clock. So as long as she is okay knowing that it takes longer because of her schedule, she may not give you a bad rating. If you communicate to her that you've submitted it for her review and payment, and you're happy to make revisions after she's reviewed during her normal work time, then she may appreciate you accommodating her limited work schedule. 

I have a freelancer working for me now who promises 48 hour turn around but I myself can't review and work that fast. Of course that won't affect my rating of her. I know I'm the slower person in this relationship. I appreciate her accommodating me to take the time I need to review. It might be a pain to take a little longer to complete the project, but if you can accommodate the client, it may go a long way to help your score and get paid. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
779 of 877

I have already submitted the files ( 3 times), last time it was on 11th June 2020.

And my question is, what if she never comes back to Upwork, as I believe she might be getting a notification or an email, but got no minute, to respond to me. What if her intentions are not working with Upwork further? won't it affect my JSS if she does not release payment? or if it gets auto to deduct from her account, won't she able to pen down bad feedback out of frustration?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
780 of 877

gurjeet k wrote:

I have already submitted the files ( 3 times), last time it was on 11th June 2020.

That was a mistake, because every time you submit, it resets the 14 day countdown. You need to stop hounding that client. You do the work, you submit, you leave it alone. Maybe one (1!) follow up message. No more.

gurjeet k wrote:

And my question is, what if she never comes back to Upwork, as I believe she might be getting a notification or an email, but got no minute, to respond to me. What if her intentions are not working with Upwork further? won't it affect my JSS if she does not release payment? 

Then she doesn't come back and you get paid 14 days after the last time you submitted.

gurjeet k wrote:

or if it gets auto to deduct from her account, won't she able to pen down bad feedback out of frustration?

Why in the world would she, if the work was good?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS