cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Highlighted
Benjamin K Member Since: Dec 4, 2018
91 of 880
Now you should redefine it and rename it too. "Job success" is misleading in the sense that it sounds like if anything less than 100%, you didn't successfully complete some jobs. "The percentage of this freelancer's jobs that resulted in a great client experience." is outlandishly over simplified and subjective, IMO.

Isn't the goal to have an actionable metric for clients to weigh? The algorithm is so complex it's kind of become irrelevant to clients.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
92 of 880

What do you mean JSS scores will be  updated retroactively? I was just knocked out of TR status because I dipped below 90%, and this change should increase my JSS. Does that mean I'll be returned to TR as if I never dipped? What exactly does updated retroactively mean and how does that work?  Or do you just mean you will incorporate all previous contracts at their newly weighted value? 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
93 of 880

Hi Amanda,

Your Job Success Score will be recalculated retroactively once this change takes place. So yes, previous contracts with higher earnings will have more weight in the score.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Tammi W Member Since: Feb 3, 2020
94 of 880

greedy Upwork....no more helping the small person motiovated to work.I guess that's the attitude it takes to become the next Silicon Valley.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Varun G Member Since: Dec 11, 2019
95 of 880

A welcome change. Thank you. This is a step towards the perfect JSS algo. One that doesn't screw you over if you have multiple open long-term contracts, or multiple closed contracts in a row (due to client inactivity), or multiple contracts with no feedback... Let's keep the change train rollin'!

Highlighted
Oleg Z Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
96 of 880

Why do not a step further, and measure JSS in some other units, not in percent? Now a freelancer with a few contracts, who earned $5000/year, has the same JSS as a freelancer, who earned over $100K/year. Although there's an obvious difference. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
97 of 880

Oleg Z wrote:

Why do not a step further, and measure JSS in some other units, not in percent? Now a freelancer with a few contracts, who earned $5000/year, has the same JSS as a freelancer, who earned over $100K/year. Although there's an obvious difference. Smiley Happy

JSS is not and never has been a percentage (of what: "success"? in what quantitative units is that measured?). It is a score (as its name suggests) on a 100-point scale, which does not make it a percentage; it is misleading to publish it with a percent sign. And while we're at it, this move may make clearer that what JSS really rates is not something so nebulous as success, but imputable profitability to Upwork (and proportionally to us). As such, is it really a good metric to offer to clients? (Rhetorical, and beyond the scope of this discussion.)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Varun G Member Since: Dec 11, 2019
98 of 880

Oleg Z wrote:

There is no obvious difference in job excellency and efficiency between someone who earns a lot and someone who earns less. The latter is simply better for clients on a budget. The JSS should factor in proportional earnings (ie. a freelancer who gets a 5-star review on a $90 job and a 1-star review on a $10 job should have the same JSS as someone who gets a 5-star review on a $90,000 job and a 1-star review on a $10,000 job). Making a judgement based on absolute earnings would be terrible as it would price out the vast majority of freelancers and would also make it much harder for clients on a budget to find freelancers who are good fits.

Highlighted
Mariana M Member Since: Feb 4, 2020
99 of 880

You guys really really need to figure this out. Elance had a great system, why can't we just go back to that one? This JSS thingy is complicated and every time you guys make a change like this it changes the entire dynamic of the platform, do you realize that? And the impact it has in our earnings?

I find these things irresponsible. The app is working great tho, so we have that. Good job on that one.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kalaani W Member Since: Jan 14, 2016
100 of 880

Do you have no plan to add weight on job category's or clients budgets .

For more clarification ; 

We all know freelancers used to works on some specific  job category . For example some do "Logo Designing " only and some do "App developing " and so on ... . Its clear logo design jobs are rather lower in paying compare to App development . So logo designer might not have higher paying job for years . Eventually they will not become top rated in the future . As result clients will not be able to find Top rated Logo designers , for a example . 

And also If client never want to pay higher , how can freelancer get higher jobs on specific category . 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS