Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Susan M Member Since: Feb 14, 2016
21 of 876

Lukas M wrote:

What about letting clients fix their private feedback? because private feedback isn't private if it drops your public JSS. 

This is situation is disappointing for many freelancers.

I agree. One time a client gave me a 5 star public rating but must have given me a low private feedback rating because it had dropped my JSS significantly (and I couldn't understand why the client would do that as they never indicated to me there were any problems with me or my work).

Another question that comes to mind is... what about when clients don't leave feedback at all? Not that a freelancer gets negative feedback, but rather, just doesn't get anything  --  I had a different client do that, too.

One more question: How does Upwork determine what a "higher paying" job is?

Thanks,

Highlighted
Jyrens christauvy N Member Since: Jul 1, 2019
22 of 876

That's one of the thing that doesn't make sense to me . i do believe engineers at upwork mean well and are pretty smart ... but this is not a sound decision , especially given that the private feedback doesn't need any verification before being counted on the JSS .  you can't dispute it . And also it enforces people to pretend , just be fake around you . Just when everyone complained that the internet/social media can make people say stupid things about you due to their own biais , hatred , that has nothing to do with your work , who you are  ; Upwork decided  to use that against freelancers .   i had 3 projects all 5 stars , no complain from a client , all my jobs submitted before time , no argument with a client , decided to reduce my price because of a client  budget .  just found out that i have a negative private  feedback - 25                    on freelancer.com what you do is what you get 

Highlighted
Jyrens christauvy N Member Since: Jul 1, 2019
23 of 876

And for me who started just not long ago , i felt really bad for 2 weeks , couldn't even bid for a project with the expectation of getting it . 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tom O Member Since: Apr 13, 2016
24 of 876
I agree with Lukas 100%. So many things wrong with the JSS and this is a step in the wrong direction.

A score without transparency is a useless score to the client. Private feedback that affects a public score is public.
Highlighted
Medha G Member Since: May 23, 2018
25 of 876

I agree with Lukas M. I have completed each and every job successfully and lots of time client praised my work privately in messenger and once the final design is submitted, the client never showed up for the feedback or job completion, but Upwork never helped in this situation?   Once the client left, it's impossible to get him/her back to Upwork. Lots of them just don't care about freelancers profile or JSS. We cannot beg to each client for feedback. 

I am extremely disappointed with the new JSS rule.  I am working with some clients since 3 years on daily basis, it's impossible for me to take one big project because i have to manage 4-5 clients daily, so i prefer the number of small projects than one big project. 

Highlighted
Chris S Member Since: Sep 2, 2015
26 of 876

I think I joined Elance around 2007 and then rolled over to Upwork when they acquired EL. I used to be active in the community with EL. I find it amazing that the complaints that appear here, are almost identical to those that appeared on EL 13 years ago. It tells me that this industry has not evolved one bit.

I think the lesson that needs to be learned is to use your disappointments to learn your market better. Yes, there are crappy clients. But they all tend to write the same way, have rediculous budget numbers, have payment records that are less than enthusiastic. Learn to avoid them. Don't waste your time. Learn from the good clients.

Learn how to write a proposal that actually addresses what the client wants. Don't waste their time. Effective, to the point short proposals that include published work, a competitive (but not low ball) price, and an invitation to chat about the project on Upwork is all the hook you need. 

I don't know why I added this but it might help one person.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
27 of 876

FIRST PAGE

Have a Corgi, friends!

Image result for corgi gifs

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
28 of 876

I used to believe that the JSS was dollar weighted and it hit me as a surprise when I learned it wasn't the case. I think it makes sense to have big jobs weighting more in the JSS than the smaller ones.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
29 of 876

A much needed ... and even more appreciated ... change.  And one that makes sense.

Highlighted
Vlad M Member Since: Jun 12, 2017
30 of 876

I am a veteran freelancer on upwork. I gave up finding good jobs here and started co find my prospects through other methods. Now I have a decent income.

What I find frustrating is that when I left upwork, my score was around 90%, now is near 50%. I don't care much, but please upwork,  stp hurting yourself. You are setting yourself on fire with these decisions.

You destroyed a good system like eLance, you are hurting freelancers with an unfair rating sistem and you are chasing your clients away with providing poor quality freelance pool.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS