cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Highlighted
Sara D Member Since: Aug 19, 2019
31 of 877

I agree- things that just make getting a good score more difficult does not make me want to continue finding work on Upwork. I personally don't like the rating system at all. Some clients are unreasonable and if you score less than 5/5 stars, you are penalized. It has put so much unnecessary stress on me. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Darren w Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
32 of 877
I just wish Upwork was a level playing field, but it's not. Client's can abuse it and freelancers, and walk away with no regard for a freelancer's lively hood.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
33 of 877

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose ... 

Highlighted
Sergey M Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
34 of 877

Yes, oDesk is destroyed at the root.
I have been working here since 2008.
The first three years were fruitful, a lot of good work.
The more you work, the higher the rating. I remember how customers found me and I had a queue, I fed my family and enjoyed life.
**edited for Community Guidelines** who worked for $ 2 / hr - more than 200 applications for 1 job.
These were difficult times. All good customers have left oDesk. And it turned into an upwork. no work, no customers.
My rating is in the ass. For your connections, I can’t find a job for 3 months already, I have to pay $ 10 to look for a job, but I can’t find a job, the feeling that 90% of the job is just fake.
For the last half a year I’ve been in the ass, with a huge amount of skills and experience.
As at that time, new freelancers were the first in the search.
I do not understand.
Gonna leave Upwork, or my family will starve to death.

Vlad ...
**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
35 of 877

Sergey M wrote:

Yes, oDesk is destroyed at the root.
I have been working here since 2008.
The first three years were fruitful, a lot of good work.
The more you work, the higher the rating. I remember how customers found me and I had a queue, I fed my family and enjoyed life.

I love hearing about the old days, when the land of Odesk flowed with milk and money. I wish I'd been there to see it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
36 of 877

Richard W wrote:

I love hearing about the old days, when the land of Odesk flowed with milk and money. I wish I'd been there to see it.

Before paid connects, you just opened the oDesk site and money flowed into your account. Now with paid connects, everything is so hard oh so hard.

Highlighted
Patricia L Member Since: Sep 8, 2019
37 of 877

I started on Elance in 2005, built a successful business based on the model at that time. Then things eroded terribly. Bottom-feeder providers who would work for practically nothing and bottom-feeder buyers who were terrible to work with and didn't want to pay a fair price. Odesk made things even worse. For a quality freelancer looking for quality clients, Odesk was the final arrow to the heart. Disappointed at the deterioration of the model, I left. 

I was surprised when I returned to Upwork in 2019. Pleasantly surprised. I'm seeing clients similar to those in my early Elance days, and I've been doing well. The JSS, though, is nonsense as it now is. A disrespectful and abusive client gave me low scores because that's the kind of person he is, in spite of my fulfilling the brief to a T, and now my JSS has fallen because of two small contracts. It will be interesting to see if this changes in March...but frankly, I think the score is as much nonsense as the testing that Upwork dropped. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mariette A Member Since: Jan 22, 2015
38 of 877

It was great (Odesk)!

However, lots of wild, wild west clients and could be quite stressful to pitch for work then (I joined 2015). These clients disappeared for a long while after Upwork  came about and have enjoyed some great clients and done some fab work. I have however found in the last 4 months or so the wild west seems to have returned with offers of $5-$300 fixed for large jobs that would otherwise cost $2-3,000 for the time needed on them to make them to the quality the client is usually asking for (I work in presentation design) and lots of job postings that go nowhere. I have noticed it costs more connects to pitch for jobs where payment is not verified which I think is a good thing.

Missing the large clients though and thinking it may have something to do with what is going on with the markets, everyone is quiet..

Highlighted
Joseph J Member Since: Sep 26, 2012
39 of 877

So, How much is a 'Good rate"?

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
40 of 877

Hi Joseph, 

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. I would like to confirm though that with this change a job with higher earnings will always impact your Job Success Score (JSS) more than a smaller job. For example, feedback on a $1,000 job carries more weight on your JSS compared to a $20 job. However, receiving poor feedback on a job with more earnings can be balanced out by doing well on a job of the same size in the future or on a number of smaller jobs. 

Joseph J wrote:

So, How much is a 'Good rate"?

-Avery
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS