cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Mariana M Member Since: Feb 4, 2020
41 of 48

You guys really really need to figure this out. Elance had a great system, why can't we just go back to that one? This JSS thingy is complicated and every time you guys make a change like this it changes the entire dynamic of the platform, do you realize that? And the impact it has in our earnings?

I find these things irresponsible. The app is working great tho, so we have that. Good job on that one.

Community Leader
Kalaani W Member Since: Jan 14, 2016
42 of 48

Do you have no plan to add weight on job category's or clients budgets .

For more clarification ; 

We all know freelancers used to works on some specific  job category . For example some do "Logo Designing " only and some do "App developing " and so on ... . Its clear logo design jobs are rather lower in paying compare to App development . So logo designer might not have higher paying job for years . Eventually they will not become top rated in the future . As result clients will not be able to find Top rated Logo designers , for a example . 

And also If client never want to pay higher , how can freelancer get higher jobs on specific category . 

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
43 of 48

Kalaani W wrote:

Do you have no plan to add weight on job category's or clients budgets .

For more clarification ; 

We all know freelancers used to works on some specific  job category . For example some do "Logo Designing " only and some do "App developing " and so on ... . Its clear logo design jobs are rather lower in paying compare to App development . So logo designer might not have higher paying job for years . Eventually they will not become top rated in the future . As result clients will not be able to find Top rated Logo designers , for a example . 

And also If client never want to pay higher , how can freelancer get higher jobs on specific category . 

As I understand it, lower paid designers won't be prevented from becoming top-rated, it's just that if you do a $5 logo and get 5 stars, then you do a $300 logo and get 4 stars, the latter will have a bigger impact on your JSS. I agree that this should be the case. A lot of freelancers are happy to exchange cheap work in return for good feedback (or they hire themselves, or get friends to create fake projects), and they shouldn't be allowed to game the system like this. 

The fact is that there are way too many "top rated" freelancers, to the extent that the badge has become completely meaningless. If a designer can command $2,000 for a logo but has a 92% rating, whereas another designer charges $5 for a logo and has a 100% rating, does that mean that the latter is "better" than the former? I very much doubt it, but that's the way that it looks to clients under the current system. 

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
44 of 48

I think this is a good idea. It will make it less risky to take on small jobs from clients who are new to Upwork and therefore an unknown quantity. True, big jobs will be more risky JSS-wise, but at least if a big job tanks your JSS you'll have the comfort of the big earnings!

It seems to me that this change will increase the power of the Top Rated feedback removal perk, since TRs will be able to remove those particular damaging results.

By the way, I doubt the weighting of jobs will be strictly proportional, ie a $1000 job having 100 times the weight of a $10 job. That would be too drastic. It will be interesting to see how the weights are scaled.

A question. What weight will no-earnings jobs be given?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
45 of 48

Richard W wrote:

By the way, I doubt the weighting of jobs will be strictly proportional, ie a $1000 job having 100 times the weight of a $10 job. That would be too drastic.

That was how the average star rating was (and still is, for clients) calculated, minus the $ 1000 ceiling. So one huge job going wrong could literally destroy your average, One huge job ending really well was an insurance against several poor outcomes on smaller jobs.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
46 of 48

I don't see how this would affect a freelancer with a steady flow of similar-size projects, but it will make it harder for established freelancers trying to raise their JSS by doing a large number of small projects where they hope to get client feedback that's much more positive then they have gotten on previous larger projects.

I do think Upwork should figure out how to allow (force?) clients to leave feedback periodically on long-term projects without having to go through the rigamarole of closing the project, leaving feedback and re-opening the project. But it appears the JSS algorithm already positively factors in the idea that if a client has had the same freelancer working for them for a long time, the freelancer must be doing a good job, so the close, rate, re-open process isn't necessary anyway.

Irfan A Member Since: Jun 12, 2016
47 of 48

The whole JSS calculation is worst part of UpWork.
Calculation is kept secret because it is buggy and **bleep**ty. We already pay you highest fees in market but you still want more and try to blackmail us with JSS calculation. We do not know but maybe you look into our messages and see mention of Skype and decrease the JSS? Maybe you consider membership in calculation. Why clients are not allowed to edit private feedback?

Why PRIVATE feedback is considered while calculating PUBLIC JSS?

I am really considering other platforms because of these blackmailing tricks by UpWork

Javed I Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
48 of 48

This is good initiative for those who have been working for longterm client.

I want to know about those jobs in process since years as some clients have started a job years ago and work is still in process and lot of earning as this type od job are need regular work on daily or weekly basis.

Thanks

Javed

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS