Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
41 of 877

Sergey M wrote:

For the last half a year I’ve been in the ass, with a huge amount of skills and experience.

Sergey, look "to" yourself. If what you used to do to apply to new jobs doesn't work, change your MO. If I were you, I would change my hourly rate to something around $35-40 after "Over 90 successful jobs". If you are an expert, charge expert prices. Apply only to countries that can pay that price unless you are invited. Apply to high budget fixed price jobs with their budget price. I got some very good jobs by doing the latter. Look what you have as good samples and search for jobs that are perfect fits to those samples and apply only to those jobs. Check what the latest trends are. You can search some keywords and see which ones are higher than others or you can see them from your job feed. Strengthen that side of your knowledge.

You are an old hand here so you probably don't need my advice in that but I'll give it anyway... When applying just write something like this: I did this job very similar to yours. Here's the link. I can do that for you too. (Or I plan to do this and that in addition to that sample site.) Get in touch to discuss further.

There's no reason for you to be doing bad here on Upwork.

Highlighted
Jonan G Member Since: Nov 9, 2016
42 of 877

Finally, someone being sensible, instead of everyone just moaning and complaining! 100% agree with you Baris, I make a comfortable living on Upwork.

Highlighted
Michael P Member Since: Sep 16, 2019
43 of 877

I plan to stop bidding. They hurt people.jss scores are a joke.

Highlighted
Dhrubajyoti C Member Since: Mar 1, 2020
44 of 877

Its a high time that some new freelancing platform should arise which will provide the Freelancers as well as the Employers a Win-Win situation. Eagerly waiting for it to happen for the benefit of both Freelancers, Agencies & Employers. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
45 of 877

Now that the new JSS calculation is in place, I'd like to state that I understand my rating even less than before. And I've been around the block a few times, been here since before the JSS etc.

In the last 24 months, out of 26 projects I had 2 contracts closed by less than ecstatic clients (which means 4.25 stars and very likely bad private feedback). One was a mid-range job of approx. $1500, the other worth a few hundred $. I expected them to have an impact and so they did. But it didn't stop there.

I have had bigger jobs go well since, and not just one or two. Nevertheless, my JSS has steadily been declining with each update since October. Today I lost another percentage point. 

I couldn't care less about a "perfect" JSS, which is why I didn't use my perk to remove the feedback of either of the not-so-great outcomes from my JSS. But today I realised I actually do care about my ever falling JSS. Sadly, I'll never fully understand why this is happening.

Highlighted
Laura C Member Since: Jul 12, 2018
46 of 877

Vlad M wrote:

I am a veteran freelancer on upwork. I gave up finding good jobs here and started co find my prospects through other methods. Now I have a decent income.

What I find frustrating is that when I left upwork, my score was around 90%, now is near 50%. I don't care much, but please upwork,  stp hurting yourself. You are setting yourself on fire with these decisions.

You destroyed a good system like eLance, you are hurting freelancers with an unfair rating sistem and you are chasing your clients away with providing poor quality freelance pool.

@Vlad M and any others that use other platforms / methods and liked them:

What other methods and / or platforms do you use? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
47 of 877

Wendy C wrote:

A much needed ... and even more appreciated ... change.  And one that makes sense.

It might make more sense if only Upwork's advertising aligned with their supposed move to bigger jobs and clients. From an ad I see constantly - "no matter what your job, big or small, get it done with a freelancer". If U is striving to drive away smaller clients and jobs, and punishing people who take those jobs, it really should pull those ads.

Here's another suggestion, Upwork (one that will fall on deaf ears as it has before): if you're trying to improve your status in the online freelance market - how about increasing that $5 minimum, so that we stop looking like that other $5 site? $5 is a joke for all freelancers, no matter where they live.

Highlighted
Graciela L Member Since: Mar 2, 2020
48 of 877

Bravo!

Highlighted
Johan S Member Since: Dec 8, 2019
49 of 877

This change absolutely makes sense. It will also help to reduce manipulation by clients who expect virtually free work but promising a five-star rating. 

Highlighted
Shannon K Member Since: Jul 13, 2018
50 of 877

Hi, Wendy.

I'm hoping you will expand on your comment. Why is it needed? What Business Objective does this solve? 

- Weed out clients posting small jobs because no one will bid on them?

- Clients complaining because they hire a top rated professional who is quickly under water on a large complex contract cause they've only done small piecework?

- ???

The high paying vs low paying is very subjective. What is high paying? Their example of $20 vs $1000 per week really is meaningless, except to their fee.

Say I do the $20 job in 20 minutes. They make $4, and my effective hourly rate is $48

Likewise, I spend 40 hours on the $1000 job. They make $200 and my effective hourly rate is only $20

This change is certainly not in us worker bees best interest. I welcome your insights, as I feel I'm missing some key piece of this.

Mini Rant: I think this is really crappy to make this retroactive. (Disclaminer: my score is not changing.)

Shannon

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS