Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Antonia B. V Member Since: Sep 12, 2017
601 of 667

I am 100% and yet got no new offer lately... not that I am a lot after new ones, I'm almost full slots but... just to  make it clear that your board  texting has nothing to do with  employers being pushed towards you or not.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
602 of 667

Wayne and Andrew,

Your activity in the Community has no effect on your Upwork account metrics, JSS or how your profile and proposals are displayed to clients in search on in proposal list. 

That said, I'd like to remind you of the Community Guidelines. We appreciate feedback shared on these boards but we expect members of the Community to remain professional and adhere to the Guidelines that we have in place. 

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jason B Member Since: Jan 3, 2020
603 of 667

We all need to take a deep breath and realize JSS is not everything on this platform!  Yes, clients use it as a tool, but it is one of many tools they have to determine if someone is hired.  A few months ago I took a hit from 100% to 92% thanks to a stealthy client leaving bad private feedback.  After that, the next week I applied to 5 jobs in one day.  I was hired on 2 of them.  Three days later I heard back from 2 more and was hired on one of them.  And yes, a week and a half later I was hired on the 5th.  So for me, it seems like a less than perfect JSS helped me tremendously!  With 100% JSS, I was having troubles getting a job out of 10 proposals.

Perhaps clients think of 100%'ers as "nah, that cant be real"?  I dont know.  Just sharig my experience.  While at first I was not happy with the 8% drop for a reason I'll never know of, today I am very happy it dropped.

With this new job size change, it went up to 95%.  Job acceptance rate is still very high, even on 50+ proposals.  I think I'm just getting good at applying to those jobs only which I know my profile and past experience is perfect for.

Just my 2 cents.  I know my profile and other aspects needs work, but it seems to be working for now.  Remember, breathe.  This score is not everything!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Filip K Member Since: May 22, 2017
604 of 667

Jason B wrote:

We all need to take a deep breath and realize JSS is not everything on this platform!  Yes, clients use it as a tool, but it is one of many tools they have to determine if someone is hired.  A few months ago I took a hit from 100% to 92% thanks to a stealthy client leaving bad private feedback.  After that, the next week I applied to 5 jobs in one day.  I was hired on 2 of them.  Three days later I heard back from 2 more and was hired on one of them.  And yes, a week and a half later I was hired on the 5th.  So for me, it seems like a less than perfect JSS helped me tremendously!  With 100% JSS, I was having troubles getting a job out of 10 proposals.

Perhaps clients think of 100%'ers as "nah, that cant be real"?  I dont know.  Just sharig my experience.  While at first I was not happy with the 8% drop for a reason I'll never know of, today I am very happy it dropped.

With this new job size change, it went up to 95%.  Job acceptance rate is still very high, even on 50+ proposals.  I think I'm just getting good at applying to those jobs only which I know my profile and past experience is perfect for.

Just my 2 cents.  I know my profile and other aspects needs work, but it seems to be working for now.  Remember, breathe.  This score is not everything!

Jason, you didn't won the clients because your score dropped, that is a flawed logic.

I think we sometimes tend to take something that happened as granted. While it's great you got five of five proposals (really nice %), I think it more has to do with your proposals, type of clients, a bit of luck added etc. 

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Highlighted
David H T Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
605 of 667

The JSS change makes about as much sense as the "mystic" way you assign how many connects a job is. You guys are making a killing on us having to purchase these now, and there is no rhyme or reason as to how many connects freelancers have to use to bid on a job. I hope Upwork doesnt implode soon due to greed. Remember we make you guys money, and that take take mentality is a negative thing as we all see it.

Highlighted
Andrew C Member Since: Mar 2, 2020
606 of 667

Actually, David, I asked Upwork about this very fact...

The person on the chat stated that the bid credits are assigned based on the popularity of the project - i.e. the more bids, the more this goes up. Yeah, that's right. That's how it's done. Kinda like Ebay, the other scourge of sanity on the Internet.

So, some people in third world countries are paying 6 credits to do "full branding" for $25.

I'd add more comments - but seeing as I haven't had a single new project since posting on this thread... I really don't think this is a fair or reasonable place to spend my money.

Highlighted
Mat V Member Since: May 7, 2018
607 of 667

I went back and begged a couple of recent clients to leave feedback. They did: 5-star. Another job closed today: 5-star. All of my feedback is comprised of 5-stars. Guess how much my 88% rating has changed as a result of my begging? Funny how they put me JUST UNDER that 90% mark for Top Rated (after having removed me from it), and yet getting three new 5-star rating didn't even increase me by 1%. It's easier to keep people at that sweet 88%, isn't it? Not so bad as to scare away clients, but not enough to give me my Top Rated perks back despite having never received less than exemplary 5-star marks.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Antonia B. V Member Since: Sep 12, 2017
608 of 667

Hi Mat
First thing, your profile is not public so I wonder how can an employer find you?
Second: every 5 stars or good review you get gets calculated by the algo but updates are not real time. They are every  xx days- I don't remember  well the time lapse  be it 2 weeks or monthly.

Highlighted
Akhawini P Member Since: Jun 11, 2015
609 of 667

According to Upwork "In an effort to better ensure your JSS reflects your Upwork job history, as of March 1 we are giving higher-paying jobs more weight than lesser-paying ones."  I believe my JSS should have been 90%+.

Within the last 12 months I have 3  huge task that pays more than $1,000 each with very good reviews and just about 2-4 client gave bad review (2-3 stars) including bad hidden feedback too with less than $50 paid by each client. Whereas more than 20+ client gave me good reviews. Though this are my findings and I believe base on these, my JSS should be 90%+ by now

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
610 of 667

Akhawini P wrote:

According to Upwork "In an effort to better ensure your JSS reflects your Upwork job history, as of March 1 we are giving higher-paying jobs more weight than lesser-paying ones."  I believe my JSS should have been 90%+.

Within the last 12 months I have 3  huge task that pays more than $1,000 each with very good reviews and just about 2-4 client gave bad review (2-3 stars) including bad hidden feedback too with less than $50 paid by each client. Whereas more than 20+ client gave me good reviews. Though this are my findings and I believe base on these, my JSS should be 90%+ by now

Bad scores are still gonna hit you. Mine is 98% due to 2-3 low-income contracts where I estimate they rated me 8-9 privately even though I have tons of others that are way over the $1000 mark with 10s.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS