cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Highlighted
Ivan M Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
61 of 682

So I ask you (Upwork) not to "improve" anything, and to bring it back oDesk algorithm. So you are not improving anything. You've already shown how you can improve something that's good. Upwork is just destroyed something which was good.
So, if something's good, don't touch it.
Especially after when you have shown that you (Upwork) can "improve" things.
So, restore the oDesk algorithm and do not "improve" anything. Please!

Highlighted
David A Member Since: Oct 17, 2016
62 of 682

This is a terrible, terrible idea.  UpWork arbitrarily changes their policies without feedback from the people who make their site possible - us, the freelancers.  I'd like to see these 'community managers' try to earn a living by freelancing.  It's a greuling, difficult business.  UpWork is making it increasingly more difficult for people who work for a living for themselves to get jobs.  When we have to compete with offshore freelancers who charge less, and submit dozens of applications for what jobs actually pay well, and (to top it off) when companies who post jobs never get back to you after job submission you begin to get a taste of how difficult it is to earn a living freelancing on UpWork.  

Hey UpWork - how about if you focus on getting clients to provide mandatory replies to job submissions?  Or helping freelancers to connect with better-paying clients?   Better yet, stop earning a salary at UpWork and try paying the bills as a freelancer for a few months and then see how you like it. 

You would not exist without us freelancers, so why not get OUR feedback without making arbitrary decisions that impact our ability to find meaningful work?  Some of us take on jobs that are smaller because it's a cutthroat world on UpWork, and you're removing out ability to actually GET better paying clients by changing your score calculations.

It's unethical and unfair.

Highlighted
Shyam Sundar S Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
63 of 682

Hi , I am agree 100% to you but our request is not hearing here. Anyway bad work give bad result. it will determine future 

Highlighted
Edoardo N Member Since: May 2, 2011
64 of 682

"Hey UpWork - how about if you focus on getting clients to provide mandatory replies to job submissions?"

1000% agree with that!!!

Highlighted
Rajiv P Member Since: Apr 22, 2019
65 of 682

Hi

May I know the budget or ticket size for small, medium and large projects

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
66 of 682

Thanks for your question, Rajiv and Matthias. To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. Thanks for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Swaraj M Member Since: Jul 18, 2016
67 of 682

That.... That doesn't yeah... That doesn't help.

Highlighted
Matthias F Member Since: Feb 3, 2020
68 of 682

Are we able to have a value or formula to assess what defines a big job? 

I use UpWork to supplement my income and only pick jobs in between 150-400 so is this something that's not considered a big job? 

I would like to know how severely the JSS is going to fluctuate.

Highlighted
Michael O Member Since: Jun 8, 2016
69 of 682

I don't understand. What client in their right mind would want to rely on some algorithm, which they don't even know how it is calculated, to determine their hiring decisions?

Why even have the JSS at all if that is the case? Why not just get rid of it altogether? It kind of seems worthless anyway. Clients should just read the individual reviews and feedback scores rather than letting Upwork say "Trust us this is the person you want to hire. We can't tell you why or how we got to that, but trust us."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
70 of 682

Michael,

The JSS is primarily a marketing tool to provide relief to clients who feel overwhelmed by the number of proposals they receive from freelancers for a new project and don't want to have to do all the work it would take to winnow those many proposals down to just one hire.

I accept that a freelancer with a JSS of 75 has probably not performed excellently on previous projects and a freelancer with a JSS of 95 has a higher likelihood of doing good work. However, as far as know, Upwork has never provided any proof that a person with a JSS of 89 is in any consistently predictable way likely to be inferior in their future performance to another freelancer with a JSS of 90. Setting 90 as a sort of minimum target JSS for "the best" freelancers is an arbitrary decision.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS