Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
81 of 877

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I can confirm the information Jennifer shared. Long-term relationships are a plus and can help boost Job Success score while not having them won't count against it. That will continue to be true.

You better make sure that long term relationships are weighing more heavily than dollar value in the JSS formula.

Freelancers who can keep a client coming back for more are the freelancers you really want to incentivise.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
82 of 877

Jennifer M wrote:

They do. Longterm contracts count positively towards your JSS. If you're getting paid regularly every week or month, it helps. You don't need to close/re-open a contract. Just leave it open and keep earning. I've found these contracts are better than just having 1 contract that turned out well.

Interesting.  I did not know this.  

But what happens if the long term contract is open and you're not getting paid?  I ask because I have a few of them; two of which I haven't heard from in over a year.  It's been said that an open contract does not hurt the JSS as long as something was paid.  Will this still be true?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
83 of 877

Anna T wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

They do. Longterm contracts count positively towards your JSS. If you're getting paid regularly every week or month, it helps. You don't need to close/re-open a contract. Just leave it open and keep earning. I've found these contracts are better than just having 1 contract that turned out well.

Interesting.  I did not know this.  

But what happens if the long term contract is open and you're not getting paid?  I ask because I have a few of them; two of which I haven't heard from in over a year.  It's been said that an open contract does not hurt the JSS as long as something was paid.  Will this still be true?

Well, I don't know the secret JSS calculations Smiley Happy But I will say that they don't hurt or harm if they go dormant. I eventually close them if they go dormant. I have only one that is weekly, but last year I had the same client hiring me every month and then another client adding milestones every few weeks. Those contracts helped too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
84 of 877

Jennifer M wrote:

Andrew R wrote:

What Upwork should be doing is allowing clients with very long running and high-volume contracts the ability to provide reviews and feedback every month or every quarter (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4), instead of having to close a contract completely to leave a review. Upwork has vested interest financially in folks like me working with very long-term clients with the Upwork platform as the intermediary. Almost like an employee. They are now incentivizing contractors to engage in opening/closing/opening/closing contracts for the sake of upping the JSS, which puts awkwardness on client relationships. Why they haven’t addressed this issue years ago is beyond me… It should be a no-brainer.

While those jobs may be good for our overall JSS, I think they can look sketchy on my profile. Which is to say, a prospective client just sees "XX Jobs in progress," so he might just think that I am absurdly busy or that I never actually finish jobs, and that could scare them off. If those jobs had quarterly reviews attached to them, prospective clients would see that we just continue to lump new work onto the original contract, as that's easier for many clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
85 of 877

Kelly B wrote:

While those jobs may be good for our overall JSS, I think they can look sketchy on my profile. Which is to say, a prospective client just sees "XX Jobs in progress," so he might just think that I am absurdly busy or that I never actually finish jobs, and that could scare them off. If those jobs had quarterly reviews attached to them, prospective clients would see that we just continue to lump new work onto the original contract, as that's easier for many clients.

Maybe. I don't really feel like that's an issue though tbh. Being busy looks good.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Vijayvithal J Member Since: Oct 24, 2017
86 of 877
Interesting. Last week I had a client quiz me about the two open jobs open on my profile since 2018.
Till then I did not realize that these long term jobs were costing me new contacts...
Highlighted
Martin M Member Since: Jun 27, 2020
87 of 877

I had this row over chat with UpWork this evening, when I was seeking an explanation as to why my score dropped from 99% to 92% for no apparent reason.

I now have a few semi-retainer clients and thought that this would be a good thing, however I received this confusing and conflicting advice from UpWork....

"Having a long term contract is a positive indicator and can impact the score favorably even when opened. However, active contracts may also have a negative impact on your score if jobs started months ago mature to become long-term relationships or remain with no earnings and no feedback for multiple months."

Utter nonsense as they are saying that long term relationships can be positive or negative??!! Which is it? They then basically told me to track down the one client who has simply not closed the job. 

I don't want to have to chase and harass clients for feedback on every job... it's unprofessional and desparate. 

So angry tonight. I wouldn't mind losing % points if I've messed up, however you are penalised instead of being given the benefit of the doubt when a client probably doesn't view writing a glowing review as a top priority. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Andrew C Member Since: Mar 2, 2020
88 of 877

Re Martin's chat with Upwork...

Right, so it is **OUR FAULT** for starting up new contracts and trying to keep them on Upwork when they penalize us because the client doesn’t care how Upwork works, is forgetful and has no loyalty to anyone.

Upwork cannot see through their own crap - it’s pathetic.

Why doesn’t Upwork send messages to the client asking THEM to move on these contracts.

So what we have to do - and thanks Upwork for making more work for US - is to close off projects every month and Upwork needs to force clients to post feedback otherwise it is not closed on their end - and Upwork keeps sending annoying messages ot them every 24 hours until they do. See how the clients like it on the other side of Upwork's stupidity.

I opened a new contract with a regular onoing client on here starting Sep. 1 and she just opened a new contract yesterday for just one project - WHY THE HELL???

It’s NOT OUR JOB to make Upwork work. It’s up to Upwork to fix this insane process we have to go through to keep them lining their pockets. 20% for the favour of us making them insane amounts of money,.

What the world needs is a good freelance site FOR FREELANCERS. Because this one clearly IS NOT.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
89 of 877

This makes a lot of sense, and I see it as a good change. Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
90 of 877

Kudos to Andrew for "What Upwork should be doing is allowing clients with very long running and high-volume contracts the ability to provide reviews and feedback every quarter (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4), instead of having to close a contract completely to leave a review."

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS