Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Join our Early Access Program for Project Catalog

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
31 of 640

Wes C wrote:

Let me qualify my statement: In the context of Upwork's JSS and feedback system, there is no circumstance where a freelancer should accept a contract without discussion ahead of time with the client. If there's no consequence for walking away from a bad client or objectionable material, then maybe it makes sense.

I see your point, but I do it on Upwork, too. I wouldn't with the system they've set up here, since it doesn't allow sufficient definition of parameters. But, it's not unusual for me to get an offer in response to a proposal, submit the job and get paid with no discussion beyond the few words the contract acceptance process and submission process mandate.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
32 of 640

Tiffany S wrote:

I see your point, but I do it on Upwork, too. I wouldn't with the system they've set up here, since it doesn't allow sufficient definition of parameters. But, it's not unusual for me to get an offer in response to a proposal, submit the job and get paid with no discussion beyond the few words the contract acceptance process and submission process mandate.

In essence, you're having a form of discussion here: you have a chance to see the specific requirements and the material or topic you're being asked to work with, vet the client, ask clarifying questions in your proposal if needed, etc.—all before deciding whether or not to accept the contract.

The fact that you have the chance to do all that before accepting the contract, or walking away from it, is the key point.

One of the things I foresee happening here is people being locked into contracts with clients they would never work with if they'd had a chance to scan the clients' review histories upfront, or with material they find objectionable and would avoid had they the chance to review it first.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
33 of 640

Wes C wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

In essence, you're having a form of discussion here: you have a chance to see the specific requirements and the material or topic you're being asked to work with, vet the client, ask clarifying questions in your proposal if needed, etc.—all before deciding whether or not to accept the contract.

The fact that you have the chance to do all that before accepting the contract, or walking away from it, is the key point.

One of the things I foresee happening here is people being locked into contracts with clients they would never work with if they'd had a chance to scan the clients' review histories upfront, or with material they find objectionable and would avoid had they the chance to review it first.

I generally agree with this and I can't see why it has to trigger a contract rather than an offer that has to be accepted. Everything else aside, that prevents a contract from auto-starting when someone is swamped or out of town for a few days or whatever. 

But I think a lot of the concerns could be alleviated if the set-up were better and it were possible to fully scope out what's being offered. Of course, that wouldn't work for all types of work. But it would work for me for a couple of my most common offerings, if it weren't so poorly executed.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sein M Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
34 of 640

I agree.  I would not enter ANY contract without speaking to the potential client or without having assessed there requirements and material.  -- It boils down to this - If I wanted to work on a Fiverr platform model I would go there, or set up my own ecommerce page with package deals wher I AM FULLY in control of the order process.

I suppose I could always lay my self over a barrel as a way to drum up new business - that might work better.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
35 of 640

Also, I found it a bit unnerving to see an option to import Fiveer and PeoplePerHour projects n the beta test model.  --- Very very curious and infact put me over the edge on not finding valuable use for this idea.

Highlighted
Melissa P Member Since: Oct 9, 2020
36 of 640

I came on here to see if I was the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea...glad to see I'm not alone. I don't really get the point of this new program...as an editor/proofreader, my profile explains the services I offer to potential clients. If I show up in their search results and a client wants me to edit their project, great...they reach out to me and we discuss before beginning a contract, or deciding we're not the right match. 

Why would I post a project that a client could "buy"? I can't exactly say I will edit your book for $500, period. My pricing depends on content, level of editing, word count, deadline, etc. and there is no one-size-fits-all pricing. I would think this applies to most freelancers on this platform, regardless of your category. I suppose it would make sense if you posted a project with your hourly rate versus fixed price, but I still need to know specifics and talk with the client before agreeing to anything. (And like someone else said, 24 hours isn't necessarily enough time to cancel.) 

Also, there are many times a client will reach out to me or offer me a contract already, and I am either not available or not interested in their project. Currently, I'm able to turn them down with no penalty...there's no way I would want to have clients randomly creating contracts. I can see lots of disputes and lowered JSS in the future. Appreciate Upwork's attempt to try something new, but I don't think this is the right direction.

Highlighted
Solomon D Member Since: Aug 13, 2020
37 of 640
This is exactly how it is on fiverr. You will come to love it. Just relax for now.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
38 of 640

Easier said then done -- If I want to work like the Fiveer model I can go there, or set up my own page where I am in controll of the order

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Susan S Member Since: Aug 22, 2020
39 of 640

And, if a client buys a project and you happen to be busy, what then?  The contract is automatically generated and binding?  Or is there a way to put the projects on hold while you're busy and can't do another contract right then?

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
40 of 640

Hi Susan, 

I'm sorry we missed responding to your message. You’ll also be able to cancel a contract within 24 hours of the client submitting requirements to you without any penalty or impact on your Job Success Score. To learn more about Project Catalog, click here.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS