Re: Join our Early Access Program for Project Catalog

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
41 of 643

Wes C wrote:

Theresa C wrote:

Hi Wes,

When a client buys your project, the idea is that they are agreeing to what you've pre-defined in your project. So a contract will be created and the milestone will be funded.  You'll be notified whenever a purchase happens and a contract room will automatically be opened, at which point you can start messaging.

This is an absolute dealbreaker for me. And frankly, I'm surprised it isn't for everyone.

There is absolutely no way I would ever allow a contract to be automatically created for me without vetting the client, understanding their needs, and reviewing the material I'd be working on. The only way I'd consider using this is if it worked like the previous iteration where a chat is created with the client to discuss the project or even where an offer is created that can be further refined or declined. 

I understand Upwork is offering 24 hours to back out of a contract created this way. That is not sufficient time to make a decision when clients often don't respond in that period or when a contract comes in late on a Friday night (I don't have much experience with this concept, but I understand some people take the weekends off). But even if it was 48 hours, 72 hours, or a full week: the experience of taking a client's money, then having to refund it because the client isn't a fit, the material isn't something I'd work on, or it doesn't meet the requirements of the predefined project, is not a good customer experience. I also see that this 24-hour back-out period is a limited time deal. 

This is going to be a trainwreck of trashed JSSes and review histories.

I did go through the screens to create a project and found some limitations that would need to be tweaked before this would be useable even if we get past this one point, but I'll post those separately later.

Yes to everything you've said Wes!

I can't understand why there's been such a push for pre-packaged projects. I am not Amazon, and there's no way I can be expected to function in the same way. There's a simple concept that I would like to share with the people who come up with these features: We are freelancers, not vending machines.  

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sein M Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
42 of 643

"..We are freelancers, not vending machines."

EXACTLY

Highlighted
Chris M Member Since: Nov 12, 2018
43 of 643

I agree 100% with Wes. For a professional it is important to interview the client first and see if it is a good fit. Fiverr works with this model because the quality of projects is very low and people are spending $5-$50, but on a $5000 project that is going to take the next 3-4 weeks of my time, I need to speak with the client first and see if this will be the right project for me. I also need to be able to plan out my months and allow for time off. I can't just have jobs popping up out of nowhere ruining my weekend or vacation. I welcome people to message me first about the project, but I need the right to refuse to work with clients who are not the right fit or the timing is not right for me.

Please consider the different approaches some of us take to running our businesses.

Chris

Highlighted
Anna B Member Since: Sep 23, 2019
44 of 643

Yeah, the most concerning is when you're on holidays or just have a few days off, I sometimes go to the mountains with no reception. So the project would just be automatically accepted even if I am not available and not aware of it. 

Can we, at least, base this on our availability? If we will set up Not available from this day to this day, will we still get the projects popping up? 
Would really like to know the answer

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
45 of 643

Hi Chris and Anna,

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding the availability scenario you mentioned, since clients will be able to instantly buy your project and likely will expect you to meet the delivery time you have listed there, you may wish to turn off the project if you won’t be available to complete the work. Pro tip: In general, if your project is “on” you should be prepared to have a client purchase it at any time.

Anna B Member Since: Sep 23, 2019
46 of 643

Thank you, Vladimir.

So there will be a possibility to turn the project off? If yes, then it's a perfect solution.

Sorry, don't see how the approved options look like yet, as am waiting still for approval. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sein M Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
47 of 643

I totally agree.  Automatic contract generation without meeting with the client seems fairly risky. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
48 of 643

Theresa C wrote:

Hi Wes,

When a client buys your project, the idea is that they are agreeing to what you've pre-defined in your project. So a contract will be created and the milestone will be funded.  You'll be notified whenever a purchase happens and a contract room will automatically be opened, at which point you can start messaging.

Ok.. so I already signed up for this but this is a deal breaker for me too so I just canceled it. While a decent number of my jobs can be done at the prices I designated, some are WAY above scope and cannot be done at those prices so I absolutley need to review the scope first. All projects are different - there is no "one size fits all" solution that leaves me out of the process. There are actually even some jobs in my field that I can't do - like optimizing content for a different country or being asked to work within a rare industry that is simply not something I have done before. 

Also, I have a decent amount of clients who, after I request additional content, never submit it. When I first joined here I accepted contracts right away, not knowing this, and had a decent amount of contracts that Upwork had to come in and close because the client disappeared. I don't do this anymore - I wait until I have everything I need to do the job before I accept it. So ... I can't have a contract created right away because then I have to spend a ridiculous amout of time chasing clients down who rarely even respond.

Lastly, I said i can work on 4 projects at the same time - but I get projects from other places and through the regular way on Upwork so again, I have to be able to choose to accept the project.

Wow... I should have come here first. I would only be willing to do this if it was 100% separate from regular Upwork and nothing about it appeared on my profile page or in my JSS score. You guys made the JSS incredbily biased to clients so I can't risk it.

Highlighted
Upwork Staff
Theresa C Upwork Staff Member Since: Dec 6, 2015
49 of 643

Thanks for your input, Wes, Jessica, Melissa, Kelvin and others!

We understand that not all freelancers will use Project Catalog as a way to connect with clients. It was created as an additional offering, aiming to give you options for how you would like to connect and work with clients. You can, of course, continue to find clients as you always have on Upwork. The talent marketplace will continue being a great source for you to connect and work with clients, running alongside Project Catalog.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
50 of 643

I said the other day I'd follow up with other things that I think need to be tweaked in this product before it would be useful to my type of work. Here they are, just based on two passes through the screens:

1) First and foremost, again, it must not create a contract off the bat. It needs to go to an interview or at most an offer. Without that, nothing else matters.

2) There needs to be additional options for deliverables under the pricing tiers, preferably freelancer-defined. The ones listed for editing and proofreading are far from sufficient. The only two levels of editing listed are "Grammar and Syntax Review" and "Structural Edit". We're missing (at least) copyediting, line editing, developmental editing. It's would be best if these were able to be defined by the freelancer for clear specification and differentiation of services.

3) Under book editing, we can only choose one genre. I edit regularly in five of those listed (and it's far from a complete list), so I would use 5 of my 7 available projects right here. Allow unlimited choices for genre and, preferably, the ability to add more.

4) There needs to be more flexibility in the pricing tiers and, preferably, the ability to calculate the cost based on the size parameter (word count in the case of editing). I price primarily by word in addition to the specific editing needs of the client. While I can (and often do) round to 500 or 1000 words, there's no way to fit that into three slots. So, we would need either a fairly flexible pricing calculator, a "starting at" option, or unlimited pricing tiers.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS