Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Join our Early Access Program for Project Catalog

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
91 of 199

Isabelle Anne A wrote:


This is exactly the kind of comment/feedback I was hoping to see. This project cataog thing sounds a bit gimmicky to me and seems like a way to package professional individuals as items on a shelf that customers can just pick and pay a set price for. For me, that contradicts the concept of freelancing.


But it eliminates a lot of work for Upwork. In most cases, Upwork's sole role will be to provide server space for the posting and interaction (automatically), escrow the funds (automatically) and release them at the appropriate time (automatically). Same fees, virtually no human resources used.

 

Nearly all of the changes over the past year or so appear to have been geared toward generating more revenue while reducing labor costs.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
92 of 199

Tiffany S wrote:

Isabelle Anne A wrote:


This is exactly the kind of comment/feedback I was hoping to see. This project cataog thing sounds a bit gimmicky to me and seems like a way to package professional individuals as items on a shelf that customers can just pick and pay a set price for. For me, that contradicts the concept of freelancing.


But it eliminates a lot of work for Upwork. In most cases, Upwork's sole role will be to provide server space for the posting and interaction (automatically), escrow the funds (automatically) and release them at the appropriate time (automatically). Same fees, virtually no human resources used.

 

Nearly all of the changes over the past year or so appear to have been geared toward generating more revenue while reducing labor costs.


I realize that and understand that Upwork will always do what's best for itself. But how far are they willing to go in this regard before the site and its freelancers become irrevocably cheapened? The reason why I continue with Upwork is because it's so different to other freelancing sites. But if it keeps regressing in this manner, it will no longer be suitable for the kind of work I do. 

 

If this new catalog thing is just an additional feature, fine, but why do I get the feeling that it's not, and that they're pushing us into a direction that a lot of us don't want to go? Just like with specialized profiles, that horrible auto check-in thing, and other equally stupid ways of controlling our work and how we do it.

 

For a long time I've been complaining about the quality of clients/jobs on the site. I think many can agree that that's something Upwork should focus on instead.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
93 of 199

Isabelle Anne A wrote:


I realize that and understand that Upwork will always do what's best for itself. But how far are they willing to go in this regard before the site and its freelancers become irrevocably cheapened? The reason why I continue with Upwork is because it's so different to other freelancing sites. But if it keeps regressing in this manner, it will no longer be suitable for the kind of work I do. 

 


It's a little OT for this thread, but I've long believed that Upwork is on the path to phasing out high-end freelancers who provide customized services. I don't think they'll kick us out or anything, but I think changes in both site functionality and client acquisition are consistently geared toward making a profit on larger-scale, more consistent contracts. A lot of higher-billing freelancers seem to think we're the ones Upwork wants to keep, but I don't think so. I think widgetized "freelancers" will generate more revenue for them at a lower cost, and that will become increasingly true as they continue to cultivate large corporate clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
94 of 199

Tiffany S wrote:

Isabelle Anne A wrote:


I realize that and understand that Upwork will always do what's best for itself. But how far are they willing to go in this regard before the site and its freelancers become irrevocably cheapened? The reason why I continue with Upwork is because it's so different to other freelancing sites. But if it keeps regressing in this manner, it will no longer be suitable for the kind of work I do. 

 


It's a little OT for this thread, but I've long believed that Upwork is on the path to phasing out high-end freelancers who provide customized services. I don't think they'll kick us out or anything, but I think changes in both site functionality and client acquisition are consistently geared toward making a profit on larger-scale, more consistent contracts. A lot of higher-billing freelancers seem to think we're the ones Upwork wants to keep, but I don't think so. I think widgetized "freelancers" will generate more revenue for them at a lower cost, and that will become increasingly true as they continue to cultivate large corporate clients.


This is an interesting line of thinking and very worrying (for freelancers like me) if it's true. I don't recall any other freelancer predicting this in the forums before ("phasing out high-end freelancers") -- and you very well could be right. Although if that's their aim, it doesn't make much sense to me because some of my contracts are what I'd consider large-scale and consistent (I mean, I still work with a couple of clients who were my first clients on the site!).

 

And that's exactly what I want to know. If what they really want is "widgetized" freelancers, they could just inform the rest of us so that we can start making plans to move off site. Though I often think (and write) about finding work elsewhere, I simpy don't because I've gotten too comfortable with Upwork, and it still works for me. But many of its changes over the past few years have affected my work quite a bit, and at some point or the other, if it forces changes upon the type of work I do or how I do it (like with specialized profiles, catalogs, etc.), that's going too far and in one way undermines the benefits of freelancing.

 

I just wish there was a little more transparency from them.

Highlighted
Active Member
Najam U Member Since: Jan 19, 2019
95 of 199

I liked upwork because it was different from fiverr, I believe Upwork will lose its uniqueness this say, have to say didn't like this feature. Now every tom and harry will come and start making projects like they do on fiverr, this way Upwork's freelancer's quality will probably fall down. I hope upwork make something to make this thing different than gig system. at the moment it looks like a ditto copy of fiverr's gig system

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Susan S Member Since: Aug 22, 2020
96 of 199

Exactly!  And that's why I like it on Upwork and don't use Fiverr.  I've heard people say things about the competition on Upwork... well, it's much worse on Fiverr.  Upwork has a wonderful system and I hope it doesn't get ruined.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Robert G Member Since: Aug 7, 2018
97 of 199

I would be interested to hear from freelancers who have found the concept useful and describe their buisness model and how it helped. So far, the trend seems to be a "not value added" concept. Maybe I am missing something.

Highlighted
Active Member
Meshac Paul E Member Since: Oct 7, 2020
98 of 199

Hi,

 

I have created my project but i saw this meesage "You're in the Early Access program for Project Catalog and your projects will not yet be visible until the client experience launches. Stay tuned"

please i will love to kmow when the project will be visible for clients.

Highlighted
Active Member
Patrik G Member Since: Sep 22, 2018
99 of 199

First I would like tosay that I really like tis new feature. But I would like the option to not have a photo of my project,it is really hard to come up with a photo to illustrate a translation of a product description. I would realy like if Upwork for all categories offered some generic illustrations for the freelancer to choose among.You know for all of us who are not freelancing illustrators or photograpers Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Moderator
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
100 of 199

Patrik G wrote:

First I would like tosay that I really like tis new feature. But I would like the option to not have a photo of my project,it is really hard to come up with a photo to illustrate a translation of a product description. I would realy like if Upwork for all categories offered some generic illustrations for the freelancer to choose among.You know for all of us who are not freelancing illustrators or photograpers Smiley Happy


Hi Patrik,

 

I understand the nature of your request. You might already be aware of this but just noting that you can check out websites like www.unsplash.com that offer free, high-quality images you can use for your projects. Make sure you have the necessary permission for the images you decide on using in your projects.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS