MA Aisa A Member Since: Oct 8, 2020
81 of 199

Thanks! Appreciate your prompt reply!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
82 of 199

Lena E wrote:

...If you’re a social media manager, for example, client requests may be less concrete. You may receive requests based on a goal rather than a deliverable. For example, a client comes to you wanting to increase their social media following to 100K. As the expert, you know the strategy, cadence, and deliverables necessary to make that happen.

Necessary? OK. Sufficient? Ummm...

I'm a bit surprised to see Upwork offer an (implicitly) endorsed example of a contract spec with a success criterion that depends on the response of a third party—let alone 100,000 third parties. Good luck with that Eff-Yeah-Rhubarb-Pie-BUT-NO-STRAWBERRIES! channel.

Highlighted
Solomon D Member Since: Aug 13, 2020
83 of 199
Hello, I created a project under this new feature, but its showing in draft folder instead of under review folder. What seems to be the issue please?
Highlighted
Community Leader
Robert G Member Since: Aug 7, 2018
84 of 199

So, for a freelancer that does custom unique one of a kind, like custom software, this concept has no real merit? What would a project be?

Highlighted
Glenn K Member Since: Jun 19, 2020
85 of 199

I'm a Voice Over artist and have been invited to submit to the new Project Catalog program. Building my profile/project, there doesn't seem to be a category for Voice Over. I looked in the Music & Audio category, but none of the Specialties fit with Voice Over.

What Specialty should I choose?

Or will there be a Voice Over specialty added any time soon?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
86 of 199

Hi Glenn,

I checked this for you and was able to locate this category: "Design > Voice-Over" that might suit your needs. Once you choose it you'll be able to further define the service you're offering by compleating other sections. This is the closes category for you to choose at the moment. Since we are in the early stages of testing, you will see some areas that are still under construction. We appreciate your feedback and will definitely share it with the team.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Glenn K Member Since: Jun 19, 2020
87 of 199
I’ll check it out. Thanks!
Highlighted
Kelvin B Member Since: Apr 20, 2020
88 of 199

What really made me invest time on Upwork and prefer this platform was this alternative to the Fiverr model.

While I know it's an optional feature , from an uninformed client's perspective (of which there are many, that's also a large part of our job: educating clients - lets be honest about that) it's the best, most cost effective way to go. "Why not just buy this little modular service and get X output out of it." In my industry, it's not so simple. I cant easily modularlize my services and promise X out of it.

Most projects organically evolve into a problem solving, value driven relationship that can't be solved with modular little projects that the client purchases one time. Worse is that this wont stop the snake oil salesmen from promising the Moon with this one time purchase, drive costs way down, and just lead to the freelancers having to get into the mode of cranking out these modular projects and the clients being disappointed or scammed every time.

Don't constantly reinvent the wheel, or fix what isn't broken. Invest time in bringing and keeping quality freelancers AND clients on this platform, not control HOW we do our work. 

Highlighted
Jacob H Member Since: Oct 9, 2020
89 of 199

I'm a little scared by this as well. I consistenly bill between $50 and $300 for my custom software solutions for platforms such as Discord, Telegram, and GroupMe. Comparable projects on Fiverr are all listed as "starting at $5"... I'm worried about either being forced to drive my prices down or risk losing business if I start getting undercut by these underpriced modular projects. I've loved being able to discuss payment with my clients, give them an overview of what I'll be working on and how many hours it will take me, and then set a flat project fee based on that time.

I've also been reading some of the other comments in this thread and I'll have to agree that this system just doesn't seem like it will work great for the Upwork model.

If these were "recommended" projects/prices that lead a client through submitting an offer/invitation which I could then negotiate, I would love this feature.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
90 of 199

Kelvin B wrote:

What really made me invest time on Upwork and prefer this platform was this alternative to the Fiverr model.

While I know it's an optional feature , from an uninformed client's perspective (of which there are many, that's also a large part of our job: educating clients - lets be honest about that) it's the best, most cost effective way to go. "Why not just buy this little modular service and get X output out of it." In my industry, it's not so simple. I cant easily modularlize my services and promise X out of it.

Most projects organically evolve into a problem solving, value driven relationship that can't be solved with modular little projects that the client purchases one time. Worse is that this wont stop the snake oil salesmen from promising the Moon with this one time purchase, drive costs way down, and just lead to the freelancers having to get into the mode of cranking out these modular projects and the clients being disappointed or scammed every time.

Don't constantly reinvent the wheel, or fix what isn't broken. Invest time in bringing and keeping quality freelancers AND clients on this platform, not control HOW we do our work. [ESPECIALLY THIS!!]

This is exactly the kind of comment/feedback I was hoping to see. This project cataog thing sounds a bit gimmicky to me and seems like a way to package professional individuals as items on a shelf that customers can just pick and pay a set price for. For me, that contradicts the concept of freelancing.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS