Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launching new features and what you can expect

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 37

As you know we completed a significant site infrastructure update on April 8th. Over the past week and a half our team has been focused entirely on that overhaul, working diligently to identify and fix any subsequent issues that followed the migration. They’ve been watching the site performance, and your reports, like hawks and working non-stop to get issues resolved immediately.

To help maintain our entire focus on that migration effort, we suspended the release of any new, non-critical code updates to the Upwork platform. This means no feature changes/updates were getting released to the Upwork site, no new tests were being run, and other changes we want to make to improve your experience on Upwork had to wait. For a company like ours, holding like  this is no easy task. We’re eager to bring new features and updates to your experience.

This week, we’re ready to start “shipping” new code to the site. Our infrastructure migration is complete and our Product and Engineering teams are eager to release updates and feature improvements that we expect will make your experience even better. Here are just a few things you can expect to go live in the coming weeks:

• The ability for freelancers to propose Milestones for Fixed Price contracts;
  • A “rehire” function that lets clients quickly make an offer to freelancers they’ve worked with before;
  • A personal notepad feature for Messages;
  • And more…..

We’ll provide more detailed Announcement posts on these features as they get released, so stay tuned.

We anticipate the release of code to the new infrastructure could shake up our neighborhood in the form of potential site issues. Unfortunately, this is a reality we have to be prepared for and we hope you’ll be patient with us as we work towards a new norm where the site is running smoothly and disruptions are thing of the past.

Our teams will continue to be on standby to correct any disruptions, should they occur, as quickly as possible. If issues arise, we’ll update our Status page, so check there if you’re running into any odd site behaviors you didn’t expect.  

Also, for freelancers who may be impacted by missed deadlines as a result of any site issues this week, we would be happy to reach out to your client on your behalf. Please contact support with your username and client’s name and we can get that started.

Thanks for your understanding and support!

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
2 of 37

All I want is a site that doesn't go down every single day Robot Sad

Also, one of my clients recently referred to Upwork's situation as a "nightmare." I felt embarassed on your behalf, and wish you would show some concern for your own company's reputation.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 37

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

All I want is a site that doesn't go down every single day Robot Sad

Also, one of my clients recently referred to Upwork's situation as a "nightmare." I felt embarassed on your behalf, and wish you would show some concern for your own company's reputation.

Ditto

A client left a message for me at 10 a.m. this morning ... and I could not respond to him until 2 p.m. this afternoon. It is embarrassing, not to mention unprofessionial.

I really hope Upwork is sending out letters of explanation to all their clients ... we shouldn't have to.

mherzee
mercy o Member Since: Apr 11, 2017
4 of 37

I would like higher fees, less connects and more server crashes

Also, if anything can be done to further facilitate some clients/freelancers metting up outside upwork after 2 or 3 interviews and undercuting the price of honest brokers more while leaving our connects stuck in limbo, I'd appreciat that also. 

Bring the pain!

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
5 of 37

Mercy O. stated:

I would like higher fees, less connects and more server crashes

Also, if anything can be done to further facilitate some clients/freelancers metting up outside upwork after 2 or 3 interviews and undercuting the price of honest brokers more while leaving our connects stuck in limbo, I'd appreciat that also. 

Bring the pain!

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Evidently you've never heard "be careful what you wish for."

mherzee
mercy o Member Since: Apr 11, 2017
6 of 37

I feel a freelancer union coming on....

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 37

@mercy o wrote:

I feel a freelancer union coming on....

Lol! Mercy if only . . . sadly, in the cyber world there is no such thing as a union - of any sort.

austin-edgington
Austin E Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
8 of 37

LOL....i'm sure they're working on it diligently.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
9 of 37

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand, down again.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 37

@Garnor M wrote:

This week, we’re ready to start “shipping” new code to the site. Our infrastructure migration is complete

How can the infrastructure migration be complete when things are worse than ever?

The site is down. It was down when this was posted. It is NOT "ready to ship new code to the site." The site is broken.

No new features, Thanks a lot.

Just make this current mess STOP. Make the site stay up without something malfunctioning for a whole week just once. Until then, don't mess with it. Fix it. Stop it breaking all the time.

You can't build on something that is broken. Fix what is broken, THEN think of new stuff.

NOT the other way round.

When the hell did we get so used to Upwork being broken on a regular basis that it has become "normal?"

The sheer irony of releasing a "we've fixed it" statement while the site was down did not escape me, either...

broken.jpg

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS