cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launching the new oDesk Community Platform

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
21 of 63

Thanks Suzanne, the pagination only up top can be cumbersome for longer threads. We'll add this to our list of areas to upgrade.

Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
22 of 63

so i was looking for recent posts and i noticed the "Elevating Our Workplace blah blah" topic has a new reply from a "Carlo D." posted about "9 hours ago." the thing is i can't find his comment, and when i get to the end of the thread i still see Doreen's post.

can anyone tell me how to get to the most recent comment?

ETA: okay, i found out what's going on. apparently since formats for posting have become linear, replies to comments have become messed up and hard to find.

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 63

Junelle, you should be able to Sort Newest to Oldest or the other way around when you click on "Topic Options." It has been helping me a lot to find most recent posts on long threads. Let me know if you are able to find that option to sort posts.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
24 of 63

It'll take some getting used to but it's looking much better than before. I came to note the pagination thingy but I see someone's already mentioned it. I like the addition of skill-specific forums - might reduce the spam in other community areas. 

So, kudos : )

ETA: hm, no functionality to track your own posts/threads besides the email subscription? or am I missing something?

+ probably worth to try a few different formatting options for main body text in posts? I tried the look in 3-4 browsers and the formatting is just hard to read, especially in longer paragraphs. Either 1px down for the font size while keeping the same line height, or 1px up for the line height. Anything to stop it from looking like a solid textwall. And definitely some automatic space before/after paragraphs. Longer posts without manual extra breaks are hell to read. 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
25 of 63

Bojana

"ETA: hm, no functionality to track your own posts/threads besides the email subscription? or am I missing something?"

If you click on your own name you will be able to see the posts/threads you have made or posted in.

Community Guru
26 of 63

Actually, no - if I click on your name, I see your posts and threads, and generally - your community profile. But if I click on mine, it takes me to my freelancer profile, the public view. Garnor's link also goes to freelancer's profile. 

Also, just FYI oDesk - when you click on someone's name on the forum, for a short period of time the actual login username of the user is visible in the new tab. Not a big deal but still, aren't those supposed to be private?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
27 of 63

Thank you for your feedback about the new Community platform, Bojana.

Typically, if you click on a user's name from the Community and their oDesk profile is set to private it will redirect you to their Community profile. If their oDesk profile is public, you should be able to navigate to it from the Community.

We are aware of the issue with usernames and understand how it can be a privacy issue. We are working on preventing usernames from being displayed publicly anywhere in the Community.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
28 of 63

Sooo... I don't see my community profile (and my threads/posts page) because my oDesk profile's set to public? Should I set it to private just to see my own community profile then? I'm kinda lost with the logic of that.

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
29 of 63

Bojana,

Like you, to follow my own posts, I switch my profile private-public as well. It's getting to my nerves. We discussed what the problems the new forum has at this thread too.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
30 of 63

Hi all,

As mentioned, we've been tracking your feedback and including this in our plans for future improvements to the Community. I'm hosting a webinar next week to dive into this a bit deeper. I'll give you a sense of what areas we've identified for improvement and get your thoughts on how this meshes with your experience and pain points so far.

You can register for one of the two sessions here:

Session 1: Dec. 9, 10-11am (Pacific) - Register here

Session 2: Dec. 9, 2pm-3pm (Pacific) - Register here

I look forward to talking with you more then.