Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launching the new oDesk Community Platform

Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
51 of 63

Suggestion (more like a plea but I don't want to sound desperate): 

Please reconsider the way forum profiles are handled. It makes absolutely zero sense to have to toggle my main oDesk profile visibility just so I can see my own posts in the community. If you're making us click a separate sign-in button on the forum page, then separate the two profiles completely and give the community profile basic forum fetaures - last posts, threads started, etc. A simple link to the freelancer profile would be simpler to handle than the current situation of not knowing which profile you'll land on when you click someone's community handle.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
52 of 63

Hi Bojana,

You exactly described the change we are going to implement in the following couple of months. Precisely, we are going to have separate forum profiles for all the members regardless of their visibility setting with an easy way to track forums posts and navigate to the user's oDesk profile. Stay tuned.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
53 of 63

Nice, profiles are fixed - much better now : )

One suggestion - perhaps consider replacing the current  Community footer with the one for the main Upwork site? Community discussions often involve checking / quoting / debating parts of the ToS or the Help section - it would be much more user friendly if the footer in the Community offered quick access to those; now you need to open the main site just to get to them.  

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
54 of 63

Thanks Bojana!

Having the main footer here was our original intent, but we weren't able to get that included as part of the redesign. We'll take another look though and see if this is something we can add back. You bring up some good reasons for doing so.

Ace Contributor
Sara P Member Since: Jul 22, 2010
55 of 63

Hi there!

I'm writing to ask why, when I'm not logged in, messages in threads don't appear in chronological order.

Thanks.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
56 of 63

Hi Sara, 

When you are logged in, posts appear in the order you set in your Preferences. So for example it could be Linear layout > Newest First. The logged out view shows as a default - oldest first with replies showing under the posts they were in reply to. I hope it makes sense.

Screenshot_2.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Gaurav K Member Since: Jun 3, 2015
57 of 63

thas really dood idea

Reham M Member Since: Nov 8, 2015
58 of 63

HI Mam ,

I am new here, and i have completed my profile and applying for job but with no respond , iam out of credit , please tell me what i can do . Please review my profile as soon as possible as I am curious to start working here.

Regards,

Reham

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
59 of 63

Reham,

Thank you for your post and for your question.

Just to clarify something... You are out of "connects," not credit. Free connects are renewed each month. You'll receive a fresh new allotment soon.

Until then (and even afterward), you have time to work on your profile.

I think you have a good photo and a great attitude. That's good.

You only have two portfolio items, and they're not particularly helpful. I would like to see more portfolio items which really demonstate the kind of work you can do. This may require you to create some projects for free, so that you can really show off what you are capable of without sharing any real client's data.

In order to really help you, I think it is best if I am blunt. So don't take this personally and don't let it get you down. Just weigh the advice and see what you can do with it:

The biggest problem with your profile is that it is very, very boring.

There is nothing here that I have not seen hundreds of times over. Same skills. Same platitudes. Sentences that are identical to sentences I've seen before on other profiles.

Because your profile is so boring, there is really no reason for any client to hire you. You are not offering something different.

There are probably a million other contractors who claim to have skill with Microsoft Excel/PowerPoint/Word. That is just very boring.

Do you know what would be more interesting? More compelling? What if you focused on just one skill, or just one software application? Really focus. Ignore all the other stuff you can do. Just focus on ONE thing you can do. Study that one thing. Tell us about things you can do with that one skill or one application that most people can't do. Show us in your portfolio. What is the one thing you're best at?

Then apply for jobs that require that one particular skill, and let clients see that you are THE person to hire for that skill.

Don't try to be good at everything. That's impossible. That won't get you your first job.

Darcy W Member Since: Jun 11, 2016
60 of 63

Hi I was an ODESK member years ago!  I'm logging back in to see what's new with the site as  Upwork.

I wasn't too impressed with the ODesk freelance social network & job board...and people were giving it negative reviews for spam and legitimate work ethics as well as poor payment for jobs. Also, it was a bit 'glitchy'. I was disillusioned so I stopped creating my profile midstream, lol! 

Now I'm back...to give it a 2nd try as UPWORK.

I updated my profile and was directed to 'Accept' : NEW USER AGREEMENT. But the agreement is only partially displayed and doesn't give me an option to ACCEPT. 

PS I also notice from FORUM contributors that "fishing" sic PHISHING is fairly prevalent on the site...that's a big problem. 

Let me know if you can please help me ACCEPT the new User Agreement.