Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Hiring Update and New Feature

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 47

Hi everyone,

We’re looping back to give you an update on the results of the location selection test that was launched last April with U.S. clients, and announced here. At the time of launch, we heard some of you were concerned that this initiative might drive U.S. clients to only hire domestically, taking opportunities away from freelancers in other countries.  After a few months of testing, we have found that giving clients this option brought in MORE new clients (as we hoped), without taking away opportunities from our global community (earnings all over are growing steadily). We have since rolled out this feature to all U.S. clients, and we're considering expanding to other countries.

Because of the location selection test, we heard feedback from U.S. clients wanting even more granularity when specifying location on job posts. Clients have told us they sometimes need a local freelancer but they’re unable to clearly specify this as a requirement for their job.  Although clients can say they want a local freelancer in their project description, any freelancer is able to submit a proposal even if they’re not near the client’s specified location. This can lead to frustration and unfortunately clients seeking freelancers for these types of projects have told us they’re not able to use Upwork today.

To make Upwork a better place for all clients’ needs, we’re testing a new feature allowing some clients to specify whether their project requires a local freelancer, and post a job viewable only to freelancers near their location. We’ll be testing this initially in a few metro areas (San Francisco, New York, and Los Angeles). We hope that by giving clients more granularity when setting requirements on their job post, we make Upwork a solution for more clients with differing needs. Plus, freelancers don’t waste time submitting proposals and using Connects on jobs they won’t be considered for.

Here’s how it’ll work:

Clients who need a local freelancer can set this requirement on their job post.  And, only freelancers in the vicinity of the client’s location will see these job posts and be able to submit proposals. Keep in mind if a client changes their mind or chooses to invite a freelancer outside of their area, they can do so at any time.

What this means for you:

If you’re a freelancer based in SF, NY, LA., you may start seeing local projects in your job search results, indicated like this:

local hiring job post.png

If all goes well we hope to expand this out to other locations in the future. We will keep you updated.

Thanks,

Lena

Untitled
Heliton N Member Since: Nov 9, 2015
2 of 47

I'm a freelancer from an emergent country and my rate is high, this feature will make it very hard for me to keep taking good paying jobs.

Chances are big that a client from U.S. won't find me anymore, and so on. The client won't even bother to search freelancer from other countries, why should he pay $100/h to a freelancer from Brazil if he can hire a local freelancer for the same price?

Anyway I understand that Upwork is looking for increased profitability, after all, it's a business.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 47

We understand your concern, Heliton. Up until now, clients who needed a local freelancer typically did not use Upwork to hire at all. By giving clients the ability to easily specify that their projects need a local freelancer, we make Upwork a better place for all their freelancer needs, including work where a freelancer’s location doesn’t matter. For that reason, we expect this test will bring more opportunities to Upwork - both for freelancers who work remotely and for those who can meet in-person.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
4 of 47

I think this could be very useful, but I wonder if it will lead to an increase in posts for regular brick and mortar jobs instead of actual freelancers - there are already a good number of these daily in the design listings.

That said, I would be grateful to be able to filter out jobs with ANY in-person requirements, as that's just not what freelancing is about for me.

Kali B Member Since: Feb 9, 2016
5 of 47

I don't suppose there's any way to opt out of such a thing, is there? The one thing I truly enjoy of being able to work using Upwork is that I can choose not to meet face-to-face with clients. Can't I just have my agoraphobia in peace? Seriously, though, I just think it'll be demoralizing if I continuously have to decline invites based solely on this.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 47

Hi Kali,

At the moment there is no option to only search for these job or filter them out. However, when you review job posts you’ll be able to quickly scan and see which ones have this requirement. Based on the results of our testing, we may add the ability to search or filter these jobs specifically in the future.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
7 of 47

@Kali B wrote:

I don't suppose there's any way to opt out of such a thing, is there? The one thing I truly enjoy of being able to work using Upwork is that I can choose not to meet face-to-face with clients. Can't I just have my agoraphobia in peace? Seriously, though, I just think it'll be demoralizing if I continuously have to decline invites based solely on this.

Hi Kali,

Unfortunately the notion of freelancer choice and the rollout of of UW's new features have not traditionally gone hand in hand. I don't know why because how you want to operate day to day as a freelancer should be up to you.  I think there's just a bunch of keeners in head office who want to keep up the image that they're innovative movers and shakers. The problem is, not all change is good change.   Just because it's new, doesn't make it better or more worthwhile.

Lisa R Member Since: Feb 4, 2016
8 of 47

I'm a writer living in San Francisco, and I look forward to seeing what clients post.  This could help those of us living in, and bidding from, high-priced communities with plenty of competition already.  Thanks for giving this a try.

Best,

Lisa

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
9 of 47

Hello Lena,

Thanks for the update. Will the new test terminate the location selection test? In other words, is this a replacement test or an addition? And how do you think the new test will affect the other?

For example: can someone not require a "local freelancer" in the US but marks the job as available only to US freelancers at the same time?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 47

Thanks for raising this question Wassim. These two initiatives aren't mutually exclusive and clients will be able to opt into using both or only one of these features on their job post. That means clients who have access to both of these features will be able to set up their job as in the scenario you mentioned.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS