cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location Filters in Search are coming!

Ashish C Member Since: May 28, 2016
21 of 34

Hi Tam,

Good to see filter by location active, whereas its just country we can filter - not city/ state/ distance from zip, which was actually there at Elance.com and was very handy tool to find/ follow area specific clients - say in USA, we want to apply for state Texas and then specific city Austin.

Can any chance this wonderful facility come back to Upwork (old Elance/ oDesk) users?

Regards,
Ashish

Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
22 of 34
Because clients have the right to choose their budget and the experience level that they want for their project, just as we have a right to ignore their low-budget posts.

I don't like them posting inaccurately anymore than anyone else, but the more we try to educate them on fair rates or collectively ignore low ball budgets expecting us to deliver the stars, the better off we, as professionals, will be. Unfortunately Upwork can't do anything about it. All we can do is not bid on them.
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
23 of 34

James, what you are talking about simply is not possible.

You have proposed something, but have not suggested a way for it to be implemented.

There is no way.

Is $100 too low for an expert level translation job?

Do you think you know that it is too low?

It turns out that this job posting was for a job that involved translating a single paragraph. An expert was happy to do it.

So $200 must be an appropriate amount for an expert translation job, right?

No, that job posting was for a thirty-page technical document, and $200 definitely is not enough.

A computer interface can not understand or enforce this.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
24 of 34

Preston H wrote:

A computer interface can not understand or enforce this.

Well, certainly the current interface cannot, but there's really nothing that prevents Upwork from collecting more specific information about the jobs that get posted and then exposing it to search.  I've already seen more than a few jobs that seem to have a "standardized" set of additional options (e.g., "Type of work: Develop website from scratch").  Yet I don't seem to be allowed to search based on that very useful bit of information.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
25 of 34

I wrote a long response to this last night and suddenly it was gone. I can't be sure whether it just didn't send. or was deleted after posting.

So, different version:

Budget or expertise level - one or the other - simples

It wouldn't matter if it didn't waste connects. Why should I gamble on a post asking for 10,000 words edited for $30, and asking for an expert?

And the bad thing is, this will now all feed into a roborithm that will determine the going price based on what clients set as their preferred expertise level and their preferred payment for it.

Then the next step is, a freelancer applies and gets advised by a robot as to what they should really be charging, based on what it's observed that clients would like to get away with paying for that expert level.

And the majority of newbie/green/lazy/dumb freelancers stick to that expert guidance and bid accordingly.

RESULT: the price level gets set based on what clients would like to pay for a specific expertise level- and that becomes set in stone as what freelancers should expect to earn at that level.

And freelancers get officially advised of that.

Prices go down.

Dumber and dumber.

Please, let me see this post when I wake in the morning...

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
26 of 34

Stephen B wrote:

Dumber and dumber.  

Since we're making movie references (Dumb and Dumber),

"I find your lack of faith disturbingRobot Mad

But seriously, all things being equal, Upwork makes more money when freelancers charge higher rates, so let's hope they put in safeguards to prevent price drops. For instance, I *strongly* suspect there are bots that apply to posts as soon as a job is posted, and presumably these bots will now rubberstamp whatever rate is suggested by the algorithm, so without due diligence Upwork could shoot itself in the foot.

27 of 34

While the location filter is a nice addition, it really is not useful unless clients are forced to state a location.  For some of us who are required by law to be licensed or credentialed and can only work in certain locations, with the new connect system, we are forced to gamble on every single post without a location stated.  Before anyone tells me this is only a problem for a few select fields, I cannot figure out one single downside to making the client state a location. Please help!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
28 of 34

Hi Ashley,

I understand your concern. Our system allows new clients to post a job before they enter all the detailed information about them and their company and verify their payment method. However, clients who have hired before and verified their payment method would have specified their location as well.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
29 of 34

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Ashley,

I understand your concern. Our system allows new clients to post a job before they enter all the detailed information about them and their company and verify their payment method. However, clients who have hired before and verified their payment method would have specified their location as well.

Hi Valeria,

Maybe that's part of the problem here - allowing clients to post jobs without providing all of the information about themselves first. Maybe if Upwork would make the new clients provide (important) details like their location and payment verification before they can post a job, it would minimize some problems that freelancers are having. Just a thought.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
30 of 34

re: "While the location filter is a nice addition, it really is not useful unless clients are forced to state a location.  For some of us who are required by law to be licensed or credentialed and can only work in certain locations..."

Um, okay... But keep in mind that an extremely small percentage of Upwork contractors are required to have state-specific credentials.

I totally support the idea of letting clients and contractors filter searches by location.

Personally, I don't care at all where clients live, and my clients don't care one bit where I live (as far as I know... I have clients in Euope, Asia, Australia, America... It doesn't seem to matter).

But I think this is important for many people, and filtering to find clients/contractors specific to certain regions or excluding certain regions/countries would be a great feature.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS