cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Location Selection Expanding to UK Clients

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 561

We are excited to announce that next week we are expanding our location selection features to now include clients in the United Kingdom.

Last year, we rolled out a set of location features in the U.S. that allowed clients who are interested in only hiring freelancers within their country the ability to set their freelancer search and job post accordingly.  We found that giving clients this additional option brought in more new clients without taking away opportunities from our global community (freelancers’ earnings all over are growing steadily).

Because this functionality was well-received by our clients and freelancers in the U.S., we’ve decided to build them out in the U.K. as well. New clients in the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland), will now be able to post jobs targeted to freelancers in the U.K.

Clients  in U.K, here’s how it’ll work:

U.K. clients who prefer to hire within their country will have the option of setting their freelancer search and job post visibility to freelancers in the U.K. only.  And, only freelancers with a U.K. location in their profile will see these jobs and if verified, will be able to submit proposals for them. Clients can always change their mind or choose to invite a freelancer outside of the U.K. to these job posts.

UK client location.png

Freelancers in U.K., what this means for you:

You’ll start seeing jobs with a U.K. location requirement

On your job search, you’ll be able to filter for jobs with this requirement. These jobs will show up in your results, indicated like this:

UK Job tile.png

You may be asked to verify your location the first time you submit a proposal for a project with a location requirement.

Your city is now displayed on your profile to U.K. clients

On profiles, your location will now be listed as a city instead of a country. A map will also display pointing to the center of the city.

UK Fl location.png

Let us know if you have any questions.

Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 561

@Lena E wrote:

We are excited to announce that next week we are expanding our location selection features to now include clients in the United Kingdom.

Guess what? I am not "excited!"

I won't outline my feelings about this, as I fail to find polite words.

I assume the heavy handed, deliberately and willingly discriminatory practice of making it the default with no true choice will also be included just as it is for US clients?

Apparently this is no longer the case, so the above is no longer valid. Thanks for clarifying Valeria! (Maybe best to delete these 4 posts to not confuse others with my outdated outrage Smiley Wink )

Highlighted
Community Manager
3 of 561

Hey Petra, 

When new clients in UK post a job, there is a question if clients would like post for UK-only or Worldwide.  This same format is for US clients job posts too. 

UK client location.png

Untitled
Community Guru
4 of 561

@Lena E wrote:

Hey Petra, 

When new clients in UK post a job, there is a question if clients would like post for UK-only or Worldwide.  This same format is for US clients job posts too. 

UK client location.png

Why do my US clients tell me it defaults to US only unless they physicallly go and change it?

Are they lying? (PS - this has been confirmed here in the forum many times, too.)

Apparently this was changed. Thanks!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 561

Hi Petra,

I suspect your clients were referring to an older version of the job posting flow. The job post flow was updated several months ago when we were updating our site to become mobile friendly. Please, see this thread and screenshots Preston posted of the options shown to US clients.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
6 of 561

@Valeria K wrote:

I suspect your clients were referring to an older version of the job posting flow. The job post flow was updated several months ago when we were updating our site to become mobile friendly.

Hi Valeria,

Indeed , that was several months ago.  So now every time a client posts a job they get to choose? If that's the case, I retract what I said and correct it, and Thanks, that's much better news!

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 561

"New clients in the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland), will now be able to post jobs targeted to freelancers in the U.K."

Um, no. I would suggest Upwork immediately review its entire interface and promotional materials for this feature for any suggestion that the Republic of Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. In the present example:

"New clients in the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland) and in the Republic of Ireland will now be able to post jobs targeted to freelancers in those countries."

Community Manager
8 of 561

Hey Douglas Michael,

You are correct. I Apologize for sharing misinformation and have edited the post to reflect the correct information. 

-Lena

Untitled
Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
9 of 561

Hi Lena,

Is there any chance of getting this in the EU too? 

Thanks! 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 561

Hi Maria,

We do plan to offer this option to clients in other countries in the future, likely adding one country at a time. We’ll be sure to keep the Community updated!

~ Valeria
Untitled