cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Verifying UK location as EU citizen

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
61 of 537

Hi Guido,

I checked and it looks like your location has already been verified, you aren't required to complete location verification process at the moment. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification process in the future.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Thomas M Member Since: Sep 19, 2018
62 of 537

Hi I am have ID Verification problems. I am based in the UK (London) but my ID is Greek. Could you please help me solve this problem ?

Best,

Tom

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
63 of 537

Hi Thomas,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly and assist you with the verification process.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Aurelian S Member Since: May 19, 2017
64 of 537

Hi there!

I'm living in the UK, working in the UK, I have done jobs via UpWork before, and now they tell me I can't access jobs that are in the UK because I don't possess a driving license or a British passport? Kidding me? Do I need to create a fake driving licence in Photoshop? Why? I'm not going to make a driving license for the sake of UpWork, might use something else. 

I'm in the UK, want to bring some clients that are in the UK, and you are telling me I need to be British nationality, despite living in the UK.

So, how is it that this verification is meant to help me or the clients out? 

Can you verify my location? You're going to track my device? I and others might just use a VPN to trick this 'verification'. 

I understand that you might want to save time, but do it for people that have earned less than $1000. Clients don't care where you're from as long as you can deliver, for the most part. Though now you're losing business perhaps because I'm not going to do business with anyone that's outside from the UK or US. I thought I'll continue UpWork right now, but it seems I can't 'verify' my self.

Fair enough. What's is the solution here? Might just take that pop up from my account and put me as a UK member, so I can get clients and erarn money as I did before for both of our benefits. 

Perhaps a client cares if you have a British driving license and passport... they don't. Though sudently you exclude all of the people that are in the UK but don't have UK driving license and a passport. 

Might just get a fake one and get a VPN (for those that aren't in the UK), really, not sure how you will check it either way.

So, the solution to this problem is...?

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
65 of 537

Hi Aurelian,

Once of our customer support members will reach out to you via email to assist you further with your location verification. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
Olivier B Member Since: Oct 6, 2018
66 of 537

Hi,

After a quick research I couldn't find anyone discussing this very topic. I am a EU citizen (French) who's been living in the UK for a year now. I'd like to verify my location to be able to apply to jobs that are open to UK residents only. Problem is, they require either a UK driving license or a UK passport to do so, which I do not have. Is there any way to provide something else ? 

Thanks,

Olivier.

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
67 of 537

Hi Olivier,

We'll have one of our agents get in touch with you to assist you with this. Thank you for reaching out to us!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
68 of 537

Upwork seems to be pre-empting Brexit  big time.

Olivier B Member Since: Oct 6, 2018
69 of 537

This is sadly how I felt to be honest. Limiting the proof of location to documents that only UK citizens can obtain is effectively exluding people with other nationalities to apply to the job. I fail to see how this is non-discriminatory. I'm in touch with someone from the staff I'll let you know how it goes.

Kaisa S Member Since: Apr 7, 2017
70 of 537

I'm originally from Finland, but I've been living in the UK for several years. So far, it's been very easy for EU citizens to live and work in the UK, as no special permits are needed. I'm registered as a freelancer in Britain under the HMRC, have a National Insurance Number etc.  Upwork keeps asking me to verify my location, but the only accepted documents are either British passport or a British driver's license. However, I don't have a British passport because I'm not British. I also don't have a British driver's license because I don't drive. Does this mean there is simply no way for me to verify my location?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS