cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Location Selection Expanding to UK Clients

Savina V Member Since: Jan 9, 2019
551 of 586

Hello,

I'm EU citizen and I live in UK. How can I verify my account if I haven't got either UK driving license or UK passport?

Thank you

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
552 of 586

Hi Savina, 

I will share your account information with the Customer Support Team so that they can initiate a manual verification for your location. Through this verification, you can provide a government issued photo ID and a document with proof of residence dated within 6-months.

-Avery
Untitled
Izzy A Member Since: Jan 27, 2018
553 of 586

Oh, just seen this announcement and really disappointed to read it! I'm a Londoner but moved abroad (to France) six months ago. I really enjoy the connections I've made with UK clients on Upwork - and this means lots of potential new clients won't get to see my profile anymore, even though I'm from the UK and a native in language, culture, and work culture, and probably fulfill all of the requirements/wants that motivate them to select UK only freelancers. Sad! 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
554 of 586

Hi Izzy,

I understand your concern, thanks for sharing your feedback in the Community. I'd like to clarify  that when a U.K. client posts a job and specifies they’re only interested in hiring a freelancer located in the U.K., freelancers outside of the U.K. will not see the job post. That does not mean you will not see new job posts from clients in the U.K., however. Many clients prefer the flexibility of hiring freelancers in any location and they will still make their job post visible to all freelancers, regardless of where they live. And as always, you’ll be able to see those opportunities.

Izzy A Member Since: Jan 27, 2018
555 of 586

Hey Vladimir,

Thanks for taking the time to reply - it is appreciated. I do understand that - my point is that I almost definitely meet all the requirements in terms of language, culture and work culture that would make a client want to hire UK freelancers only, so it's a shame (for me, personally, and perhaps other expat/migrant freelancers in a similar position; and definitely for the clients) that Upwork has introduced a filter that will appeal to those clients and therefore cut off the potential that I, or other UK freelancers living abroad, could have connected with them. I doubt very much that clients would select UK freelancers only because they want to be geographically close enough to physically meet the freelancers they hire - because if that were the case, Upwork probably wouldn't be the platform they'd use. I think it's more likely to be a familiarity with UK culture, and for my field in particular (copywriting), an appropriate and culturally engaging voice and understanding of local markets, that would motivate a client to go for the UK freelancers only option. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
556 of 586

Izzy A wrote:

Hey Vladimir,

Thanks for taking the time to reply - it is appreciated. I do understand that - my point is that I almost definitely meet all the requirements in terms of language, culture and work culture that would make a client want to hire UK freelancers only, so it's a shame (for me, personally, and perhaps other expat/migrant freelancers in a similar position; and definitely for the clients) that Upwork has introduced a filter that will appeal to those clients and therefore cut off the potential that I, or other UK freelancers living abroad, could have connected with them. I doubt very much that clients would select UK freelancers only because they want to be geographically close enough to physically meet the freelancers they hire - because if that were the case, Upwork probably wouldn't be the platform they'd use. I think it's more likely to be a familiarity with UK culture, and for my field in particular (copywriting), an appropriate and culturally engaging voice and understanding of local markets, that would motivate a client to go for the UK freelancers only option. 

Upwork doesn't care, Izzy, because apparently geo-blocking works for the company. However, I have read that the EU has brought in a law against geo-blocking, and I have written to find out if this extends to service companies such as Upwork  based in U.S. but subject to European and UK VAT regulations. 

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
557 of 586

It's been a while since you (Nichola) posted this and I too would like to hear how Upwork is exempt from the geoblocking law [Geo-blocking Regulation (EU) 2018/302 to be specific; applied from 3 Dec 2018].

Perhaps someone could explain?

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
558 of 586

LKim F wrote:

It's been a while since you (Nichola) posted this and I too would like to hear how Upwork is exempt from the geoblocking law [Geo-blocking Regulation (EU) 2018/302 to be specific; applied from 3 Dec 2018].

Perhaps someone could explain?

Looks as if any explanation would have to come from the relevant authorities, should anyone choose to pursue the question with them.

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
559 of 586

How is Upwork not the 'relevant authority'?

Either Upwork operates as they do because they're exempt from this law because of [a thing I'm not clear about in their case], they're being slow in reacting to a change of law and changes are on the cards, or what they're doing is illegal. 

I was assuming they knew what they were doing and some nice chap could post the sentence that will explain.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
560 of 586

I meant legal authority, as in governing/oversight body.

That is, since Upwork refuses to address this issue, anyone who believes they may be in violation of the law would have to file an official inquiry, report, or complaint to get an answer.

It is indeed a pity that Upwork stonewalls questions like this rather than having their representatives provide answers from their legal department.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS