cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location Selection Expanding to UK Clients

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
11 of 511

Does this mean all in the UK get (that infernal, ugly, invasive, lack of privacy) map in the middle of their profiles as well?

BTW, relying on Preston (or anyone's) quote in a thread somewhere to explain a change is sooooooooo wrong.  It only makes good business sense for a moderator to create a new and stand-alone post to inform users (customers) when a major change such as this has been made. 

Community Leader
Annette E Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
12 of 511

@Wendy C wrote:

Does this mean all in the UK get (that infernal, ugly, invasive, lack of privacy) map in the middle of their profiles as well?

BTW, relying on Preston (or anyone's) quote in a thread somewhere to explain a change is sooooooooo wrong.  It only makes good business sense for a moderator to create a new and stand-alone post to inform users (customers) when a major change such as this has been made. 

The map is already there. The sooner it goes away again, the better!

Ace Contributor
William G Member Since: Jun 18, 2013
13 of 511

Let me make an estimation for you how many of this "UK-only" job posts will lead to any long term contracts via Upwork: <1% 

The "UK only" option will mostly be used by companies who are "just fishing" on Upwork and are not looking for any long term contracts via Upwork. As it makes no sense for an EU/UK company to hire a confirmed EU/UK resident long term via Upwork as it is frankly ilegal. 

Did you do your research on this?  Google : "bogus self employement", "false self employment". It's a hot topic at the moment.

The few posted "UK only" jobs are all companies with profiles with an unverified payment profile are just confirming my theory.

Seasoned freelancer on this board probably smell it : This feature is not benefiting any UK freelancer or UK company......

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
14 of 511

>  As it makes no sense for an EU/UK company to hire a confirmed EU/UK resident long term via Upwork as it is frankly ilegal. 

No, it isn't. It is possible for such a hire to be illegal, but that would involve a number of factors.  In fact, some of the criteria for identifying true self-employment are integral to Upwork (https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/selfemployed-contractor): 

• they put in bids or give quotes to get work
  • they’re not under direct supervision when working
  • they submit invoices for the work they’ve done
  • they’re responsible for paying their own National Insurance and tax
  • they don’t get holiday or sick pay when they’re not working
  • they operate under a contract (sometimes known as a ‘contract for services’ or ‘consultancy agreement’) that uses terms like ‘self-employed’, ‘consultant’ or an ‘independent contractor’

Even if someone who should have worker status is falsely defined as self-employed, that still doesn't make hiring via Upwork illegal in itself.

I'm as irritated as the next person by 'UK only' being a default, but that doesn't mean anything illegal is happening here 

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
15 of 511

Thank you, Lena. I am happy to hear it was not a systemic problem.

Best,

Michael

Michael I Member Since: Oct 1, 2018
16 of 511

Can I suggest that a DVLA licence summary is deemed valid ID by Upwork? Its online, digital, faster than going through my stuff to find the old paper version somewhere!

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
17 of 511

I want the same feature for the city of Vatican.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
18 of 511

Bwahahahahahahha @ Rene.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
19 of 511

Thanks for marginalizing people in my situation a little further. 

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
20 of 511

@Irene B wrote:

Thanks for marginalizing people in my situation a little further. 

Yeah, it's going to be a looooong time before this feature reaches us, Irene, if ever. Robot Indifferent 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS