cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location Selection Expanding to UK Clients

Laetitia P Member Since: Jan 22, 2019
231 of 513

As EU citizen, my ID doesn't state the address where I currently live (London, UK).

How should I proceed to verify my location?

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
232 of 513

Hi Laetitia,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly and assist you further with verifying your location, thank you.

Untitled
Katarina B Member Since: Jan 22, 2019
233 of 513

Hi, 

I am UK resident, but the only way to prove that is by UK issued passport or a driving license.

I don't have any of those as I am not UK citizen.

Any help?

Many thanks.

Kat

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
234 of 513

Hi Katarina, 

You should be able to complete a manual verification provide a government issued photo ID and a document with proof of residence dated within 6 months. 

I'll share your account information with the Customer Support Team so that they can assist you further.

-Avery
Untitled
Jevgenija B Member Since: Jan 23, 2019
235 of 513

Hi, dear Upwork users, freelancers, and advice guru Smiley Happy 

As I am new at this platform I have 101 questions, I am sorting them out 1 by 1, but 2 out of these questions remain a complete mystery for me. I hope someone could help me out, any useful link would be considered as help too Smiley Happy 

1. I live in London (UK) - but I am an EU citizen with an EU passport. So when I am trying to verify my location Upwork ask me to upload British passport or Driving License, I do not have them both. What could be my best solution here? 

2. Tax Information, me and my partner we have a company registered in the UK, as we are the small freelance business we are not VAT registered. Tax section gives me a red notice, to fill up tax info. What I can do about that? 

Any advice, comments, link, personal experience, would be much appreciated. I was trying to talk to the  Community Bot, but we keep on having some misunderstanding Smiley Happy Thank you so much, Kind regards, Jevgenija

236 of 513

Hi Jevgenija,

1. One of our team members will reach out to you directly and assist you further with verifying your location.

2. To be able to withdrawn your funds you will need to fill out our W-8BEN form, to do this go to Settings > Tax Information. If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
237 of 513

Jevgenija B wrote:

Hi, dear Upwork users, freelancers, and advice guru Smiley Happy 

As I am new at this platform I have 101 questions, I am sorting them out 1 by 1, but 2 out of these questions remain a complete mystery for me. I hope someone could help me out, any useful link would be considered as help too Smiley Happy 

1. I live in London (UK) - but I am an EU citizen with an EU passport. So when I am trying to verify my location Upwork ask me to upload British passport or Driving License, I do not have them both. What could be my best solution here? 

2. Tax Information, me and my partner we have a company registered in the UK, as we are the small freelance business we are not VAT registered. Tax section gives me a red notice, to fill up tax info. What I can do about that? 

Any advice, comments, link, personal experience, would be much appreciated. I was trying to talk to the  Community Bot, but we keep on having some misunderstanding Smiley Happy Thank you so much, Kind regards, Jevgenija

Adding to what Goran has told you, you can register for VAT in the UK, but it is not obligatory until your business hits the £81,000 per annum mark. However, it would be advisable to talk to a tax expert about this or go to one of the very many citizen's advice offices in the country and they will probably be able to give you more details. I imagine your company is registered with Companies House, who expect you to file your accounts annually. 

This is the official UK site (but you will find a lot of advice online):  https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration/when-to-register

Citizens Advice: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Krzysztof Z Member Since: Jan 25, 2019
238 of 513

Hi, 

I live in UK and want setup location in this country.

When I try setup it asked for UK documends ( ID or passpord) buy I have only Polish documends.

How can I setup my UK location with Polish documends or UK bills payment ?

Krzysztof 

239 of 513

Hi Krzysztof, 

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket and assist you with verifying your location, thank you.

Untitled
Holly C Member Since: Jan 13, 2019
240 of 513

Hi,

This is maybe a silly query but I can't find any "Contact Us" to ask a help team directly. I was born, live and work in Scotland. I'm nearly 25, have finished Uni and moved back home with my family. I've always relied on public transport and friends/family who drive, were I needing to go anywhere the bus/train couldn't take me. (Personal and financial reasons.)
The only times I've ever left the country were on school trips in my teens, on Group Passports.
As such, my question is whether there's any way for me to verify my UK location without a Drivers Licence or Passport, OR if doing so is necessary/has a limit of time until it is? There have been several really appealing looking projects I haven't been able to apply for due to them being UK-locked.
Financially speaking, purchasing a Passport or learning to drive for a Drivers Licence is not something that will be feasible in the near future, so I'm worried I'll end up unable to work on UpWork/locked out from my account.
Can anybody confirm whether this is a must, and will cause me issues when I do find jobs? Or will it continue to only be the UK-only projects I can't take part in?

Thanks for your time,
Holly.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS