cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location Selection Expanding to UK Clients

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
311 of 561

Hi Ruth,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

Untitled
Michelle Z Member Since: Mar 6, 2019
312 of 561

Hello there,

I am new to the site and interested in working, but the verfication process requires a UK passport or Drivers Liscence. I don't have those because I am a US citizen. What is the solution to this problem? 

Thank you very much for your time!

-Michelle

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
313 of 561

Hi Michelle,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via support ticket to assist you with your verification process.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Michelle Z Member Since: Mar 6, 2019
314 of 561

Thank you Bojan for answering. Do you know how long it might possibly take for them to get ahold of me so I can quickly start my freelancing?

Thank you!

-Michelle

315 of 561

Hi Michelle,

Our team will resend the ticket as soon as possible and assist you further, thank you.

Untitled
Cherry Kate B Member Since: Feb 22, 2016
316 of 561

I don't get why we aren't able to verify our location by showing any other government-issued ID apart from a U.K. driving licence or a British passport. Not everyone who lives in the UK drives or is British over here. Some of them may hold residence cards such as myself and others may hold a work visa just to name a few, but this doesn't make us any less of a UK-based freelancer, or does it? Upwork should consider these possibilities as I'm sure a lot of Upwork freelancers "located" in the UK are missing out on possible great opportunities because of this.

317 of 561

Hi Cherry,

Just to confirm that we do have a several options on how freelancers can verify their location.
I checked your account and can confirm that your location was already verified, if you have any additional questions or further help is needed let me know. Thank you.

Untitled
Valerio M Member Since: Mar 11, 2019
318 of 561

Hello,

I am new to Upwork and I am trying to understand the location settings but I feel stumped.

I was born in Italy (and have a valid Italian passport and Italian driver's licence), I have also been living in the UK for almost 8 years now. The way location settings work I am unable to verify my actual location.

The thing that confuses me the most though, is being limited to just one location for remote work.

I live in the UK, I have one hour difference with Italy yet I can only be in one place to accept jobs (even though the time difference is not an issue). My skills and experience would make me suitable for jobs posted and available in both locations but Upwork is limiting my options and potentially forcing me to hide information or misrepresent myself (if I upload a picture of my passport I will be qualified to accept jobs from Italy while not being there for instance).

Particularly considering the advantages given by the EU (access to work in 27 countries), and the fact that the main point of freelance work is to be able to work from wherever you are, why can we only pick one location?

Thanks in advance for any help in clarifying my doubts.

319 of 561

Hi Valerio,

Your profile address needs to be your current location but you`re not limited from applying or working on jobs or clients from anywhere in the world.

One of our team members will also reach out to you to assist you further with verifying your location if you have any additional questions let me know. Thank you.

Untitled
Adrian I Member Since: Jan 24, 2018
320 of 561

Hi,

I live in the UK, but I don't have British citizenship, nor do I have a UK driving license. I could provide a bank statement or a bill under my name to prove residency, but the verification process specifies that I can only upload either a passport or driving license. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What would you advise me to do?

Thank you