cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location Selection Expanding to UK Clients

Highlighted
Kirill S Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
31 of 1,166

So I just saw this new asweosme feature called verify your location with ID or passport, this clearly hasn't been thorugh through.

I have been living in UK for the past 8 years, I have UK bank account, phone number, I pay taxes and utility bills here, but I don't have a UK ID as I'm from EU. How on earth do I need an ID to verify my location?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
32 of 1,166

Hi Kirill,

I see you've already discussed this matter with one of our agents via chat. I'll follow up with the team and they'll review the information you provided.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
33 of 1,166

Hi. I'm in the UK, and I've just started seeing the effect of this change today. Every time I go to my job feed, it defaults to UK Only, and shows me just the one matching UK Only job! I can then switch to the full job feed. But I'd like to make it show the full job feed by default, as I'm fed up with seeing that job. Is that possible?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
34 of 1,166

I don't like that this is set as a default option (and less if you do it for clients). I thought it was just a feature to select, among many others. This is too radical. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Steven T Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
35 of 1,166

Upwork has recently added localised jobs, 'UK Only' in my case. However, doing a UK search with my skills produces no jobs. All of the work I have done through Upwork has been outside of the UK. So this feature is counter productive in practice.

When I search for one of my skills, the result page turns on 'UK only' by default and shows no results until I turn it off. 'UK only' is active when I go to the Find Work page so it only shows work that is not relevant. Can I turn this localisation off or make it not active somehow?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
36 of 1,166

Steven:

This wasn't created for you.

This was created for the clients.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
37 of 1,166

Hi Steven, 

As a freelancer living in the UK, your job feed will default to jobs with a U.K. requirement. And you should still be able to check your regular job feed by clicking on your "My Job Feed" button on your Find Work page, or turning the U.K. toggle off, on your job search pages. 

You may read more about this initiative here.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Steve G Member Since: Nov 26, 2016
38 of 1,166

Hi Avery,

I do not work for UK clients through upwork because of Upwork's complete inability to handle VAT. Having to switch back to my job feed every time I look for new jobs posted is a complete waste of time at best and could mean that I miss jobs that I might otherwise apply for.

I have been a top rated freelancer for over a year now and this development is not helping. Please remove it or allow me to turn it off.

Steve

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
39 of 1,166

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Steven, 

As a freelancer living in the UK, your job feed will default to jobs with a U.K. requirement. And you should still be able to check your regular job feed by clicking on your "My Job Feed" button on your Find Work page, or turning the U.K. toggle off, on your job search pages. 

You may read more about this initiative here.

As many US-based freelancers have also complained, this default setting is NOT WANTED. We should have a choice as to how our job feed displays.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Steven T Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
40 of 1,166

A month later I come back to the site to find this issue has not been addressed in any sense. My profile still shows the useless UK Only category and its still useless. My comment has been shunted into a shared discussion so that everybody's concerns can be ignored at once.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS