Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location Selection Expanding to UK Clients

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
41 of 634

@Nichola L wrote:

Yet another unthought-out feature. I cannot think why Upwork couldn't just have adopted what Elance had which was viable, and that was a list of countries and jobs pertaining to those countries that both freelancers and clients could make use of. 

I am a UK native speaker living in France (and there are quite a few of us on Upwork, and of course, other UK native speakers who live in other European countries too), who will now be barred from applying for jobs offered by UK clients. 

I, and many others, will be banned, barred from even seeing some jobs let alone applying for them. Upwork you continue to make me feel like a pariah. But hey, I do hope your excitement lasts. It must be thrilling for you to know that you have cut even more potential income from your freelancers. 

ETA: And I am sure Upwork has taken Brexit it into account . . .

If it's any consolation, Nichola, the number of UK Only jobs seems to be negligible. I've only seen two in my job feed so far. And I would think that clients wanting translations would be even less likely to select UK only.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
42 of 634

@Richard W wrote:

And I would think that clients wanting translations would be even less likely to select UK only.

On the other hand, clients who are not based in the UK or in the US may want to select US/UK only when they seek translation into English.

But they can't, because Upwork has not implemented this. For some reason.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
43 of 634

On a side note, why is everybody talking about "Eire" instead of Ireland? Am I supposed to call Germany Deutschland from here on out?

It was me who said Eire.  It removed any possibility of the geographically challenged being confused by 'RoI' or a simple 'Ireland' and assuming NI. And I'm getting old and am used to using it.  

Steve G Member Since: Nov 26, 2016
44 of 634

UK clients are the LAST and least attractive client from a UK based freelancer because VAT cannot be applied in any realistic way.

Tiziana L Member Since: Aug 6, 2017
45 of 634

Hi! I'm the same boat as Kirill and Annette. I've been living in the Uk for more than 2 years but my Passport is Italian (and I have no driving licence). So there is no way I can use it to prove my location.

This is probably the reason why in the UK, when you need to verify your identity and location, you are usually asked for a "proof of address" toghether with you ID/Passport. For example, a utility bill or a bank statement, with your name and address clearly stated, are accepted as a proof. Would this be a valid method of validation for Upwork?

Thanks!

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
46 of 634

It seems ridiculously pedantic to exclude the Isle of Man from the UK only feed. I realise that it isn't part of the UK, but it is British.  Same goes for Jersey. I would say 'Channel Islands' but the others don't seem to exist at all...

It's a nuisance enough that Eire is separate...

Jodie B Member Since: Jul 17, 2018
47 of 634

I have submitted my ID card for Location verification, will i be needing to do any more verification

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
48 of 634

Hi Jodie,

I checked and it doesn't look like you are required to complete any kind of verification at the moment. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification process in the future.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Jodie B Member Since: Jul 17, 2018
49 of 634

You don't understand me well

When will i need to do verification?

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
50 of 634

Sorry about the confusion, Jodie. To clarify, your location has already been verified. Thanks for submitting your documents. At the moment no further verification is required.

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS