🐈 Community
» Platform » Announcements » Meet our Community Featured Contributor Bill ...
Page options
Apr 16, 2021
Meet our Community Featured Contributor Bill H.

Meet our Community Featured Contributor Bill H.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 7.56.28 AM.png

• What job category do you work in?
    Business Consulting

• When did you begin using Upwork?
    Around 2006 as Elance.

• Tell us a little about yourself and how you got started Freelancing, or running your business online?
    I was a gun-for-hire root-cause analysis since 1976. Offline work was word of mouth until I realized I could fill in temporary down periods with online work.

• What do you enjoy the most/least about working online, Bill?
    The chance to learn. For the last 10 years I've limited work to where I can learn.

• What was your most successful project/contract?
    Turning around a small from a $12M loss to a $16M profit in two years.

• Do you have any advice for other users on Upwork?
    Freelancers are business owners agreeing to mutually-beneficial arrangements with other business owners.

• Anything else you want to add? You can also share some fun interesting things about you 🙂
    I've largely ceased consulting for health reasons. It's liberating to know you've got 14-16 months left.  

My focus today is on helping people establish their own businesses to establish socioeconomic mobility. Part of that is a series in a private forum in which I'm encouraging people who do not find fulfillment in working for others to consider a freelancing career. To do so online is, today, a necessity because few people are acknowledged experts AND work for someone else. It is difficult to make that first sale without access to worldwide opportunity. I'm not an expert in Upwork and its processes; I am an expert in freelancing, in which online freelancing boards are prominent but constitute a very small drop in a very large bucket.
14 Comments