Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Memberships and Connects - Community FAQs

Highlighted
Slavisa R Member Since: Feb 19, 2015
41 of 231

With all those changes so far .. man will aks yourself:

Please do not destroy odesk we loved!

if you really ask us for opinion revert all things to last year!

------------------------------

words of one of best frelancer you have here!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
42 of 231

Hi Garnor

The system that oDesk wants to implement  is flawed!

Why?

Answer:
You need to sort out the clients first!

Things that need to change!

1) Do not allow clients with unverified payment methods to post projects.

2) Do not allow clients to keep posting jobs and then cancelling them. You could use a 3 strikes system! Meaning if the client posts 3 jobs and cancels 3 times in a row! The client will get suspended for 1 month

3) On fix price projects! If the freelancer has done the work and the client stops communicating even after oDesk tries the communicate with the client that Client should be suspended to protect other freelancers and protect the connects.
The freelancer will lose if you don't address the client issues first! 

Only then should you implement the changes to the freelancers working practices.

oDesk needs to do a lot more to protect its freelancers

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
43 of 231

Hi Ian David John, 

It is true that a lot of clients need to improve their performance as well and we have already taken steps in that direction by sending out warning notifications to clients. In the coming months, we will be launching more initiatives to improve the quality of client behaviors.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
44 of 231

"1) Do not allow clients with unverified payment methods to post projects."

A well-intentioned system should be welcoming to new clients and freelancers, so I can't agree with this.  However, I would agree that limits need to be placed on clients who clearly don't want to hire through oDesk or are obvious scams.  There are spammers that I have flagged multiple times, but oDesk keeps allowing them to post the same garbage over and over again.

Related to this, the job search feature should allow freelancers to better filter based on client information.  Right now, I seem only to be able to restrict based on their number of hires.  We certainly should be able to eliminate based on unverified payment methods, too.  I'd also love to hide any further garbage from a client I've already flagged.

And, getting back on topic, that is the great sin of this Membership/Connection initiative. It does nothing to address the real flaws with oDesk.  If they actually made changes that are worth more, they wouldn't have to externalize the cost to something that is unrelated to me actually doing a job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
45 of 231

"1) Do not allow clients with unverified payment methods to post projects."

A well-intentioned system should be welcoming to new clients and freelancers, so I can't agree with this.  However, I would agree that limits need to be placed on clients who clearly don't want to hire through oDesk or are obvious scams.  There are spammers that I have flagged multiple times, but oDesk keeps allowing them to post the same garbage over and over again.

Related to this, the job search feature should allow freelancers to better filter based on client information.  Right now, I seem only to be able to restrict based on their number of hires.  We certainly should be able to eliminate based on unverified payment methods, too.  I'd also love to hide any further garbage from a client I've already flagged.

And, getting back on topic, that is the great sin of this Membership/Connection initiative. It does nothing to address the real flaws with oDesk.  If they actually made changes that are worth more, they wouldn't have to externalize the cost to something that is unrelated to me actually doing a job.

Hi Darrin,

My point number 1

Is aimed at protecting the freelancer from wasting his connects on clients that have no verified payment method. All clients must have verified payment methods it's the only way to go because no one wants to waste their connects on uncommitted clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
46 of 231

"Is aimed at protecting the freelancer from wasting his connects on clients that have no verified payment method."

Freelancers can already tell if the client posting a job is unverified.  I saw nothing in oDesk's new plan that suggested it would be changed.  If you think it's a waste, just don't do it; nothing changes from that respect.

Highlighted
Community Guru
47 of 231

Because of the connect system I can no longer apply to those projects this is why I say all clients payment methods should be verified before a client can post a job. Meaning i cant afford to take a risk as it cost me money to do so

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jeri B Member Since: Feb 15, 2010
48 of 231

What is the source of this comment:

"Is aimed at protecting the freelancer from wasting his connects on clients that have no verified payment method."

I have searched 8 pages and can  not find it.

WHAT is aimed at protecting the freelancer?

We aren't going to be able to bid on clients unless they have a verified payment method? (Hallelujah! That is .... if clients are not allowed to post UNLESS they have a verified payment method... never happen!)

Half of my won jobs are for postings without payment methods and they have been VERY lucrative because I know how to sell. Please don't take this ability away.

Unless oDesk says they are going to delay this until March 1--or not do it at all--I think we should accept the fact that it IS happening and put our positive energy into educating ourselves. If misinformation is going to start outweighing constructive dialogue or the true facts, perhaps this subject needs to just be closed. I actually just saw a poster actually insult a group of people which is taking it too far.

Highlighted
Community Guru
49 of 231

Hi Jeri,

My comment is correct! Connects Cost Us Money I am not going to invest my connects in client that do not even give their credit card details!

On the old system of quota! This was not a problem because it never cost me anything and my credit is returned after 7 day anyway....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jeri B Member Since: Feb 15, 2010
50 of 231

Got it ... thanks!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS