Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memberships and Connects - Community FAQs

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Kristen B Member Since: May 20, 2009
211 of 231

I am not happy about this new change either.

I was with Elance for over 5 years until they just recently kicked me off because I wasn't "marketing myself enough". Translation: I wasn't purchasing their memberships and using enough connects.

I always liked Odesk because they never charged for looking for work. Why should I be charged to look for work? (And we all know the Basic package is not enough)  It's bad enough I have to pay Odesk their fees when I do work. That should be enough.

When I worked for Odesk and Elance at the same time I made over $30,000 a year working on Odesk. You want to know how much I made on Elance that same year? ZERO. And it wasn't for a lack of trying on Elance. I did apply for jobs and I did pay for the membership, it's just that the competion is so fierce online, you have to put in a TON of applications to get a job.

On odesk I probably put in at least 50 -100 applications each week and with that, I might be lucky if I get one new client.

Now that odesk is doing this new system, I won't be able to find work as much. I don't know why odesk would do this to themselves. The more money I make, the more they make, right? If I'm not making any money, neither are they....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
212 of 231

@Kristen B wrote:

I am not happy about this new change either.

I was with Elance for over 5 years until they just recently kicked me off because I wasn't "marketing myself enough". Translation: I wasn't purchasing their memberships and using enough connects.

I always liked Odesk because they never charged for looking for work. Why should I be charged to look for work? (And we all know the Basic package is not enough)  It's bad enough I have to pay Odesk their fees when I do work. That should be enough.

When I worked for Odesk and Elance at the same time I made over $30,000 a year working on Odesk. You want to know how much I made on Elance that same year? ZERO. And it wasn't for a lack of trying on Elance. I did apply for jobs and I did pay for the membership, it's just that the competion is so fierce online, you have to put in a TON of applications to get a job.

On odesk I probably put in at least 50 -100 applications each week and with that, I might be lucky if I get one new client.

Now that odesk is doing this new system, I won't be able to find work as much. I don't know why odesk would do this to themselves. The more money I make, the more they make, right? If I'm not making any money, neither are they....

I have never been kicked off Elance for not marketing myself enough. I hardly every look for work there and still have an account.

And the new connects you DON'T have to buy an upgrade. There is the free account. Not sure why everyone thinks that they have to upgrade. Same goes for Elance. You didn't have to purchase an upgrade to apply to jobs there.

I do believe oDesk is looking for another way to make more money, no doubt about it, but as a business aren't we all looking for ways to make more?

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
213 of 231

Suzanne, an FYI for everyone who doesn't have time to read everything posted: if you apply for a job, and no one ever gets hired, you only get a refund for the connects used to apply if the client or oDesk cancels the job. Not sure how often clients cancel jobs, but I'm sure some don't, so there is a definite risk that the connects you purchase as a plus member can be wasted on a job where no one gets hired. I just learned this today and it increased my determination not to upgrade to paid membership, and I hope most freelancers do likewise to send oDesk a message that connects harm rather than benefit freelancers. Then maybe, if no one upgrades, the connects system will be scrapped.

Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
214 of 231

@John K wrote:

Then maybe, if no one upgrades, the connects system will be scrapped.

Unless it's all been an elaborate April Fools joke (Note to oDesk: there is still time to claim that this is what you had intended all along! Smiley Happy), it seems unlikely that the system will be scrapped any time soon after they've bothered to put it in place.  At best, you might see them handing out more Connects if they find a dip in their 10% income and not enough uptake from memberships to balance it out.

Highlighted
John M Member Since: Apr 14, 2015
215 of 231

As a guess, I'd say odesk were either or both of the problems of (a) too many job applicants (employers getting swamped with speculative desperate applicants) and (b) newbie freelancers being discouraged by the competition.

Presumably there's somebody doing the data analysis of employer satisfaction, and want to sharpen the competition to lower pay rates, while sumultaneously drawing in more job offers.

So Hmm.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
216 of 231

John,

I am in a totally different frame of mine on connects, as I work generally long term contracts. I have had a couple short term. I will never use all the connects in a free account, so I will not ever need to buy an upgrade. I have never used all my quota ever on jobs applying. 

Even with the first two jobs I work now I did not use all my connects. But I do understand those who worked fixed rate and small jobs it is a problem.

It just is not an issue for me as I will never need 60 connects a month. I am pretty selective on which jobs I apply to and work enough hours most of the time I generally only have a few hours available here and there that once in awhile I apply for something to pick up a few extra hours. I have to support my horse  habit somehow Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
217 of 231

I don't know when and where but I think I read when people asked about number of connects neded per one single job and answer was something like 1 connect per 1 job. Now I see it can be 2 connects per 1 job.

It's like I now have only 30 or only 15 application quota for a whole month. Besides, have to spend a lot of time filtering out jobs because job feed isn't working.

What are you people doing to this website?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
218 of 231

Hi Vesna,

At the outset, most jobs are going to require 2 Connects. In the future, applications will require anywhere from 1 to 5 Connects, depending on factors such as the size and type of job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
219 of 231

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Vesna,

At the outset, most jobs are going to require 2 Connects. In the future, applications will require anywhere from 1 to 5 Connects, depending on factors such as the size and type of job.

Just the other day I was assuring people they won' t need to pay $10 because 60 connects are enough. I was so wrong. Smiley Sad

Edit:

With your basic plan I can apply to only one job per day. IF!

I get hired in only 8 % of jobs I apply to (went back through each application in past 120 days and counted). I'm around average in my field (per your stats); as a freelancer I get hired approx frequently as anybody else. 

No hire (at all) in 40 % cases. What I'm going to do now when I can't apply to more than one job per day? Pay $200 each month for 200 connects and you are telling me there will be jobs which demand even 5 connects?

Stats by me (03-20-2015 01:01 PM)

8 % me got hired: >> if I was paying $200 each month for connects, that's like $184 thrown to garbage.

40 % of all jobs no hire >> community of freelancers who pay in whole will lose 40 % of their money for nothing

Maybe you should ask technical team to hide the application archive from us so we can't see bare numbers anymore. Then you'll be able to say that connects are for better good and no one will be able to prove different.

I don't know how I'm supposed to survive in such environment. I even don't get invitations as before. On Elance, where I worked far less in only three weeks I get more invitations than in Odesk in three months. How should I explain this to myself? Is it mine or yours bad marketing effectiveness?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
220 of 231

Hi Vesna,

With such a high Success Score and great work history, you shouldn't have any problems standing out. According to your profile Stats, you already are being hired more often than average among other freelancers in your category. Moreover, with the new connects system, we expect freelancers to apply to fewer jobs they are better fit for. Therefore, with less competition you will need to send less application to land a job.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS