Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memberships and Connects - Community FAQs

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
91 of 231

Hi Garnor

I love oDesk!  As do all my other fellow freelancers! This is why so many freelancers are leaving you messages here.

I understand I am only a freelancer and client on oDesk. I would like to ask oDesk management if they would hold off implementing the Memberships and Connects project, Due  to the extremely high level  of concern from not just me but so many other freelancers and even some clients too!

I am asking this because many freelancers will be affected! Peoples income could be wiped out!

I respectfully ask for you to postpone the plans to implement  your Memberships and Connects project until you!:

Sort out the clients issues first!

Things that need to change before Memberships and Connects project is implemented !

1) Do not allow clients with unverified payment methods to post projects.

2) Do not allow clients to keep posting jobs and then cancelling them. You could use a 3 strikes system! Meaning if the client posts 3 jobs and cancels 3 times in a row! The client will get suspended for 1 month

3) Don't allow clients to keep jobs open longer than 36 hours without logging in to their oDesk account to check the applicants

4) On fix price projects! If the freelancer has done the work and the client stops communicating even after oDesk tries the communicate with the client that Client should be suspended to protect other freelancers and protect the connects.

By the way these are only my points I am sure there are many other points freelancers would like to add along with my 4 points,

The freelancer will lose if you don't address the client issues first!

Only then should you implement the changes to the freelancers working practices.
oDesk needs to do a lot more to protect its freelancers!

Please give my request your upmost attention.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
92 of 231

Hi Ian,

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We'll continue to do everything we can to keep our marketplace secure and protect both freelancers and clients. The new features we're implementing, starting with Escrow Protection, are aimed at achieving these goals.

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
93 of 231

Hi Vladmir,

The point you are missing! You said "starting with"!

I wrote in my message you need to address all these points BEFORE the Memberships and Connects project is implemented !

What's the rush? It would not hurt oDesk to postpone the plans to implement  your Memberships and Connects. For say a month or two so you can make the requiered changes on the client side first! After all Memberships and Connects project is for the benefit of all freelancers?

This is why I was asking oDesk to postpone the plans to implement  your Memberships and Connects project until you!:

Please see below:

Things that need to change before Memberships and Connects project is implemented !

1) Do not allow clients with unverified payment methods to post projects.

2) Do not allow clients to keep posting jobs and then cancelling them. You could use a 3 strikes system! Meaning if the client posts 3 jobs and cancels 3 times in a row! The client will get suspended for 1 month

3) Don't allow clients to keep jobs open longer than 36 hours without logging in to their oDesk account to check the applicants

4) On fix price projects! If the freelancer has done the work and the client stops communicating even after oDesk tries the communicate with the client that Client should be suspended to protect other freelancers and protect the connects.

By the way these are only my points I am sure there are many other points freelancers would like to add along with my 4 points,

The freelancer will lose if you don't address the client issues first!

Only then should you implement the changes to the freelancers working practices.
oDesk needs to do a lot more to protect its freelancers!

Please give my request your upmost attention.

Shrikant N Member Since: Mar 7, 2011
94 of 231

I saw everybody shown issues with these new feature not only freelancer but also clients as well. I hope oDesk will re-look into it and keep the oDesk as simple as it is.

Ace Contributor
Faheem K Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
95 of 231

They are hearing you guys , Yes 

But they are not gonna change what they have decided.

It's not matter to them who is being hit with these new Features.

Can we really think , that they are serious in doing any good for us.

They don't want to share Their Research .

Not willing to Remove the Paid part .

Yet they will listen to us to make room for their changes

They will do only things that will benefit oLance. 

Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
96 of 231

There are clients I meet on Linkedin that I'm bringing to this site as it makes things easy for me... but with all these... I will have to rethink my game plan.. Sure, will take me quite some time to have contracts, legal stuff and invoicing fixed but there are apps for that.

Just sayin'

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
97 of 231
Moderator Valeria K wrote some time ago, "As a client you may start getting fewer applications from freelancers, but since we expect freelancers to put more effort into their applications and cover letters and be more selective about the jobs, it should generally improve your hiring experience." I challenge anyone at oDesk to show me a cover letter or application I wrote that didn't address my qualifications for the job in detail. I won't be putting 'more effort' into applications because I was already putting in everything I could think of that would benefit the client. And exactly how am I supposed to be 'more selective' in applying? I apply for jobs I can do properly that will pay me a fair amount in return. Is there some other strategy for selecting jobs Ms. Valeria can share with us contractors?
98 of 231

Hi John,

Valeria was referring to freelancers that don't put enough effort into customizing their job applications and as a result end up coming across as spam. The strategy you outlined is exactly what we want to see being applied across the board by our users. Membership and Connects will help improve the quality of the hiring experience for both freelancers and clients.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
99 of 231

Vladimir wrote, Valeria was referring to freelancers that don't put enough effort into customizing their job applications and as a result end up coming across as spam. The strategy you outlined is exactly what we want to see being applied across the board by our users. Membership and Connects will help improve the quality of the hiring experience for both freelancers and clients.

You're missing or overlooking the point, Vladimir. oDesk is penalizing freelancers who 'put enough effort into customizing their job applications' because other freelancers don't. That's unfair. In the meantime oDesk hopes to make a lot of easy money selling $1 Connects. Suppose everytime you bid on eBay, you had to pay eBay some money, even if you didn't win the bid? I think eBay will lose a lot of business. But that's a lot like what you're doing with Connects. It's only 1 dollar, but dollars add up. I signed up at oDesk BECAUSE it didn't have a membership requirement. Yes, you can point out that the basic membership is free. So this is what I will do. I will use my 60 Connects. Once the 60 Connects are used, I will look for work in another freelancer site, then come back to oDesk the following month when I have another 60 Connects. I WILL NOT buy Connects. And I think I won't be alone in this. I don't like not knowing what the average bid is on a job offer, but I like paying to apply for jobs even less.

100 of 231

In an earlier post, Vigen pointed out that with the $10 a month 'Freelancer Plus' plan, you get exactly 10 more Connects than the free 'Freelancer Basic' plan. If 70 isn't enough, oDesk will *generously* sell you Connects for $1 a Connect if you have the 'Plus' plan. If you're in 'Freelancer Basic', once you use 60 Connects, they won't let you buy or upgrade to 'Plus' until the next biling cycle. Oh and you can also rollover up to 70 unused Connects at the end of the billing cycle if you have Freelancer Plus. You can read the details here: https://support.odesk.com/entries/61069914

I guess we should be grateful the first 60 Connects are free. I'm wondering once the membership plans are adopted--although I'm hoping it won't be--what percentage of Freelancers will go for membership. $10 for 10 Connects is a pretty high price. I'm one of those contractors who don't mind doing small quick jobs for fixed price, but with this pricing, I'll have to think hard about bidding on small jobs now. I guess oDesk doesn't want business from clients who need small jobs done quickly.