Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memberships and Connects - Community FAQs

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Vigen A Member Since: Aug 27, 2010
61 of 231

Garnor, sir, no offence but I am really not convinced in these researches.

What I've read on oDesk, is that you suggest not to use prewritten applications that are all the same and don't address the client's post personally...

I find it quite true about oDesk's responses about these new upcoming features. About 47 pages in the original thread and 5 pages in this thread, every single user is saying they are not happy with the upcoming changes with the contanct points and whatnot and you keep saying the same thing over and over. "We have done research and we believe it will be beneficial for you" well about all of the freelancers believe it won't, what research then will show you that it will really?

I'm not trying to be offencive at all, merely trying to understand why do you believe these will be good htings for us? The whole '1-5 contact points for a job" is like a gambling thing or like a game.  In the gaming industry there is a term called Free4Play which always accomanpies the other term Pay2Win.

It'd be fair if we could have a major voting setup where people would vote whether it'd be a good thing or not. If we trust the research then it's going to be the majority voting YES to the new changes and so that will merely help those who are skeptical realise that these changes are indeed the majority's desire. Untill then I'm afraid I'll be stnading with the group of skeptics.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Pat P Member Since: Nov 26, 2013
62 of 231

Let's see the research.

That would be the quickest, most legitmate way to substantiate your claim that this is was the majority of users wanted.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
63 of 231

Frankly Pat, we don't plan to publish all research we've done at arriving to these decisions. I doubt however, that you'll dispute the feedback we consistently get from freelancers on oDesk, that better access to good job opportunities is at the top of the list for areas they'd like to see improved. This is what we're aiming to achieve here, in part through these two new solutions.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Pat P Member Since: Nov 26, 2013
64 of 231

Garnor,

You don't have to publish all the research. Just research pertaining to this and how a paid service would benefit everyone.

This is what I know from my professional advertising experience:

You can go from $1 to $2, $2 to $3 and people will complain but not be outraged. Going from free to paid is almost impossible.

When Netflix upped their subscription people were upset. I was at first. But then Netflix was honest and let everyone know that it was due to rising cost associated with licensing the movies from the studios.

People complained but Netflix honest and it was an acceptable/understandable answer.

By claiming that you have done research and then...what reallu is getting underneith peoples' skin is how you (not you personally, unless you wrote the blog) is how you try to disguise this as something that freelancers indicated they wanted.

Just show some sort of imperical data to back up this claim.

I think 48 pages on the last post and 6 on this post...all negative warrants that much.

Think about it...it would shut everyone up. It would of seriously been better if oDesk just said "it was due to operational costs" or even, "we feel the value of our service warrants an additional costs"

That's actually what Act-On did.

What does this mean?:

"I doubt however, that you'll dispute the feedback we consistently get from freelancers on oDesk"

Highlighted
James E Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
65 of 231

Garnor, please provide the research with users that you keep claiming has happened. We'd all be very interested to see it - partly because we're all astonished that there are any freelancers who asked for this, and partly because it's abhorrently obvious that no such research took place.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
66 of 231

I would be very interested in seeing some stats around the research that took place as well. If there is no evidence of the research, it didn't take place as far as I am concerned. While I'd still dislike the change very much, it would help seeing that at least some portion of the user base likes it. At the moment we're at 0%.

Highlighted
Community Guru
67 of 231

Hi James,

Here's a copy of my reply to Pat on the same question: Frankly Pat, we don't plan to publish all research we've done at arriving to these decisions. I doubt however, that you'll dispute the feedback we consistently get from freelancers on oDesk, that better access to good job opportunities is at the top of the list for areas they'd like to see improved. This is what we're aiming to achieve here, in part through these two new solutions.

To confirm, we have done extensive research and analysis in making these decisions and considering the impact to the marketplace. This includes assessing the current marketplace dynamics and the success rates of applying for and winning jobs. 

Highlighted
James E Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
68 of 231

Hi Garnor,

Surprise surprise. You won't give us the research because no research took place. It's insulting to our intelligence that you think we are going to fall for this.

By you, I am of course referring to oLance management. I am aware that you just have to robotically repeat what comes up on your screen and this isn't an attack at you personally.

I cannot express the sheer anger I have at a company that not only breaks promises and disadvantages its paying customers, but it does so whilst trying to convince us that it is for our benefit. We are utterly outraged.

You say you are listening, have you listened to the fact that everybody here dislikes the proposed ideas? If 100% of the community disagrees with the move and you don't care, then what is the point of this forum?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
69 of 231

"We appreciate the comments here"

Then why did you delete my entire response post?  Is oDesk really so unable to stand direct criticism?

Highlighted
Community Guru
70 of 231

Hi Darrin,

We will continue to moderate posts that violate our Community Guidelines. We are not removing/editing posts simply because they express disagreement or criticism. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS