Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memberships and Connects - Community FAQs

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
81 of 231

Hi Devin,

Apologies for the confusion. I'm working on getting a clear answer for you on this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
82 of 231

@Devin D wrote:

This question was not clearly answered.

So you are taking away the avg bid we see now currently on oDesk under the new basic plan?

In the webinar it was said that under the plus plan you would see the min, Avg, and max bid. And that when you apply on the basic plan NOTHING would look different then it does now. Then it was stated that on the basic plan you would not see the avg price when bidding only on the plus plan!

Please clearify what I will see on the basic plan.

Devin,

I ask this three times in the other thread and all three times I was ingnored. It seems to be a question they don't want to answer. The way it reads is we will no longer be able to see average bid. I suppose they are going to take away what clients have been paying as well as this has been a tool many of us use to bid or not bid on a job.

With their silence it only means that we will no longer be able to see average bid. So we have to go in applying for a job blindly. Which really sucks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
83 of 231

Hi Suzanne,

My apologies for not answering your question on the separate thread. I'm working on getting the right info so I can respond. I'll get back to you shortly.

Highlighted
Community Guru
84 of 231

Hi Suzanne and Devin,

Attached is an image of current visibilty you may see on job posts. To confirm, this visibilty (circled in red) will only be made availablel to members on a Plus membership plan in the future.

Highlighted
Community Guru
85 of 231

Garnor,

Thank you. As I suspected you are taking away our only way of telling what the average bid on the job is. Which makes it difficult for anyone who doesn't want to upgrade their membership.

This is one of the tools that I use to tell me if I even want to bother with a job, besides looking at what the client has paid for previous jobs.

So previous jobs and rate of pay and current jobs with what they are paying is going to stay?

I don't need connects. I have enough work right now but for a few hours available for some short term or a few hours, but when I do apply I am selective. But the point being here if you are taking tools away that help evaluate if I even want to apply for a job. So if I want to evaluate I will be forced to buy a membership which i don't want.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
86 of 231

Hi Suzanne,

The Client's Work History and feedback as well as the Hire Rate will still be displayed for freelancers with the free membership to view.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
87 of 231

Valeria,

Thanks as this is part of what I look at whether I am invited or apply for a job. I like looking over feedback and previous history. This tells me if I want to even consider a job or not.

Highlighted
Community Guru
88 of 231

Thanks for the follow up Suzanne. That is the plan, to make this visibilty available as part of the Plus plan. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
89 of 231

Hi Garnor,

I am trying to make the most out of a bad situation please take on board my points below:

I don't think you should block any freelancers applications  Why?

1) I have applied for so many projects where the client has asked for USA, Canada  only freelancers! I still applied for the project! When they see my portfolio the client ended up hiring me! This has happen so many times to me. Also the same is true on price! Some clients say they want the lowest price I still bid high and won the contract! So please don't block applications based on these parameters i have mentioned.

2) I am a employer on oDesk too!  I don't mind going through lots of applications!  It's easy for me to select i don't need oDesk to censor my job applications .

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Pat P Member Since: Nov 26, 2013
90 of 231

I am an Native English speaker...from the USA. It has been my experience both as an employer and freelancer that the biggest issue clients have has nothing to do with the pool of applicants. If fact it's been a positive point.

The biggest complaint I've hear is with communication and time zones. Both are just the nature of the beast with a world wide market place.

Also, the town hall meeting was...shall we say....

Though I thank you for taking the time but you clearly didn't address key issues and repeatly answered the same quesitions over and over while glossing questions that would have exposed the realy driving force beyond the change.

I firmly believe if oDesk would have just come out and said "Look the value we provide we feel warrants subscription fee". Fine, people will be upset...as you mentioned earlier it's unavoidable and I agree. But the extent would be severly lessened with the truth.

No one is buying the explanation oDesk currently provides especially with not substainting the claim of research with no research provided.

It's like listening to a republican on Fox News.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS