cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mexican Withholding Tax on Upwork Earnings

gabyo21
Gaby O Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
31 of 98
It seems here Upwork is just going with the easiest solución for them and doesn't really care about it's Freelancers, at least not enough to figure this new tax requirente that applies to digital plataforms, not Freelancers using them, hey, no ofende yo Uber drivers but I'm not an Uber driver. This is very disappointing!
1899a972
Gerardo S Member Since: Feb 18, 2021
32 of 98

Hello everyone, right now I'm living in Mexico but I'm here on a student visa that does not allow me to work I do have an RFC from a scholarship I used to have until August 2020, I am still here waiting on my master's degree expedition and then I have to apostille it. The main reason I'm in Upwork is that I can't work here so I'm not sure if I should pay Mexican taxes less if I should use that RFC now that I no longer have a scholarship. I am Venezuelan Should I try to change my Upwork account?

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
33 of 98

Hi Gerardo,

Unfortunately, we cannot provide specific tax advice. Since we want to make sure you receive the specific information you need, we suggest you contact a trusted tax advisor.

-Joanne
Untitled
1be4f80b
Andrea R Member Since: Feb 20, 2021
34 of 98

Hi, I've been trying to fill the W-8BEN form and have a lot of questions. 

I am a mexican freelancer and have trouble with this section: "Taxpeyer's U.S. Tax Identification number (SSN or ITIN), if required". Do I need a US bank account? Can someone guide me. 

Also, once I've filled the form, what do I do with it? Do I have to send it somewhere?

Thank you and I hope someone can help me understand,
Andrea. 

egaruth
Nikola S Moderator Member Since: Jul 2, 2020
35 of 98

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that the Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately. You will be able to complete this form on your profile. 

To provide Upwork with your Form W-8BEN information

• Go Settings  Tax Information
  • Provide us with your legal name and address

You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. For more information please feel free to check this help article.

Additionally, you may want to check these threads to help you get started on Upwork:

Thank you,

~ Nikola

Untitled
f73cdc9f
Camila C Member Since: Jan 11, 2021
36 of 98

Hello everyone.

Today I was going to add my RFC number since I just saw the post regarding the issue, but the link doesn't work. I tried to use the Tax information in setting but It link me to a broken page.

I would like to know how to fix it

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
37 of 98

Hi Camila,

Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you’re still experiencing the same issue?

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
f73cdc9f
Camila C Member Since: Jan 11, 2021
38 of 98
Good day.
I just tried it and it still doesn't work.

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
39 of 98

Hi Camila,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with this concern. 

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
samantharop
Samantha R Member Since: Jul 17, 2018
40 of 98

Hello Raymundo,

I totally agree with you,  freelancers should not have to pay like if we were the platform providing the service.

I would like to ask  for your help, how do you declare your upwork transfers of money to  the SAT?

I appreciate in advance your time and generosity sharing some knowledge with me